• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should married people or people with children get tax breaks?

Johnny

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
1. Should married people or people with children get tax breaks?
2. Do you think this is a fair system?

I have to say no. Marriage and having children are choices an it's not fair to penalize single folks through higher taxation just because they're single.

Yes, they should and yes, it's fair. Marriage breeds social stability and having children is essential to the future of the nation. These behaviors absolutely should be rewarded by the State.

children are an invaluable investment in the future of a society, it should be encouraged, and tax breaks are a good way to encourage it.

Isn't the United States overpopulated? Is it really necessary to encourage birth? People will have children and I doubt the tax breaks motivate this as they're not enough to offset the cost anyway.

Thoughts?

Isn't the United States overpopulated?

Maybe. I would suppose it would depend on your standards. But a steady rate of population growth is essential to a steady rate of economic growth and a strong birth rate is necessary to maintain the ratio of workers to retirees. Some people argue that a higher rate of immigration can fill this demand, but such a policy threatens to undermine the integrity of our culture. We can only afford to assimilate as many immigrants as we do because, unlike Europe, we have succeeded in maintaining healthy birth rates.

Is it really necessary to encourage birth? People will have children and I doubt the tax breaks motivate this as they're not enough to offset the cost anyway.

Obviously, we cannot afford to offer enough tax breaks to offset the cost of raising children. But we have seen the dangers of falling birth rates in Europe and Japan, and we are subject to the same social pressures discouraging reproduction-- decadent consumerist lifestyles and Malthusian paranoias. I do not think we can afford to stop encouraging birth rates, and we need to find more social and cultural methods of doing so.

No to both. A tax break shouldn't be given simply because you signed a license with someone else.

I'm also against child credits due to the fact that it's exploited. Women who can't afford children often have them for this reason, along with qualification for myriad social programs.

It encourages dysfunctional behavior. If you can't afford a child, don't have a child.

No to both. A tax break shouldn't be given simply because you signed a license with someone else.

I'm also against child credits due to the fact that it's exploited. Women who can't afford children often have them for this reason, along with qualification for myriad social programs.

It encourages dysfunctional behavior. If you can't afford a child, don't have a child.

I am dubious about your claim that people have children for the tax credits. Do you have any information on this?

Anecdotal. Nobody is going to just plain admit "yeah I get knocked up repeatedly for gubmint money".

Ok, put it this way - they're either doing it to live on the dole, or they're ridiculously stupid. Either way, I'd like to put an end to it.

Anecdotal. Nobody is going to just plain admit "yeah I get knocked up repeatedly for gubmint money".

Ok, put it this way - they're either doing it to live on the dole, or they're ridiculously stupid. Either way, I'd like to put an end to it.

Child tax credits in no way pay for the costs of having a child. I would be surprised if anyone is doing it for that reason.

Perhaps you are thinking of welfare?

Of course not. Oh wow, they signed a piece of paper. Big whoop. No, they shouldn't receive tax breaks for signing a piece of paper.

Of course not. Oh wow, they signed a piece of paper. Big whoop. No, they shouldn't receive tax breaks for signing a piece of paper.

what about having children? i've been lead to understand there's more to that than signing paper.

1. Should married people or people with children get tax breaks?
2. Do you think this is a fair system?

I have to say no. Marriage and having children are choices an it's not fair to penalize single folks through higher taxation just because they're single.

No they shouldn't. Families and people with kids will disproportionately use public services and roads and such. There is no reason to force single people to subsidize others having children. Having children is a personal choice and the consequences are to be held by those making the choice; not others around them. There should be no tax break for kids in the least, if anything you should have to pay more. I don't see why people with kids shouldn't have to pay their way. Sure, there are nice things for society with people having kids. But we're doing great with reproduction, we're at replacement, and there is no reason someone should be able to negate their federal tax liability just by having kids.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, these people with kids should stop forcing single people to subsidize them. From tax breaks from kids, to benefits on things like mortgages; everyone is equal and everyone is the same and everyone should pay their fair share.

Hell yeah they should. You know how much crap my girlfriend wants for our house once we get it? I need all the extra money I can get. Also is someone in here seriously trying to suggest that people getting a $1000 tax credit is gonna make them rich or something? I honestly can't wait to get the tax credit for 2011 filing so that I can afford to contribute more to my babies "get out of my house/college" fund.

Hell yeah they should. You know how much crap my girlfriend wants for our house once we get it? I need all the extra money I can get. Also is someone in here seriously trying to suggest that people getting a $1000 tax credit is gonna make them rich or something? I honestly can't wait to get the tax credit for 2011 filing so that I can afford to contribute more to my babies "get out of my house/college" fund.

By making me and all the other single people basically pay your way. Nice.

By making me and all the other single people basically pay your way. Nice.

Hold on did you get a bill from me? I've been filing as single (and will for at least another year) and I get plenty back. Not once have I ever thought "****ING MARRIED PEOPLE WITH THEIR KIDS!"

Hold on did you get a bill from me? I've been filing as single (and will for at least another year) and I get plenty back. Not once have I ever thought "****ING MARRIED PEOPLE WITH THEIR KIDS!"

The money has got to come from somewhere, yes? It's not like our expenses go down when you have kids. Plus families tend to use public utilities and services much more than single people, including things like parks and roads. There are tons of breaks on rent and mortgage and all sorts of things married people get; and to make up the windfall single people are charged relatively more for the same crap. So before you fly off your handle there, maybe you should really consider what you're saying. I'm paying a bigger share, I'm paying yours and every other married person and their kids way. Cause the expense is still there. The roads exist, the parks are there, and it all has to be maintained somehow.

I scoff at the people who laughed at the notion that "It takes a village", because in reality they aren't paying their fair share and putting it all onto single people to make up the difference. I don't see why I have to be financially liable for your decision.

There are a lot of ways you can lookat this. A child creates tax revenues as people expand into more vehicles, bigger houses, school fees paid by parents, and then eventually the child themselves becoming a tax payer.

There are a lot of ways you can lookat this. A child creates tax revenues as people expand into more vehicles, bigger houses, school fees paid by parents, and then eventually the child themselves becoming a tax payer.

Meanwhile single people subsidize that loan for the vehicles, the mortgage on that house, and still pay for public schools. Nice.

Meanwhile single people subsidize that loan for the vehicles, the mortgage on that house, and still pay for public schools. Nice.

i don't see the logic, single people would still pay the same regardless of whether someone had a child or not.

Children can't care for themselves so I think it is a good idea to give parents a break for that care. When I think of all the other wasteful **** on which the government spends its money the little bit they give to parents is not all that bad.

i don't see the logic, single people would still pay the same regardless of whether someone had a child or not.

Yeah we do pay the same regardless. And we pay MORE than the people having kids. Because while married people and families get all the breaks, the bills still have to be paid. The bid deal is that I don't use schools, and I don't use public utilities and services and parks as much either. Yet I'm paying the bigger share of it. Why don't other people pay their own way. Children can't care for themselves. But people go into parenthood knowing this. I shouldn't be financially liable for your decisions. It's great to have kids, there are wonderful perks to society because of it. But that doesn't mean you can take my money and make me help you financially raise your kids. That's your choice and your decision and your consequences.

Having children is a personal choice and the consequences are to be held by those making the choice; not others around them. There should be no tax break for kids in the least, if anything you should have to pay more.

They are performing a valuable public service and should at least be recognized as such.

The bid deal is that I don't use schools, and I don't use public utilities and services and parks as much either.

You may not be using the schools right now, but you benefit from their existence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom