• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should Marijuana be legalized and regulated?

Should Marijuana be legalized and regulated?

• Yes, everybody must get stoned

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • Yes, but only for medicinal and industrial purposes

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No, all those druggies can go up in smoke

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No, and we should increase current penalties

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

barfolemew

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Do people think this substance should be legalized for acces by the general public? If it was regulated by the government(like alcohol) a lot of tax revinues could be earned.

barfolemew said:
Do people think this substance should be legalized for acces by the general public? If it was regulated by the government(like alcohol) a lot of tax revinues could be earned.

Your choices are worded kinda weird dude. Just because we should decriminalize pot don't mean 'everybody must get stoned." In fact, there are few people that would probably scare the hell outta me if they got stoned.:shock:

barfolemew said:
Yes it should be legalized but I do not agree that everybody must get stoned and I do not think it should be for medical reasons only so I can not vote in the poll.

My answer would simply be yes.

Hmmmm, I did not mean to infer that "all people have to get high". I was just throwing in that song lyric. I apologize for any poor wording in the poll, I was trying to offer a choice that included recreational use.

barfolemew said:
Hmmmm, I did not mean to infer that "all people have to get high". I was just throwing in that song lyric. I apologize for any poor wording in the poll, I was trying to offer a choice that included recreational use.

Well I would not feel so all alone........

galenrox said:
lol, I'm almost always here and I'm almost always at least somewhat stoned!

But in reference to what I rpomised Deegan, kid's listen up, up with hope, down with dope!

I myself do not smoke pot anymore, I have been clean so to say for 2+ years, but I do not see anything wrong with a little buzz
asms.gif
at home or like alcohol, with a designated driver. and the tax money generated could be used for good programs such as utilities and road maintenance.

All citizens in a real USA should be able to slowly commit suicide, and legally !

This is what I think of marijuana use , drinking, and smoking, all a slow suicide... But it matters not what I think..

None of these are good; but what is far worse is someone placing themselves over others and dictating what they can and cannot do !!!
This is a form of repression and does not belong.. similar to prohibition...
Is this what we want ?
It is what we have !

I voted that pot should be legalized. It's insane the money we've wasted fighting a war that we can never win.

My only problem with legalization, is allowing the government to take control...a sure recipe for screwing things up.

Hoot said:
I voted that pot should be legalized. It's insane the money we've wasted fighting a war that we can never win.

My only problem with legalization, is allowing the government to take control...a sure recipe for screwing things up.

If the government COULD control it, I think it would already be legalized.

How can they tax weed, like they do alcohol, when you can grow your own weed that will knock your dick in the dirt? Unless you bought it, they couldn't tax it. Honestly, who would buy it when you can grow it for free in your backyard?

Theres more money to be made keeping it illegal. And, like everything else, it's all about the money. The crooks don't want it legal. That's their bread and butter. I'm SURE some of this ill begotten gain eventually filters back to the politicians in one way or another. It's up to them to KEEP it illegal. The cops don't want it legal. That would take away too way many jobs. (Unless, of course, they trade in their narc job to become a Twinkie bandit cop. :rofl )

So, just be happy that no one really cares that you, the casual smoker, sits at home tokin' up, anymore. They used to care but not anymore. Everybody has a buddy who smokes weed whether they know it or not. (Unless, of course, they don't have any buddies at all. That, I can believe in some people's cases.:roll:)

So, smoke 'em if ya got 'em. Thirty or forty bucks worth will get you through the month with a fairly consistant buzz. I know people who spend more than that on cigarettes. So what's the fuss?

Let the rednecks stomp their feet and whine about pot smokers. Who cares? They are insignificant in today's society. They are, more times than not, relics of the "reefer madness" propaganda days and their brain washed senility won't allow them think any different. So be it. I got mine. And I'm gonna get mine. I could care less if it is legal or not. Screw 'em. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
earthworm said:
All citizens in a real USA should be able to slowly commit suicide, and legally !

This is what I think of marijuana use , drinking, and smoking, all a slow suicide... But it matters not what I think..

None of these are good; but what is far worse is someone placing themselves over others and dictating what they can and cannot do !!!
This is a form of repression and does not belong.. similar to prohibition...
Is this what we want ?
It is what we have !

Well said. I disagree with you, but the way that you expressed it you make it very clear that you personally disapprove of usage, but that disapproval doesn't give anyone the right to force their beliefs on others.

barfolemew said:

:twocents: I do not want something made legal that eventually I the tax payer will have to support with my tax dollars becasue junky claiming to be in serious pain wants medical marijuana.Hell my tax dollars already help pay for abortion,moochers on corporate and individual welfare.There is proably a whole **** load of other absurd things that I the tax payer has to pay for.I do not want marijuana to be legal because some moron junky claims that only medical marijunana can help him deal with his pain.
I do not want my tax dollars being used so some junky can get high.I do not want my tax dollars being used to treat some of the junkies pretending to have a illness.I do not want my tax dollars being burned up dealing with some of the potential problems that might occur.

You can grow your own tobacco and distill your own booze, too. Most people choose to pay the heavily tax-inflated prices for brand-name cigarettes and liquor.

I voted yes, for recreational purposes. I don't like the stuff, but I haven't seen a shred of evidence that the the trillions of dollars of lost revenue, the billions of dollars we've spent fighting it, or the millions of people we've imprisoned have done anything to improve the quality of life or the good moral fiber of the people of this country.

Top to bottom, this is bad policy.

Korimyr the Rat said:
You can grow your own tobacco and distill your own booze, too. Most people choose to pay the heavily tax-inflated prices for brand-name cigarettes and liquor..

Most people do not have the knowledge or know how to make their own whiskey and most smokers like those little filters and the cured tobacco.

Now if cigarette companies started manufacturing packs of joints already de-seeded and de-stemmed for a really cheap price they could eventually remove the product out of the hands of the individuals and into the hands of businesses and government.People are suckers for conviniance and cheap prices.

jamesrage said:
Most people do not have the knowledge or know how to make their own whiskey and most smokers like those little filters and the cured tobacco.

Now if cigarette companies started manufacturing packs of joints already de-seeded and de-stemmed for a really cheap price they could eventually remove the product out of the hands of the individuals and into the hands of businesses and government.People are suckers for conviniance and cheap prices.

If marijuana were legal, it simply would not be worth the time and effort for individuals to cultivate it for personal consumption. The only reason personal cultivation is common now is because the black market makes its value artificially high, and because there's less risk of getting caught by the police if you grow it yourself.

jamesrage said:
:twocents: I do not want something made legal that eventually I the tax payer will have to support with my tax dollars becasue junky claiming to be in serious pain wants medical marijuana.Hell my tax dollars already help pay for abortion,moochers on corporate and individual welfare.There is proably a whole **** load of other absurd things that I the tax payer has to pay for.I do not want marijuana to be legal because some moron junky claims that only medical marijunana can help him deal with his pain.
I do not want my tax dollars being used so some junky can get high.I do not want my tax dollars being used to treat some of the junkies pretending to have a illness.I do not want my tax dollars being burned up dealing with some of the potential problems that might occur.

If marijuana were completely legal for any reason, your tax dollars wouldn't be spent on medicinal marijuana any more than they're spent on over-the-counter aspirin.

jamesrage said:

So, you don't have a problem with billions upon billions of tax-dollars being wasted annually on the drug war? Wouldn't it make more sense for the government to make money through taxation?

More to the point, why do you think that you would know better than someone's physician what should or should not be prescribed to treat them?

Marijuana is illegal, yet synthetically made THC is available for presciption. Marijuana is classified as having no medicinal value, yet synthetically made THC is a recognized medicine. I guess the sesame oil in which the synthetic version is suspended gives it medicinal value. That is ignoring the 400 plus other compounds (cannibinoids) in marijuana, at least 60 of which may have therapeutic uses. The government, with it's usual brilliance, only makes the psychotropic compound available.

Marijuana has many different therapeutic uses. In virtually every case, it is less expensive, and safer, than the medicines now given. So, if you are truly concerned about wasting your taxes, you should be supporting the legalization of medical marijuana.

Treatment of asthma, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, herpes, cystic fibrosis, rheumatism, emphysema, migraines and glaucoma, reduction of tumors, nausea relief, pain relief, stress reduction, antibiotic uses and apetite stimulation are a few of the medicinal uses for marijuana.

Then there are the industrial uses for marijuana, although, hemp is the more accurate term here. Hemp can produce four times the amount of cloth and fiber than cotton does. Hemp requires almost nothing in terms of pesticides and other chemicals, cotton alone uses about 50% of all chemicals used in agriculture. Hemp can also be used to make about four times as much paper, per acre and over a twenty year span (the amount of time for trees planted for that use to mature and be harvested), than trees. It is also a better quality paper and requires less chemical processing than wood pulp does. In addition, using hemp does not produce dioxin, one of the waste products of making paper from trees. One acre of hemp can replace both one acre of cotton and one acre of trees, and produce four times what each acre of cotton and wood produces. This is because the paper and the fiber are produced from different parts of the plant, fiber and cloth from the fibrous outer layers and paper from the pulp interior.

Then there's the seed. Hemp seed oil can replace the toxic, petroleum-based oils used in paints and varnishes. The oil itself is also an excellent lubricating oil. The seed is also a very good food in and of itself. It is very high in proteins and essential fatty acids. Hemp seed can be ground and used like flour and used like soybeans are currently used.

Kandahar said:
If marijuana were completely legal for any reason, your tax dollars wouldn't be spent on medicinal marijuana any more than they're spent on over-the-counter aspirin.

My tax dollars are already spent on abortion.Why wouldn't some junkie claim a illness and that only medical marijunana can help eliminate his pain and then find a way to scam the government to pay for it?

MrFungus420 said:
So, you don't have a problem with billions upon billions of tax-dollars being wasted annually on the drug war? Wouldn't it make more sense for the government to make money through taxation?

Marijuana is not the only drug involved in this drug war.It would proably make sense to make more money off of taxing drugs instead of fighting drugs.But how long will it take for the goverment to be able to tax it?Will Phillip Morris have come out with a 20 pack of class A pre-rolled joints and perhaps have a Marlboro stoner man as a mascot to accelerate the government's ability to be able to tax the stuff?

More to the point, why do you think that you would know better than someone's physician what should or should not be prescribed to treat them?

I was a stoner once.Medical Marijuana is a cover to be able to smoke the **** legally.

Marijuana is illegal, yet synthetically made THC is available for presciption. Marijuana is classified as having no medicinal value, yet synthetically made THC is a recognized medicine. I guess the sesame oil in which the synthetic version is suspended gives it medicinal value. That is ignoring the 400 plus other compounds (cannibinoids) in marijuana, at least 60 of which may have therapeutic uses. The government, with it's usual brilliance, only makes the psychotropic compound available.

Marijuana has many different therapeutic uses. In virtually every case, it is less expensive, and safer, than the medicines now given. So, if you are truly concerned about wasting your taxes, you should be supporting the legalization of medical marijuana.

Treatment of asthma, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, herpes, cystic fibrosis, rheumatism, emphysema, migraines and glaucoma, reduction of tumors, nausea relief, pain relief, stress reduction, antibiotic uses and apetite stimulation are a few of the medicinal uses for marijuana.

Let the pharmaceutical industry derive different drugs from Marijunana is it actually has any potential legitimate medical uses.
Then there are the industrial uses for marijuana, although, hemp is the more accurate term here. Hemp can produce four times the amount of cloth and fiber than cotton does. Hemp requires almost nothing in terms of pesticides and other chemicals, cotton alone uses about 50% of all chemicals used in agriculture. Hemp can also be used to make about four times as much paper, per acre and over a twenty year span (the amount of time for trees planted for that use to mature and be harvested), than trees. It is also a better quality paper and requires less chemical processing than wood pulp does. In addition, using hemp does not produce dioxin, one of the waste products of making paper from trees. One acre of hemp can replace both one acre of cotton and one acre of trees, and produce four times what each acre of cotton and wood produces. This is because the paper and the fiber are produced from different parts of the plant, fiber and cloth from the fibrous outer layers and paper from the pulp interior.

Then there's the seed. Hemp seed oil can replace the toxic, petroleum-based oils used in paints and varnishes. The oil itself is also an excellent lubricating oil. The seed is also a very good food in and of itself. It is very high in proteins and essential fatty acids. Hemp seed can be ground and used like flour and used like soybeans are currently used.

I was once a pot head,I heard all the arguments from High times magazine and Cannibus times magazine.

Here click on the "drugs in your head" and watch.It expresses my sentiments exactly.
http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html

jamesrage said:

Far more money would be saved by the taxpayer if it was, in fact, legal James. Granted some yahoo will try to get over, they usually do. Similar to methadone I suppose. But the money saved alone, on prosecution, incarceration, and enforcement will far outweigh the disadvantages of a handful of idiots trying to get over.

The tax revenues on a multi-dollar business such as marijuana would help our federal and state coffers immensely.

It's ok to be against the legalization of pot if you choose, but you really need to come up with a more better and valid reason. Perhaps health costs for the poor? Well, that means we'd have to outlaw cigarettes and tobacco too so that won't fly.

Or, you could just say, "I don't like stoners. To hell with them." That would be valid enough and nobody could prove you wrong.

Last edited:
i'm against legalization because i like weed

i feel that if it was legalized it'd probably cost more and be harder to get.

it's distribution and sale would probably be federally regulated, and the governments pathalogical hatred of weed is so intense i think they'd make prices prohibitively high. also they'd probably make an age limit of somthing outrageous like 25. and they'd control production so all the weed would be pathetically weak. so, no, i don't want more expensive harder to get weaker pot.

now, if someone could convince me that the governement would treat it exactly as they treat cigarettes, in terms of availabillity and taxation, i might join up.

new coup for you said:
i'm against legalization because i like weed

i feel that if it was legalized it'd probably cost more and be harder to get.

How in the hell do you figure that? There'd be no black market. Mass crops could be produced and prices would plummet. Even if the government were to tax a pack of joints at 500% of the cost of production and distribution, it'd be much, much cheaper.

new coup for you said:
it's distribution and sale would probably be federally regulated, and the governments pathalogical hatred of weed is so intense i think they'd make prices prohibitively high.

This is where the lobbyists step in.

new coup for you said:
also they'd probably make an age limit of somthing outrageous like 25. and they'd control production so all the weed would be pathetically weak. so, no, i don't want more expensive harder to get weaker pot.

How would their "control" of it make it weaker? If there's a demand for good pot, I guarantee you there will be a supply for it, just like there is now.

new coup for you said:
now, if someone could convince me that the governement would treat it exactly as they treat cigarettes, in terms of availabillity and taxation, i might join up.

It'd most likely be treated much more like alcohol than cigarettes.

Last edited:
jamesrage said:
Marijuana is not the only drug involved in this drug war.

But it's by far the most prevalent.

jamesrage said:
It would proably make sense to make more money off of taxing drugs instead of fighting drugs.

Exactly.

jamesrage said:
But how long will it take for the goverment to be able to tax it?

Instantaneously.

jamesrage said:
Will Phillip Morris have come out with a 20 pack of class A pre-rolled joints

Probably.

jamesrage said:
and perhaps have a Marlboro stoner man as a mascot to accelerate the government's ability to be able to tax the stuff?

I don't think any advertising campaign would be necessary to sway the people. If it were to be legalized, taxes would be the least of most people's concerns.

jamesrage said:
I was a stoner once

Me too.

jamesrage said:
Medical Marijuana is a cover to be able to smoke the **** legally.

Perhaps, but there's no denying that it has a myriad of legitimate medicinal uses.

jamesrage said:
Let the pharmaceutical industry derive different drugs from Marijunana is it actually has any potential legitimate medical uses.

They already did. It's called Marinol.

jamesrage said:
I was once a pot head,I heard all the arguments from High times magazine and Cannibus times magazine.

Same here. I thought those magazines sucked.

jamesrage said:
Here click on the "drugs in your head" and watch.It expresses my sentiments exactly.
http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html

So what are your thoughts on totally legalized marijuana, not just medicinal marijuana?

I'm thinkin' that Jay or Silent Bob would make a good "Marijuana Man.":rofl

Or maybe Snoop.

jamesrage said:
My tax dollars are already spent on abortion.Why wouldn't some junkie claim a illness and that only medical marijunana can help eliminate his pain and then find a way to scam the government to pay for it?

The government doesn't pay for over-the-counter aspirin, does it? If you don't need a prescription to buy it in the first place, why would marijuana be any different?

Kandahar said:
The government doesn't pay for over-the-counter aspirin, does it? If you don't need a prescription to buy it in the first place, why would marijuana be any different?

DOH!!! :shock:

:rofl

Back
Top Bottom