• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should mods be elected?

Should mods be elected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PakPuk

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Should mods be elected?

I am going to go with no, mainly due to my personal experience.

I used to be a mod on a political minded gaming forum, after a while there were suggestions like yours right now. I was appointed and those of us who were appointed kept our positions but new "community mods" were added. All it did was cause a whole bunch of drama and a headache for the owner as well as us appointed mods. It added bureaucracy to an internet forum, completely unnecessary.

All it will cause is factionalization and drama.

I used to be a mod on a political minded gaming forum, after a while there were suggestions like yours right now. I was appointed and those of us who were appointed kept our positions but new "community mods" were added. All it did was cause a whole bunch of drama and a headache for the owner as well as us appointed mods. It added bureaucracy to an internet forum, completely unnecessary.

Don't we already have that under the present system?

I'm going to say yes and that there should be a recall available.

Bureaucracy, factionalilzation and drama happens at every election;) No taxation without representation. No modding without representation.

Bureaucracy, factionalilzation and drama happens at every election;) No taxation without representation. No modding without representation.

This is also an internet forum, not a country.

True but it is still a community.

It is a community, but I do not think it needs democratic representation because it just does not matter. The site functions perfectly fine regardless. All it will do is divide the community.

It is a community, but I do not think it needs democratic representation because it just does not matter. The site functions perfectly fine regardless. All it will do is divide the community.

I think every community deserves democratic representation whether it be an internet forum, a school board or a country. It functions fine now but that would be like saying the lights still work in communist China. The community is already divided along their opinions so why can't those opinions be represented in the modding team?

I must say the current mods will probably dislike this thread being made.

No. The forum is privately owned and not a democracy. That said, I think DP has a good balance of liberal and conservative moderators...and almost of them do a fairly good job.

If I owned and operated a site like this, or any site for that matter, I would do what I god damn please with it. If people don't like the mods, that the powers that be have selected, go to another site. Simple as that. This ain't even up for negotiation, if I had my way. But I don't. This ain't MY site. If there ever comes a day I can't deal with the rules and regulations or moderation, I will politely make my discreet exit.

But after 10 solid years here, and over 10k posts, that's highly unlikely. :2wave:

No. Mods need to be unbiased, intelligent, fair minded and able to work as part of a team. These are things you generally don't find in the sort of people who'd stand for election for a position of authority on the internet.

If I owned and operated a site like this, or any site for that matter, I would do what I god damn please with it. If people don't like the mods, that the powers that be have selected, go to another site. Simple as that. This ain't even up for negotiation, if I had my way. But I don't. This ain't MY site. If there ever comes a day I can't deal with the rules and regulations or moderation, I will politely make my discreet exit.

Well has anyone even asked the owner? If he refuses fair enough he owns the site.

No. Mods need to be unbiased, intelligent, fair minded and able to work as part of a team. These are things you generally don't find in the sort of people who'd stand for election for a position of authority on the internet.

If you come to a political forum you are inevitably going to be biased? The only way you would get unbiased modding would be if you got people who were completely not interested in politics to mod the forum.

I think every community deserves democratic representation whether it be an internet forum, a school board or a country. It functions fine now but that would be like saying the lights still work in communist China. The community is already divided along their opinions so why can't those opinions be represented in the modding team?

Which was likely your reason for starting it to begin with.

Well has anyone even asked the owner? If he refuses fair enough he owns the site.

Man, any communication I ever have with the Debate Politics powers that be, is usually me getting spanked for one thing or another.

I used to know who the owner was in the early days. Or, I think I did. But I don't think I have heard from that person in years. Maybe. I dunno. I do frequent a lot of similar sites. I could be mixed up.

True but it is still a community.

And that is the point. the essence of debate is that an opinion matters. And if that is true, then we as a community should have an opinion and that opinion should count for something. Right now - it counts for nothing as far as the questions of how this place should be run.

This is a pretty good place on balance. You can usually find a pretty good discussion here. But there are mod abuses and things wrong with the system that need to be discussed and then looked at for possible changes to make the place even better.

Should not there be some voice... some input .... some amount of self determination for change and reform in areas that we thing would make this place even better?

Actually, I do seem to recall there being a rule regarding discussion of moderation. I think there is a thread dedicated to that. "Where's My Binky?"

Anyways, I would, in good intention, advise you to be as respectful to our moderators as you can. And if you can't help yourself but to complain, learn the rules how to do that properly before you go off half-cocked. It could cost ya points. Just sayin'.

Not really I just don't like the mods being unelected.

I don't really believe that. The obvious answer here is that you are not required to stay here if you don't like the way it's run, but I suspect that I know your type. You're not content with changing your situation, you think everyone else should change to suit you.

I do not see this ending well.

Moderator's Warning:
Thread closed pending review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom