• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Novak Djoković be allowed to play at the Australian Open?

Should Novak Djoković be allowed to play at the Australian Open?

• No!

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • yes

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • other

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Djokovic is expected to be deported once all legal challenges have been exhausted. Djokovic is subjected to harsh treatment by the government to deny him white privilege. If he is allowed in because he is a privileged white migrant, it sets a bad precedent for boat people from Indonesia who have been treated so harshly by the Australian government.

I hope he gets kicked out down under as soon as possible!

Djokovic is expected to be deported once all legal challenges have been exhausted. Djokovic is subjected to harsh treatment by the government to deny him white privilege. If he is allowed in because he is a privileged white migrant, it sets a bad precedent for boat people from Indonesia who have been treated so harshly by the Australian government.

I definitely agree, though the Aus government is not free of hypocrisy on immigration. They do very little to protect against visa overstayers, while keeping those boat people out. Apparently boat people pay thousands of dollars each to reach Australia, while facing quite unnecessary risk at each border crossing and at sea. They could with the help of an immigration agent, spend that money on a tourist visa and a plane ticket, but they're information poor.

I think the minister (who is Hawke not Dutton, I must re-correct myself on that) made a huge mistake citing Djoko's anti-vaxxer beliefs as a reason to revoke his visa. Far more consistent with how little people are treated, would have been to cite that Djoko lied on his visa application. That's a no-no, don't pass Go and don't collect $200K dollars blunder in any country. At best you get to apply again after a waiting period. In the United States you'd be ruled out of citizenship and possibly put on the No Fly for it.

Whether this was a plain blunder, or a strategic "mistake" to give Djoko another chance in court, I really can't say. I know nothing about the Minister. In fact, I've forgotten his first name!

Fantastic news, finally he is getting his just rewards for breaking the rules or trying to abuse the rules.

I can't get vaccinated because I just had covid, yeah, nonsense. He just did his normal schedule visiting busy events while supposedly corona positive, even though his own country mandates quarantining when tested positive. The he was not supposed to have visited other countries between his own country and Australia, but he broke that rule too when he was training in Spain after his positive test and his arrival in Australia.

And that "ooh someone did not correctly fill in my visa" is not going to work on the masses of people who get booted from Australia for visa errors. He is not above the law so he just has to go and like any other visa rule breaker banned from Oz for 3 years.

Is he now on his way out of Australia at last?

I lost all remaining respect for him when he tried to foist blame onto some underling. I wasn't sympathetic to his ignoring rules everyone else had to follow but blaming someone else was just crass.
He signs the document, he is responsible. It is a pathetic attempt to make his underling responsible for the rule breaking he committed.

Don't let the airplane door hit you ass on the way out.

That's mean, but funny enough to justify it.

Djoko is running out of Opens to make a record. But empires are not won just by battles won, the great commanders have to attend to the paperwork too. Any country which isn't so corrupt a tennis tournament can buy it out, takes lying on an immigration document very seriously.

Confirming claims is difficult, even with foreign governments, and particularly with events that only appear on Youtube. The penalty has to be harsh, for even making a deniable mistake.

You hit the last match point out, Djoko. Respect the umpire, respect your opponents, and get off the court.

That's mean, but funny enough to justify it.

Djoko is running out of Opens to make a record. But empires are not won just by battles won, the great commanders have to attend to the paperwork too. Any country which isn't so corrupt a tennis tournament can buy it out, takes lying on an immigration document very seriously.

Confirming claims is difficult, even with foreign governments, and particularly with events that only appear on Youtube. The penalty has to be harsh, for even making a deniable mistake.

You hit the last match point out, Djoko. Respect the umpire, respect your opponents, and get off the court.

France is pretty hard line, so he's going to end up in Johnson's corrupt London.

Another garden party @#10?

FJN4yUEWYAYZcH5

The Australian court did not rule on whether he posed a threat to health and safety, but rather on whether the minister was within his rights to deny him entry. They say he is.

Isn't it a damn shame when the world's elite are required to follow the same rules as the rest of us?

This supremely fit man got a ride through the airport on a cart meant for disabled people. Perhaps it's to keep him from being exposed to members of the public? Or is it a courtesy so it doesn't look so much like him being deported under armed guard?

Anyway he's gone. Back in Belgrade.

His next chance to play an Open is the French Open, May 22 to June 5. However France also requires vaccination; in fact they're even stricter.

It's not all doom and gloom for Djocko, I hear he got a window seat on the flight home!

Actually, Morrison is already hinting that his automatic three year ban on applying for a visa if you lie on your application, might be cut.

It's not all doom and gloom for Djocko, I hear he got a window seat on the flight home!

Actually, Morrison is already hinting that his automatic three year ban on applying for a visa if you lie on your application, might be cut.

Nice. Planes generally pump the cabin air OUT along the sides. So maybe the window seat was for the protection of others from Djoko's diseased body!

Yeah. Three years would be disproportionate. I doubt he wants anything more to do with Australia though.

I would have been really pissed if he'd been allowed to play. But I can't help being a bit sorry for him now. I suppose athletes often have to deal with such disappointments, due to injuries.

No. He should stop being a baby and get the vaccine. Good for Australia for making a high-profile example of him.

No. He should stop being a baby and get the vaccine. Good for Australia for making a high-profile example of him.

23 seconds in

Back
Top Bottom