• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should NATO disband?

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Europe seems strong enough to handle the Russian and Middle East situation.

We could cut our defense spending down from 3.4% to 2% and use that money for social programs.

We should cut the bloated defense budget tremendously, yes. However, getting rid of NATO only benefits our enemies, like Russia and China, so to that, absolutely not. One really has to ask the question why Trump is so intent on hurting our allies and helping our enemies.

Right now... no

But continue with the Trump administration policy of having them pay their fair share!

We should cut the bloated defense budget tremendously, yes. However, getting rid of NATO only benefits our enemies, like Russia and China, so to that, absolutely not. One really has to ask the question why Trump is so intent on hurting our allies and helping our enemies.

This a contradictory argument. If we have enemies necessitating us promising our blood to a bunch of cucked wine sipping ingrates then we also need to spend lotsa military money

This a contradictory argument. If we have enemies necessitating us promising our blood to a bunch of cucked wine sipping ingrates then we also need to spend lotsa military money

Ladies and gentlemen, this guy right here pretends to be a Christian. Mind-blowing.

Oh and FYI, America always is the one dragging the rest of the NATO members into war, not the other way around.

Ladies and gentlemen, this guy right here pretends to be a Christian. Mind-blowing.

Oh and FYI, America always is the one dragging the rest of the NATO members into war, not the other way around.

I don’t see how criticizing “allies” who’s citizens hate us is unchristian. You would have to show the theological principle at work.

We shouldn’t go to wars in foreign countries across an ocean. There’s enough domestic enemies to deal with now

Yes, Nato should disband

I don't understand why you'd disband NATO?
You can cut defense spending however you want it's up to you and still be part of NATO.
Why would you not want the help of NATO if you're attacked?

Right now... no

But continue with the Trump administration policy of having them pay their fair share!

Fair share of what?
NATO is a defensive organisation and countries are free to spend whatever they like on defense.
The UK has made sure they hit the 2% spending but we can't order any other nation to do the same as that's not the job of NATO.
You can't join a voluntary club where people pay whatever membership fees they feel like paying and then moan that people aren't paying enough just because you pay the most.

If you want to pull out of the UK or Germany go right ahead we can't stop you but the US can't order either country to increase defense spending if they don't feel they need to.

We could cut our defense spending down from 3.4% to 2% and use that money for social programs.

Ask me in December. ;)

But if things DO get out of hand we can be sure of one thing:

tenor.gif

NATO is an organisation without a mission.

A creation of the Cold War, it should have been put to sleep long ago. Instead it's been a force for out of theatre war, and it has signally failed to secure a collective security for Europe in the post Cold War world.

In short, a post Cold War disaster.

No. America should get out of NATO though.
You could probably cut your defense spending that much just by shutting down all your foreign facilities and bringing those people all home.

NATO has only once invoked the mutual defense pact, after America was attacked on 9/11. Two Portugese soldiers died because America was attacked. How many Americans have died for Portugal?
Two Latvians, too.

I don’t see how criticizing “allies” who’s citizens hate us is unchristian. You would have to show the theological principle at work.

We shouldn’t go to wars in foreign countries across an ocean. There’s enough domestic enemies to deal with now

Spreading hate like you do on this forum and actively hating your political opponents is not christian.

NATO is an organisation without a mission.

A creation of the Cold War, it should have been put to sleep long ago. Instead it's been a force for out of theatre war, and it has signally failed to secure a collective security for Europe in the post Cold War world.

In short, a post Cold War disaster.
You can whistle in the dark until your lungs burst, your Kremlin employers are getting neither the three little Baltics back, nor the rest of Eastern Europe.

you could still cut your defense spending down to 2% and still spend more than any other nation on the planet by a 100 bill or so AND keep NATO as a strong democratic military alliance.

The American military budget currently represents almost 40% of global military spending. Plenty of room to reallocate a few hundred bill to domestic needs and still be #1 by a long shot.

domestic enemies? You mean your fellow citizens are enemies of "your" state? Let me guess, you don't consider "them" to be patriotic or real citizens.

don't look know but your fascism is showing. Goes nice with the goosestepping you seem so adept at demonstrating to all here, tho.

domestic enemies? You mean your fellow citizens are enemies of "your" state? Let me guess, you don't consider "them" to be patriotic or real citizens.

don't look know but your fascism is showing. Goes nice with the goosestepping you seem so adept at demonstrating to all here, tho.

People who want to repress my rights and kill me are not my friends. And I will never pretend so.

People who want to repress my rights and kill me are not my friends. And I will never pretend so.

Says the man who openly advocates authoritarianism.

You do not have enough credibility to accuse anyone else of wanting to repress rights, when that is exactly what you want to do yourself.

Spreading hate like you do on this forum and actively hating your political opponents is not christian.

It sure does seem like he hates Europe.
We don't all drink wine though.

Fair share of what?
NATO is a defensive organisation and countries are free to spend whatever they like on defense.
The UK has made sure they hit the 2% spending but we can't order any other nation to do the same as that's not the job of NATO.
You can't join a voluntary club where people pay whatever membership fees they feel like paying and then moan that people aren't paying enough just because you pay the most.

If you want to pull out of the UK or Germany go right ahead we can't stop you but the US can't order either country to increase defense spending if they don't feel they need to.

The United States for many years has paid more than their fair share. Now countries are paying more than in the past and the US less. Only fair!

NATO is a relic left over from the Cold War. When the USSR fell apart and the Warsaw Pact disbanded, it was mission completed. Two other treaty organizations were disbanded after the cold war. SEATO and CENTO, but not NATO. One has to wonder why? Why disband two, but keep one?

Keeping NATO might have made more sense if the U.S. and other NATO countries had abide by the Bush-Gorbachev agreement on the unification of Germany. That NATO wouldn't expand beyond the German border. Like you, I believe the EU is strong enough to take care of themselves. That is if they want to and are willing.

Off hand, it sounds like a bad idea. Our NATO allies supported us when we were attacked, they're a thorn in Putin's side, and represent a front line for defensive weaponry.

NATO should have been disbanded shortly after the Warsaw Pact was dissolved in 1989. The fact that is still remains is purely a result of US hegemony and the desire to spread US influence into former Warsaw Pact nations to punish Russia for creating the 70-year monstrosity that was the USSR. The really pathetic part is that US hegemony has been waning since the 1970s, but our leaders are still pretending that the US has the same influence it had 50 years ago, which it clearly does not.

Back
Top Bottom