• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should people who pay no income tax be allowed to vote?

most of the time. there are obviously examples like paris hilton who didm t do jack **** but most people worked hard for their money and the poeple who dont have a lot of money are generally dumb.
so...since i'm not 'loaded' like billy gates, i'm a knuckle dragging neanderthal?? i'm going to suggest you rethink that one...you just, for all intents and purposes called 99.99999% of this worlds population terminally stupid.

I would bring up heinlein, but I think we already had that conversation. However, that thought was a theme of the book starship troopers.

Yea, I kinda fell in love with the guy after our more formal introduction by you.
Indecently, we both had our b-day about a week ago.

I do.

That's a fallacy. Pretty sure more people would mourn the death of Bill Gates than the death of Soccer Mom Sue.

silly statement that you can't possibly prove. and the fact that you think poor people become less valuable let me know your posts should be ignored hence forth. so, thanks!

so...since i'm not 'loaded' like billy gates, i'm a knuckle dragging neanderthal?? i'm going to suggest you rethink that one...you just, for all intents and purposes called 99.99999% of this worlds population terminally stupid.

the super rich are also an exception. Theere is no way antone in this country should be worrying about money. If one sets their mind to it, one could be a millionaire before theyre 30. It takes smarts and effort.

the super rich are also an exception. Theere is no way antone in this country should be worrying about money. If one sets their mind to it, one could be a millionaire before theyre 30. It takes smarts and effort.
so....how old are you, and are you a millionaire yet? the 'how old' part is what i'm most curious about.

Well, I don't really care what the founders thought as they are dead and today it is our country. However, those two statements seem like a contradiction to me. Either we are equal in a democracy (in certain fundamental ways) or we are not. Looking at what you stated, it seems to me that the founders were hypocrites.
Half of our founders owned slaves. And you SHOULD care what they thought because we're living under their Constitution. It's being used to whip us half to death every day.

@ Rough -- Where in my OP do you see that EYE think that way?

Half of our founders owned slaves. And you SHOULD care what they thought because we're living under their Constitution. It's being used to whip us half to death every day.

With the way your questions were worded it seems that way to me, but I apologize if that's not your sentiment.

Do you think that people that don't pay income taxes shouldn't have the right to vote?

@ Rough --Pfft!! No apology!! Devil's Advocate. Did turn up one rather interesting character though, didn't it? ;-)

@ Rough --Pfft!! No apology!! Devil's Advocate. Did turn up one rather interesting character though, didn't it? ;-)

I'm amazed, stupefied and baffled by him all at once. I stand in awe, lol.

Well, just for the sake of argument, let's say you can't vote because you don't pay taxes. Just by virtue you've reached a certain age and are going to school . . . why should that entitle you to vote? Why should you have a say in how tax money in spent when you don't contribute?

Well when some one votes they just don't vote for what money will be spent on. Besides that as a student I am very politically active. I have campaigned for both Democrats and Republicans, been to anti-war protests and Tea Parties. I have met most of my representatives here in MA and where my parents live in SC as well as written to them. In fact I am on a first name basis with one of my representatives in SC. Given that I fail to see why I don't pay an income tax I should not be able to vote. Hell I am probably more politically active than those that do pay income taxes.

@ Soccer Boy -- YAY for you!!!!!!! You probably are more politically active than those who do pay income taxes. Good job!! You make me proud to be an American, young man. (Maybe I'll get to vote for you one day!)

(Question prompted by a recent post.)

If 37% of Americans pay no income tax isn't there a real danger that these same people don't CARE how much our government spends? Don't WANT to control entitlements?

Why should people who don't "put their money where their mouth is" be allowed a voice in determining how money is spent?

My signature line reads: "Those who rob from Peter to pay Paul will always have Paul's support." Isn't there a real danger in that?

well, let's see...does an Army Private who is married with 2 kids pay taxes?

aside, don't people who put fuel in their cars pay federal tax?

but then she applies for food stamps and welfare and ss.

That makes no difference to me. All people should deserve equal dignity based on their humanity.

I appreciate the constitution and value their contribution in creating it, but I believe the baton gets passed with each generation.

That makes no difference to me. All people should deserve equal dignity based on their humanity.

so youre saying people sholdnt get what they deserve.

you sound like the the government when they bailed out GM and the others.

People have never got what they deserved, at least not in totality. Nature does not dispense justice, people do, and we have courts for that.

i think you should get what you deserve, absolutely.

(Question prompted by a recent post.)

If 37% of Americans pay no income tax isn't there a real danger that these same people don't CARE how much our government spends? Don't WANT to control entitlements?

Why should people who don't "put their money where their mouth is" be allowed a voice in determining how money is spent?

My signature line reads: "Those who rob from Peter to pay Paul will always have Paul's support." Isn't there a real danger in that?

You're suggesting, really, that the more money you earn = more concern and care for your country.
Never mind the nature of your job and what you do in your life and how you volunteer yourself. . . how you live doesn't matter - what only matters is how much money you make.

And never mind that the right to vote was granted before income taxes were first levied by the government.

Please, educate yourself on the history of our tax-system *before* you cultivate such uninformed beliefs.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005921.html

But *hey* Never mind that logic, there - I guess Bernie Madoff and loves our country more than our Homeless Veterans and our military men and women who use their government-granted benefits and tax credits to bring home a return every tax season.

Last edited:
i think you should get what you deserve, absolutely.

good. i guess you dont care if we stop giving out food stamps, welfare and ss.

you sound rather young and naive to me, lacking 'real world' experience.

real world experience is only what losers term their losses. ask mark zuckerburg or lebron james or a number of young people if they needed real world expereiecne wehn they were entering their professions. Age is but a number, you could also ask alexander the great about that.

real world experience is only what losers term their losses. ask mark zuckerburg or lebron james or a number of young people if they needed real world expereiecne wehn they were entering their professions. Age is but a number, you could also ask alexander the great about that.
so....everyone who is not rich, or blessed with athletic ability , is a loser in your opinion....yep, that does it for me, you have to be a 14-15 yr old kid....still havent answered my question....how old are you, and are you a millionaire, or, as you have labeled the rest of us, a 'loser'???

so....everyone who is not rich, or blessed with athletic ability , is a loser in your opinion....yep, that does it for me, you have to be a 14-15 yr old kid....still havent answered my question....how old are you, and are you a millionaire, or, as you have labeled the rest of us, a 'loser'???

no, not at all. there are many winners. good doctors are winners. so are good lawyers. people who give generous donations to charities are winners. there are many musicians, actors, actresses, and writers who are winners.

my definition of loser is as follows: people who advocate for the prog. tax code while knowing they arent close to the highest bracket. i also describe losers as people who say about everyone should have free healthcare and food stamps and ss, yet they dont pay nearly enough in taxes to make a difference because they are in a low income bracket.

Back
Top Bottom