• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should male victims of family violence get help and protection?

Should male DV victims get help/protection?

• Yes -- equal protection to women

Votes: 45 95.7%
  • Some protection

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • No -- these men are mostly abusers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SCitizen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Many researchers believe that men do suffer domestic violence -- according to a 2007 Harvard study, 70% of non -- reciprocal is against men by women. Even Huffington Post has articles on the issue of male victims.

Nevertheless, some researchers believe that acknowledging the issue of male DV victims hurts women.

Great minds like Elena Lobacheva, Raina Mersane, and Jenna Price believe that men should not be viewed as victims:

The next time some person tells you that men are the victims of family violence too, remind them men are killers.

Many researchers believe that men do suffer domestic violence -- according to a 2007 Harvard study, 70% of non -- reciprocal is against men by women. Even Huffington Post has articles on the issue of male victims.

Nevertheless, some researchers believe that acknowledging the issue of male DV victims hurts women.

Great minds like Elena Lobacheva, Raina Mersane, and Jenna Price believe that men should not be viewed as victims:

Honestly it doesnt make either gender look 'good' to abuse others....male, female, family members, employees, animals, etc. I dont see that as 'gender-specific.' Being abusive shows a huge character deficit IMO.

OTOH, if someone is a victim of abuse, then IMO, once they are abused and commit to confronting the problem...if it is not resolved, they need to remove themselves from that situation. Period. I know it's not simple, that it's very hard. What are the options? Stay and be abused, or leave. So either gender, remove yourself.

And when it comes to that, it's often harder for women because they are the ones that usually are responsible for the children. At the same time, they are also responsible for recognizing that children remaining in that environment are likely to repeat it when they grow up.

So I do admit to not being especially sympathetic to people who remain in abusive situations. You have 2 options (unless you decide to kill the person abusing you.) I know it's not 'that easy.' That's not the point.

It's been known for a few years know that women are actually more violent and coercive in relationships.

Surprise?

Domestic violence is domestic violence, I do not think we should categorize when it happens to a woman or a man *at the hands of* a woman or a man. Treat it the same, prosecute it the same and we end up covering all violence no matter who is the victim and the disposition of the relationship to whoever else.

It's been known for a few years know that women are actually more violent and coercive in relationships.

Surprise?
From what I can find, at least 40% of domestic abuse is suffered by men on average.

Surprise?

Sources please.

Surprise?

It is known?

The answer is "No." They should stand up straight and start acting like men. No man with normal self-respect would ever let his wife or girlfriend abuse him in the first place, let alone run to teacher about it.

The answer is "No." They should stand up straight and start acting like men. No man with normal self-respect would ever let his wife or girlfriend abuse him in the first place, let alone run to teacher about it.
Why the hell should they not get help and protection? This can be solved in a much better way if you have someone there to help you go through the abuse. It's never really a good thing to go through something as terrible as abuse without anyone to help you out.

Last edited:

Hurr surf men tough women weak

Why the hell should they not get help and protection? This can be solved in a much better way if you have someone there to help you go through the abuse. It's never really a good thing to go through something as terrible as abuse without anyone to help you out.

To be fair to the most part they don't need it.

Honestly it doesnt make either gender look 'good' to abuse others....male, female, family members, employees, animals, etc. I dont see that as 'gender-specific.' Being abusive shows a huge character deficit IMO.

Thank you.

And when it comes to that, it's often harder for women because they are the ones that usually are responsible for the children. At the same time, they are also responsible for recognizing that children remaining in that environment are likely to repeat it when they grow up.

I agree.

Hurr surf men tough women weak

Well, to the most part the man in the relationship is bigger and stronger. :shrug:

There's more potential to cause greater harm. Seems I remember there was all this press and attention around women suffering violence, in fact, the NFL had a very recent campaign about it, now I see it being walked back and the notion that women can physically defend themselves just as much as any man and I'm not sure that's really doing anyone any favors.

There's more potential to cause greater harm. Seems I remember there was all this press and attention around women suffering violence, in fact, the NFL had a very recent campaign about it, now I see it being walked back and the notion that women can physically defend themselves just as much as any man and I'm not sure that's really doing anyone any favors.

there's more potential always? What if ronda rousey got the jump on most men?

in the interviews i've done with ex cons a lot of them had psychotic GFs who would jump them from behind and push them down the stairs, not much strength required in that. The issue is the man in that circumstance will fear reporting that, out of fear of losing face or violating parole because the cops will typically take the female's side that it was self defense or w/e and the guy has a rap sheet. And guess what, the girl knows that and takes advantage

as for the NFL, they had a huge image problem of celebrating wife beaters. How can they not when they suspend for like 2 games a guy who dragged an unconscious woman thru a hotel lobby, and draft guys like frank clark who get arrested for choking a mother in front of her kids. Seems to me more about not respecting women in general and being violent in general than the result of some kind of campaign by feminazis that says a 140 pound human is equally capable of defending herself against a 300 pound linebacker who lunges at her

i think that if you take the consistent position that violence is not acceptable and the victim of violence is a victim then that protects everyone

From what I can find, at least 40% of domestic abuse is suffered by men on average.

That is correct. About 40% of all domestic violence is by women to men. The difference is that women oftern use weapons whereas men do not. Women are even more likely to be the ones committing psychological abuse...

Well, to the most part the man in the relationship is bigger and stronger. :shrug:

Agreed but men are often victims of women who use weapons like pans or brooms when they attack... those guys generally just try to defend themselves or get out of the area. My point is that women compensate for being weaker by using a weapon.

Agreed but men are often victims of women who use weapons like pans or brooms when they attack... those guys generally just try to defend themselves or get out of the area. My point is that women compensate for being weaker by using a weapon.

Pans or brooms?
What was Dagwood Bumstead's wife named again?

So I do admit to not being especially sympathetic to people who remain in abusive situations. You have 2 options (unless you decide to kill the person abusing you.) I know it's not 'that easy.' That's not the point.

I never did either until it happened to me... the problem compounds when you have kids, move a couple of times, the woman blames others for why she is (parents) the way she is and that she is getting better, etc. etc. etc. Lots ot things get into it. Times of love and apparent self-improvement only to be trampled later... it is a strange psychological world. Sure, I could have left long before but the "grass is greener" if we move over there honey... I mean, I did get out after just 5 years so it is not like some that stay for so long...

Domestic violence is domestic violence, I do not think we should categorize when it happens to a woman or a man *at the hands of* a woman or a man. Treat it the same, prosecute it the same and we end up covering all violence no matter who is the victim and the disposition of the relationship to whoever else.

No. It needs some time where we CLEARLY define that women do it too... the Courts and Judges and Cops are very sexist about it still and until that balances out there will be no balance. I understand what you are saying but it has to balance first and right now, while it is not as bad as 20 years ago... it is still really ****ing bad. I was just talking to a couple of dads today, as a matter of fact, about how screwed over they were by their ex's and I thought damn, and I thought I have it bad. No, until the Courts stop being blatantly sexist we need to SHOUT about HOW ABUSIVE WOMEN CAN BEE TOO...

Pans or brooms?
What was Dagwood Bumstead's wife named again?

Do you mean that Dagwood and Blondie cartoon strip?

Yeah, those were my ex's two favorite ones. She would throw pans when I was not looking. She was alwo a terrible freaking aim so they would fly past me and break her things often, or things she liked, like pictures, plants, etc... :lol:

Do you mean that Dagwood and Blondie cartoon strip?

Yeah, those were my ex's two favorite ones. She would throw pans when I was not looking. She was alwo a terrible freaking aim so they would fly past me and break her things often, or things she liked, like pictures, plants, etc... :lol:

Spousal abuse.
And how did it make you feel?

Back
Top Bottom