• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Marijuana be legalized?

Should Marijuana be legalized?

• Total voters

BCR

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Simple but controversial question. It's a well know fact that it is less dangerous than Tobacco and Alcohol yet we imprison almost 1 million people every year for simple possession. The government spends billions every year fighting Marijuana yet it just proves to be futile. It is also considered medically useful for over 200 diseases and illnesses.

Ok my intro is somewhat biased

to counter my point

Marijuana makes black people go crazy and rape white women. It also kills brain cells and takes away all motivation and turns you into a pacifist!

the unprompted hyperbole about the opposition does not help the case, nor is it a good set up for what if any potential this thread/poll may have... although they usually all usually end up covering the same ground and the same pattern.

Otherwise I am on your side, as evidenced by my signature.

Last edited:
It should be legalized, but only under strict regulatory controls.

the unprompted hyperbole about the opposition does not help the case, nor is it a good set up for what if any potential this thread/poll may have... although they usually all usually end up covering the same ground and the same pattern.

Otherwise I am on your side, as evidenced by my signature.

the opposition was meant as a joke but all the things I stated were things the opponents of Marijuana legalization have used or still use as propganda against it.

I don't consider marijuana to be less dangerous than tobacco and alcohol. Just not worse than either. Whether or not marijuana takes away all motivation and turns you into a pacifist, stoners are still lazy imbeciles and they'll continue to be lampooned as such in movies even to the point of glamorization as if it's ok and it's right to be an idiot pothead loser. Something else that pisses me off is all of this bob marley crap and the pipes and bongs and such always have to have some stupid trippy design on them and there's always some idiot wearing a marijuana leaf like it's the cross or something. I hate the sight of that leaf symbol because whenever I see it I conjure up images of a legion of morons doing cartwheels, going bananas, hooting and hollering at the mere mention of 420. Very annoying lot. They want everyone to mellow and be laid back and cool but whenever they see some kind of marijuana symbol they spin around like the tazmanian devil, in a fit of pandemonium excitement. Pathetic. These bozos have helped me grow an appreciation for the massive drunken hordes who get all stoked about going to the bar for some almighty beer.

Regardless, I am all in favor of decriminalizing it and should it be sold I don't think there should be an unreasonable tax applied to it.

Last edited:
Of course it should.

I see no difference between alcohol and marijuana. There is no reason to ban marijuana unless alcohol is going to banned too

the opposition was meant as a joke but all the things I stated were things the opponents of Marijuana legalization have used or still use as propganda against it.

I got the joke, although my doubts are for others who may not, this especially holds for the second sentence. the crazy black, men raping white women - while real hysteria at one time - is about 80 years dated, the rest is still fresh and reflects others beliefs.. no sense pre-screening them and closing their minds off to reasonable debate prematurely. Take my criticism with a grain of salt, I have just seen too many threads that started out hyperbolic that have crashed and burned and that have done more harm than good.

Last edited:
I don't consider marijuana to be less dangerous than tobacco and alcohol. Just not worse than either. Whether or not marijuana takes away all motivation and turns you into a pacifist, stoners are still lazy imbeciles and they'll continue to be lampooned as such in movies even to the point of glamorization as if it's ok and it's right to be an idiot pothead loser. Something else that pisses me off is all of this bob marley crap and the pipes and bongs and such always have to have some stupid trippy design on them and there's always some idiot wearing a marijuana leaf like it's the cross or something. I hate the sight of that leaf symbol because whenever I see it I conjure up images of a legion of morons doing cartwheels, going bananas, hooting and hollering at the mere mention of 420. Very annoying lot. They want everyone to mellow and be laid back and cool but whenever they see some kind of marijuana symbol they spin around like the tazmanian devil, in a fit of pandemonium excitement. Pathetic. These bozos have helped me grow an appreciation for the massive drunken hordes who get all stoked about going to the bar for some almighty beer.

Regardless, I am all in favor of decriminalizing it and should it be sold I don't think there should be an unreasonable tax applied to it.

So I am a lazy imbecile? Wow...you'd be surpised at the sheer amount of intelligent people who have admitted to smoking Marijuana or still do.

recreationaldrugvsadrdeath02.jpg

maybe this will make you reconsider.

Last edited:
Other then being a substitute for opiates, I see no good in legalization. There simply are not enough people in this country who value personal reliance that could use it responsibly. Simply put, my desire for self preservation is greater then my desire for legalization.

Other then being a substitute for opiates, I see no good in legalization. There simply are not enough people in this country who value personal reliance that could use it responsibly. Simply put, my desire for self preservation is greater then my desire for legalization.

but health wise a daily Marijuana user is much better off than a daily user of Alcohol or Tobacco, shouldn't you give people the choice of a safer alternative. And why should government have the right to tell me what I can and can't smoke?

Last edited:
but health wise a daily Marijuana user is much better of than a daily user of Alcohol and Tobacco, shouldn't you give people the choice of a safer alternative. And why should government have the right to tell me what I can and can't smoke?

Honestly, the government can tell me what they want, but if I am not violating another individuals liberties, then I don't care. Be smart about smoking and you will never have a problem with the law.

Honestly, the government can tell me what they want, but if I am not violating another individuals liberties, then I don't care. Be smart about smoking and you will never have a problem with the law.

ok, I understand but If people are going to do it and it doesn't violate others individual liberties then why not just legalize it?

So I am a lazy imbecile?

I don't know. Are you?

Wow...you'd be surpised at the sheer amount of intelligent people who have admitted to smoking Marijuana or still do.

No, I would not be surprised and it's very likely that I still wouldn't value them for other reasons.

recreationaldrugvsadrdeath02.jpg

maybe this will make you reconsider.

What's the point of having me reconsider if I'm not into the vilification of marijuana?

ok, I understand but If people are going to do it and it doesn't violate others individual liberties then why not just legalize it?

Because people deserve a ticket if they do something stupid and get caught. Plus. I see no purpose for pot to be outside the home unless you are driving to pick it up from your dude and go home. Also, there are a lot more important things to worry about right now.

Because people deserve a ticket if they do something stupid and get caught. Plus. I see no purpose for pot to be outside the home unless you are driving to pick it up from your dude and go home. Also, there are a lot more important things to worry about right now.

Why should we continue to allow a black market and its propensity to be mired in violence to be in control of distribution? next to no harm in the users activities, yet immense harm via the distribution methods.

I don't know. Are you?

No, I would not be surprised and it's very likely that I still wouldn't value them for other reasons.

What's the point of having me reconsider if I'm not into the vilification of marijuana?

you said every pothead was a lazy imbecile and that you didn't consider Marijuana less dangerous than tobacco.

you said every pothead was a lazy imbecile

If you don't giggle at 420 references/occurances and if you don't buy framed pictures of that Bob Marley jackass and if you don't do any of that other lame/stupid pothead crap, then you're just someone who smokes marijuana and there's no reason to label you as pothead since that's like saying coke junkie or alcoholic or something.

you --don't-- consider Marijuana less dangerous than tobacco.
Is there an echo in here?

if marijuana is legalised, it needs to be highly regulated, there should be laws against smoking it in public, and driving while under its effects, selling to minors etc.

i'd prefer if it wasn't legalised, but it appears to be inevitable.

if marijuana is legalised, it needs to be highly regulated, there should be laws against smoking it in public, and driving while under its effects, selling to minors etc.

i'd prefer if it wasn't legalised, but it appears to be inevitable.

Now see, you are touching on a few of the reasons I am for legalization. With legalization comes the ability to regulate, control, and establish barriers to hinder accessibility to minors that are currently non existent.

I agree with all that you have stipulated, the one tricky part is a reliable test to show active THC as opposed to derivative metabolites that can linger in the bloodstream for weeks for the DUI aspect of it.

Simple but controversial question. It's a well know fact that it is less dangerous than Tobacco and Alcohol yet we imprison almost 1 million people every year for simple possession. The government spends billions every year fighting Marijuana yet it just proves to be futile. It is also considered medically useful for over 200 diseases and illnesses.

Ok my intro is somewhat biased

to counter my point

Marijuana makes black people go crazy and rape white women. It also kills brain cells and takes away all motivation and turns you into a pacifist!

All recreational drugs should be legalized and regulated.

Please see the link in my signature.

I think all drugs should be legalized and regulated.

Last edited:
Okay, couple of points if you want to have an honest discussion here.

Yes, it was a joke. Yes, its things used in the past by some that have been against marijuana. Its still essentially belittling those that oppose your position from the onset and suggesting from the beginning that their view point is ridiculous based on the arguments of the least rational on that side.

This would be like me starting a thread about keeping Marijuana legalizd and after making a legitimate case for it going "Or you could say it should be legalized because it has absolute 0 negative affects to anyone at any time so is absolutely safe to use before, during, or after any activity, even driving, and is less dangerous than water".

An image from a random blog isn't really going to sway those that don't agree with you.

An image from a random blog with zero indication as to how those numbers are found makes it even less likely.

Are drunk driving individuals labeled under the Alcohol listing? Are deaths from driving under the influence of marijuana alos included then? Negligent acts while under intoxication, are those included? Death attributed to long term use, if they're used how does it certify that a death occured due specifically to a specific substance? Is this just based on deaths from overdoses? Etc.

No, something like what you posted above wouldn't "Make me reconsider".

Now, at the end of all that, I'm for legalization. I think we have many of the tools in place in crafting the laws for regulating it and allowing it into the legalized market place. Sell it in situations akin to hard liquor, IE in most states, within an authorized ABC store with a 21 years old age limit (frankly I think alcohol should go down to 18, but it should be the same as alcohol). Have similar laws regarding intoxication and use in public, driving under the influence, etc that we have with Alcohol. Also use cigerettes as a baseline idea in regards to laws of indoor smoking of it in public. While I'm generally not in favor of public smoking bans, if they're in place in the state they should be applied to marijauna as well. Similar to Tobbaco in some states I imagine you'd start to see "bars" that cater specifically to marijuana users with the proper ventiliation required to be able to have it geared towards that. I am not sure of the legitimacy of a contact high in a bar situation (I know in a very confined space its possible, but more difficult for such to happen in a large open area room), but depending on that it would potentially be a more realistic raeson why to keep it out from places of business specialized in its use as it would potentially make the notion of a designated driver impossible in bars if there's a chance one with a low tolerance for such things could get a contact high.

But utlimately I see no reason not to legalize it. Its short term affects on a person ranges from less to about on par with alcohol, its long term danger is less, its intrusiveness on others around you is around the same as smoking, and its addiction level is low. It would potentially reduce the violence some on the border, would free up law enforcement resources, would generate jobs and revenue both in the private sector and public sector. Decriminalize it at least, legalize it preferably.

I 100% believe it should be legalized. But I know people personally who have smoked it and there is an obvious effect to there ability to think. They do become slower than they were previously at connecting the dots. This is not deniable. I hear different claims based on studies as to the effect or lack of effect it has on us. But I know from my own observations that there is indeed an effect.

So I wish it to be legalized. But I first wish the population to become truly educated as to what harm it does. It does harm! But adults do harmful things constantly that they feel is worth it. Let's just be fully informed and let each adult make their decision. I value my brain and thoughts enough to not want to decrease its already limited ability and so I choose not to join the fun. But I see no reason others shouldn't be allowed.

Yes, it should be legalized. Regulated similar to alcohol and tobacco. People have been 'self-medicating' since the first caveman banged his head against the wall so his broken arm wouldn't hurt so much. ;-) The best reason anyone's ever given me for not legalizing it is that it's a gateway drug. Even that falls short in my mind.

I've always believed in "follow the money." So when I ask myself why it hasn't been legalized, I have to believe it's for sinister reasons. I'm just not sure what those are. I wonder what would happen to the price of MJ if it were legalized. Taxed like cigarettes, I would think we'd still have an underground market. Don't know. Never bought any.

So I am a lazy imbecile? Wow...you'd be surpised at the sheer amount of intelligent people who have admitted to smoking Marijuana or still do.
You mean like presidents of the US? What losers they are!

Back
Top Bottom