• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should NATO Intervene If Putin Uses Chemical Weapons in Ukraine?

Should NATO declare war against Russia if they start to use chemical weapons in Ukraine?

• Total voters
Just my opinion on this, which of course don't mean a hell of a lot, but I don't think he would use ICBM's. If he uses anything nuclear it will be smaller scale tactical against Ukraine. However the effect would probably be the same as if that won't pull the allies in nothing will and we are pathetic cowards.
When measured against the end result (global nuclear war), the distinction between an ICBM and a small scale tactical nuke is like the distinction between being shot by a bullet made of steel or a bullet made of ice.

Of course not.

Nuclear weapons are overwhelmingly a chemical reaction.
----

Quoting: Chemical weapons are classified as weapons of mass destruction (WMD), though they are distinct from nuclear weapons, biological weapons, and radiological weapons. All may be used in warfare and are known by the military acronym NBC (for nuclear, biological, and chemical warfare).

Personally I do not understand what the nato countries are waiting for? So what ukraine is not a nato nation, what putin is doing is an act of war. Does the world just sit by and watch as he does as he pleases killing innocent people? NATO should have been doing the same thing we did with saddam, building up forces in nato countries until there are enough to confront putin directly in ukraine.
I think eventually they need to, they can't let this stand. If the economic pressure doesn't work, then it is inevitable.

As an aside, its so hypocritical and full of double standards

Was anybody calling to intervene when we did the same thing in Afghanistan, Iraq, syria, and many other places where we bombed the shit out of residential areas and killed so many civilians? Or what about what Israel does to Palestinians and everybody stands by. Or the slaughter of civilians in Yemen as we support the Saudies against them? Just because those people are brown skinned, poor and muslim, but Ukranians are white so not its so horrible. We inflicted the same horror on the people in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And we invaded Iraq on false premises and lies. Granted, it was run by a brutal dictator, not democratic society, but still

The US has used chemical weapons on it's citizens. Why should we care about the Ukraine? If it's OK for us....

What do you think?
If Putin uses chemical weapons? Everything I have read and heard recently indicates that the US and Ukraine were plotting and scheming to create chemical and biological weapons to use against Russia! That, as I understand it, is why Russia was forced to go into Ukraine. Well, that and Nazis.

If Putin uses chemical weapons? Everything I have read and heard recently indicates that the US and Ukraine were plotting and scheming to create chemical and biological weapons to use against Russia! That, as I understand it, is why Russia was forced to go into Ukraine. Well, that and Nazis.
I have no doubt that everything you read and hear says that. Try switching media sources.

What do you think?

No, otherwise such declarations of non-NATO nations doing ‘icky’ things to people in non-NATO nations would have been included in the NATO charter. That would effectively create a situation where NATO becomes the ‘world’s police’ - turning a defensive pact among NATO member nations into an offensive pact including actions between non-NATO nations.

NATO didn't go into Syria when chemical weapons were used. As far as I know, Assad still hasn't been charged with anything, either.

What's one more war crime? We're just sitting back while Putin does this entire shit show. Why would NATO change its mind over chemical weapons but not thermobarics, bombing hospitals, shooting evacuees, etc? I ask, bitterly.
Agreed. If we weren't willing to bomb Assad for chemical use, after the Obamanation made that a Red Line, why would we do it to Russia? Pretty much any war crime they think up, they figure they can get away with, because of past experience with American foreign policy, Pussification.

Good point. Bush senior went into Iraq because Kuwait was invaded. But I guess this is different? Oh that's right we don't have overwhelming military superiority over Russia like we did Iraq. If we don't have overwhelming superiority we don't commit. There is a precedent for that. The days of the commitment of WWI and WWII are over.

OTOH building up forces could be a challenge. Any supply ships could be taken out by Russian. submarines. Aircraft going into theater shot down. Russian tactical nukes could hit target in countries all around Ukraine including Western Europe. It could be a hell of a mess.
NUCLEAR WEAPONS.

I would say that except for the nuclear weapons - the US and NATO have superior military to Russia. The only reason Russia has any power is that they hold the single largest nuclear arsenal in the world.

So you think Trump is a genius. Well, that's like your opinion, man.
at conning some men and taking their money, yeah.

Putin ****ed up big time though. should have moved during trump and the West wouldn't be united.

During the 2nd Iraq war people supported the invasion saying explosives are made from chemicals and as such chemical warfare.

What do you think?
The major problem is that the US and NATO response must be consistent with the rules we laid out for the Russians heading into this. If we (US and or NATO) told them in February that the use of chemical warfare would result in our intervention, we should intervene if they use such weapons. If we did not set those bounds in February, then suddenly drawing the line and getting involved would be escalatory. In a game of nuclear brinkmanship, clarity is key. We should respond consistent with how we told them we should respond.

During the 2nd Iraq war people supported the invasion saying explosives are made from chemicals and as such chemical warfare.
That was an American ruse to get us into a war with Iraq. Unfortunately it was not terribly dissimilar to what Putin has done here. Unfortunately, our aggression against Iraq lays some of the groundwork of rationalization for Russia's adventures in Ukraine.

I don't think we directly declare war on them but I think at that point a no fly zone over Ukraine would be an appropriate step. If Russia decided to ignore the no fly zone then what happens next would be on them.

Personally I do not understand what the nato countries are waiting for? So what ukraine is not a nato nation, what putin is doing is an act of war. Does the world just sit by and watch as he does as he pleases killing innocent people? NATO should have been doing the same thing we did with saddam, building up forces in nato countries until there are enough to confront putin directly in ukraine.

I agree, when Russian staged forces for an obvious invasion nato should had equaled the forces and prevented the invasion…

I don't think we directly declare war on them but I think at that point a no fly zone over Ukraine would be an appropriate step. If Russia decided to ignore the no fly zone then what happens next would be on them.
What if Russia puts a no fly zone of Ukraine and shoots down Nato planes in that area, is that in Nato?

The major problem is that the US and NATO response must be consistent with the rules we laid out for the Russians heading into this. If we (US and or NATO) told them in February that the use of chemical warfare would result in our intervention, we should intervene if they use such weapons. If we did not set those bounds in February, then suddenly drawing the line and getting involved would be escalatory. In a game of nuclear brinkmanship, clarity is key. We should respond consistent with how we told them we should respond.

That was an American ruse to get us into a war with Iraq. Unfortunately it was not terribly dissimilar to what Putin has done here.
It was from people on political forums trying to justify the invasion after the failure to find the vast stockpiles of WDMs.

That would very like lead to a war. If we did not put that option on the table in February, we should not be doing that now. We can only escalate in ways we told them we might escalate, unless you are ready for war with Russia.... which likely is the end of civilization.

You need to find more truthful reading sources…

What if Russia puts a no fly zone of Ukraine and shoots down Nato planes in that area, is that in Nato?

No because Russia would be declaring a no fly zone without the permission of Ukraine. That’s the key difference.

That would very like lead to a war. If we did not put that option on the table in February, we should not be doing that now. We can only escalate in ways we told them we might escalate, unless you are ready for war with Russia.... which likely is the end of civilization.

Eventually we are probably going to have to step up. Nukes or no Nukes Putin will have to be stopped because this doesn’t end with Ukraine.

The US has used chemical weapons on it's citizens. Why should we care about the Ukraine? If it's OK for us....
Back each of these statements up with a credible source..... Don't make statements you can not support.

Back
Top Bottom