• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should NATO Intervene If Putin Uses Chemical Weapons in Ukraine?

Should NATO declare war against Russia if they start to use chemical weapons in Ukraine?

• Total voters

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
What do you think?

I asked you first. ;)
I said I’m not sure and am trying to figure it out. What about you? Are you similarly unsure?

NATO didn't go into Syria when chemical weapons were used. As far as I know, Assad still hasn't been charged with anything, either.

What's one more war crime? We're just sitting back while Putin does this entire shit show. Why would NATO change its mind over chemical weapons but not thermobarics, bombing hospitals, shooting evacuees, etc? I ask, bitterly.

NATO didn't go into Syria when chemical weapons were used. As far as I know, Assad still hasn't been charged with anything, either.

What's one more war crime? We're just sitting back while Putin does this entire shit show. Why would NATO change its mind over chemical weapons but not thermobarics, bombing hospitals, shooting evacuees, etc? I ask, bitterly.
Because we did not come there to restore the Soviet Union, as many here say, and not for the recognition of the Donetsk and Lugansk republics, and not even for Ukraine. You look very small.
The gauntlet has been thrown on a much more serious confrontation and the alliances of the future have already been outlined...
I do not know what historians will call it years later, but I can say one thing - woe to the vanquished... there will be no mercy.

I think if Putin crosses that line more than “intervention” is needed. NATO should declare war on Russia and proceed accordingly.

Personally I do not understand what the nato countries are waiting for? So what ukraine is not a nato nation, what putin is doing is an act of war. Does the world just sit by and watch as he does as he pleases killing innocent people? NATO should have been doing the same thing we did with saddam, building up forces in nato countries until there are enough to confront putin directly in ukraine.

On one hand I think we should already be involved. Every day we dither more civilians are murdered. OTOH what difference does it make if you get blown up shot, or killed by a chemical? All are murder.

Does Putin want to pull us into this? If so why? If he wants to pull the west Into direct confrontation this could be the way to do it.

Personally I do not understand what the nato countries are waiting for? So what ukraine is not a nato nation, what putin is doing is an act of war. Does the world just sit by and watch as he does as he pleases killing innocent people? NATO should have been doing the same thing we did with saddam, building up forces in nato countries until there are enough to confront putin directly in ukraine.
Good point. Bush senior went into Iraq because Kuwait was invaded. But I guess this is different? Oh that's right we don't have overwhelming military superiority over Russia like we did Iraq. If we don't have overwhelming superiority we don't commit. There is a precedent for that. The days of the commitment of WWI and WWII are over.

OTOH building up forces could be a challenge. Any supply ships could be taken out by Russian. submarines. Aircraft going into theater shot down. Russian tactical nukes could hit target in countries all around Ukraine including Western Europe. It could be a hell of a mess.

Last edited:
Good point. Bush senior went into Iraq because Kuwait was invaded. But I guess this is different? Oh that's right we don't have overwhelming military superiority over Russia like we did Iraq. If it could be a challenge we don't commit. There is a precedent for that.

OTOH building up forces could be a challenge. Any supply ships could be taken out by Russian. submarines. Tactical nukes could hit target in countries all around Ukraine including Western Europe. It could be a hell of a mess.
It already is a mess for the folks of ukraine and putin isn't the only country with military force, we also have nukes in case putin is interested?

It already is a mess for the folks of ukraine and putin isn't the only country with military force, we also have nukes in case putin is interested?
But is it worth the price to make the rest of the world a battlefield and perhaps radioactive land that is worthless not to mention the death toll?

Sure we have nukes too but can we count on him to consider that a deterrent? He has said he won't hesitate to use them.

Does Putin want to pull us into this? If so why? If he wants to pull the west Into direct confrontation this could be the way to do it.

I have been wondering about this for a few days now....

Chemical weapons know no boundaries given they become airborne. I think it would be justified for border countries to react militarily. If Poland gets involved then NATO will. Somehow military action needs to start with the Balkans and Nordic nations. That's how it seems to me but I have such limited knowledge and information. We have no choice but to trust NATO leaders are acting on solid information and advice.......but something has to change, the Ukrainians, brave as they are, are being butchered needlessly.

If chemical sensors show that the chemicals have crossed into NATO territory, then they are absolutely justified to respond.

if NATO is to have any credibility they have to intervene regardless of whether he uses chemical weapons or not.....otoh if and when they do Putin will cut off their gas and throw the world into economic collapse.....the result will be WWIII......he has free Europe and the free world right where he wants us....whatever we do will result in catastrophe.....we have to decide are we serious about real freedom or do we sell our souls to a dictator to maintain the peace.......WWII deja vu.......NATO does not have the fire power to tackle Russia by themselves......the US will have to carry the load......Putin knows that the US is polarized unlike anytime since our Civil War (the result of 20 years Murdoch's propaganda cajoling and hammering at under educated fools and black America giving up on their youth) and that real leadership is lacking......the best scenario for the world would be a Russian coup to take Putin out but apparently most Russians either support him or are too scared to do so......if Putin wins out this time you can bet there will be round two

What do you think?
No matter how many horrors are inflicted upon Ukraine, you’re still left at square one: direct military combat between NATO and Russia —-> WWIII.

Watch The Day After.

Just my opinion on this, which of course don't mean a hell of a lot, but I don't think he would use ICBM's. If he uses anything nuclear it will be smaller scale tactical against Ukraine. However the effect would probably be the same as if that won't pull the allies in nothing will and we are pathetic cowards.

Are nuclear weapons chemical weapons?

Back
Top Bottom