• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Marco Rubio resign his senate seat?

Should Marco Rubio resign his senate seat?

• Total voters

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I understand he spends 100% of his time running for president. I also have heard he's bored with the job.

I'm really not surprised to see you argue he should just hours after it became a talking point from Reid.

No need for that. Plenty of sitting senators run for president. He isn't running for Senate next year anyway, even if he drops out.

I understand he spends 100% of his time running for president. I also have heard he's bored with the job.

One could argue that the very best Senator is one who spends no time being a Senator. Imagine the money the US taxpayer could save if all federal elected office holders spent all their time pursuing other interests.

That said, your bias slip is showing here Pete. Why not expand your poll to include Bernie Sanders, as an example? From a position of principle, I've always felt that any elected official who wants to seek another elected office should always do the honorable thing and resign their position to do so. The very height of arrogance and self importance, in my view, was when Joe Lieberman and Paul Ryan ran both for the Vice Presidency and kept their names on the ballot for Senate and House, respectively.

No...

Any other silly questions?

Wow... you really are stuck on whatever the media tells you to think, you think.

If that's what his constituency wants.

Other.Only if Obama and other elected officials resign from their jobs from refusing to enforce anti-illegal immigration laws.

It sort of bothers me. It shows character to do the job you were entrusted by the American people to do, and not not just take the pay and run for higher office. I think the same with say Christie. All the time he's on the road campaigning when he is taking a salary to be the Governor of NJ. Obama did it and he's spent a ton of time and the American people's resources after he was elected President to be on almost constant re-election mode. Even in the second term he's done this. I think Christie and Rubio have the ability for the job, so it's a shame.

i voted no.

bush tried to make this an issue and he failed.

No, he should show up for work. I said the same of every congressman, and governor, or even an employee, who runs for President. They should do that on their own time. This is of course a different issue than the hypocrisy of democrats criticizing him over it when they do the same thing.

Or even neglecting the fact that the Senate hasnt been doing its job for a long time now, under both Reid and McConnell.

If you are elected to serve your constituents as a legislator, then you are ethically obligated to legislate, not run for President. This is probably the only time I could ever agree with a Bush.

If you are elected to serve your constituents as a legislator, then you are ethically obligated to legislate, not run for President. This is probably the only time I could ever agree with a Bush.

To be fair, how can a President run for re-election and still perform the duties of the executive?

Did anyone know that the Senate held

21 votes in october
10 in september
1 in august

Is there even really work thats being missed? The Senate only had 4 days of session in August.

I also heard there's been a ton of hypocrites in the media, the political realm, and elsewhere constantly asking this question or flat out calling on him to do it despite similar actions being taken by senators for decades that have not resulted in such fervent questioning.

No, he should not.

I also heard there's been a ton of hypocrites in the media, the political realm, and elsewhere constantly asking this question or flat out calling on him to do it despite similar actions being taken by senators for decades that have not resulted in such fervent questioning.

No, he should not.

Yea, he should for ignoring the interests of his constituents.

The Sun Sentinel carved him up in their editorial - and they had endorsed him in 2010.

Sen. Marco Rubio should resign, not rip us off - Sun Sentinel

No, he should not.

Yeah, I knew the history with congress people, (Both Democratic and Repulican) runiing for president. I didn't seem any harm in asking the question and seeing what reaction I got.

Yea, he should for ignoring the interests of his constituents.

If his constituents wish him to leave office they can go forth with a recall vote as is the appropriate way to officially express such a feeling. Last I checked, his constituents are not wholly, or even primarily, made up of the Sun Sentinel's Op-Ed Board.

I'm not really too interested in the Sun Sentinel's Op-Ed boards hypocritical and laughable opinion on the matter given they have not only remained silent, but openly ENDORSED, Senators in the past that were largely non-existent in congress as they were running in their Presidential Primaries.

The fact they endorsed him in the past is somewhat irrelevant given the fact that they've also in the past endorsed one of the men that is his chief rival, and the main primary candidate who just *happens* to be parroting this same attack, Jeb Bush.

Note, as recent as AUGUST of this year, 57% of Floridians...a far better representation of his "constituents" then the editorial board of a single paper...gave him a positive approval rating as Senator. That was actually UP from earlier this year prior to the debate season kicking off. Which suggests that as he's been running for President his constituents have actually became MORE APPROVING of him, not less. It's also ahead of the approval ratings for the Democratic Senator from Florida or Florida's Governor. (Source)

Last edited:
I'm really not surprised to see you argue he should just hours after it became a talking point from Reid.

And JEB Bush. You notice how you never see them in the same room together...

If his constituents wish him to leave office they can go forth with a recall vote as is the appropriate way to officially express such a feeling. Last I checked, his constituents are not wholly, or even primarily, made up of the Sun Sentinel's Op-Ed Board.

I'm not really too interested in the Sun Sentinel's Op-Ed boards hypocritical and laughable opinion on the matter given they have not only remained silent, but openly ENDORSED, Senators in the past that were largely non-existent in congress as they were running in their Presidential Primaries.

The fact they endorsed him in the past is somewhat irrelevant given the fact that they've also in the past endorsed one of the men that is his chief rival, and the main primary candidate who just *happens* to be parroting this same attack, Jeb Bush.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Bush campaign bought off the editorial board. But I'm a borderline conspiracy theorist on these things. By the way I have this song stuck in my head wee woo its the sexy police.

Back
Top Bottom