• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should lying to Congress be a crime?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I have been hearing that Roger Stone may be indicted for lying to congress. Apparently there are emails that show he lied to congress and may soon be indicted. My question, should lying to congress be a crime?

I have been hearing that Roger Stone may be indicted for lying to congress. Apparently there are emails that show he lied to congress and may soon be indicted. My question, should lying to congress be a crime?
When it's knowingly and willfully, and it's a lie about matters material to the inquiry, it's criminal. Yes, it should be a crime to lie in this way to congress.
If they are under oath, it may be deemed perjury under a different statute.

Too bad this doesn't apply to Fox news hosts and guests!

Only if they are under oath. Otherwise, all the members of Congress would end up in jail.

I think Congress lying to people should be a crime.

I have been hearing that Roger Stone may be indicted for lying to Congress. Apparently, there are emails that show he lied to Congress and may soon be indicted. My question, should lying to congress be a crime?

If you are under oath then absolutely. What's the point of testimony if the people who are testifying are under no obligation, to tell the truth?

Yes, it should be a crime. It should also be a crime for anyone in government to lie to the people....you know...the ones that they're supposed to serve, not rule over.

If they can lie to you then it shouldn't be a crime to lie to them.

I have no problem with witnesses, sworn before Congress, who have been found to have lied being punished....as long as congressmen, sworn to the Constitution and the citizens of the state they represent and the union of the 50 states, also be punished when it's found that they lied....ever...about anything related to their campaign or their service in office.

Fine by me. We could put the entire Republican party in prison tomorrow.

Hate to break it to you but the Republican Party is not Congress. They are a group that has people that associate with them in Congress, but they are not Congress.

Hate to break it to you but the Republican Party is not Congress. They are a group that has people that associate with them in Congress, but they are not Congress.

I really don't think that matters to him as long as he gets to put Republicans in jail.

I really don't think that matters to him as long as he gets to put Republicans in jail.

This is the best you guys got huh? You can't argue that Republicans are honest people so you want to quibble over semantics?

If you are under oath then absolutely. What's the point of testimony if the people who are testifying are under no obligation, to tell the truth?

shrug...

They could do like Comey and just say, screw you...I'm not going to answer that question or, "who cares?"

This is the best you guys got huh? You can't argue that Republicans are honest people so you want to quibble over semantics?

I'll note that you can't dispute what was said.

Tell me, did you even stop to think about what you were going to say before you said it? Be it in this last post or your previous post before this last one?

shrug...

They could do like Comey and just say, screw you...I'm not going to answer that question or, "who cares?"

I would much prefer that they refuse to answer than to lie. It is the acceptance of lies that has gotten us to Trump.

Only when under oath.

I think Congress lying to people should be a crime.

Yes, it should be a crime. It should also be a crime for anyone in government to lie to the people....you know...the ones that they're supposed to serve, not rule over.

If they can lie to you then it shouldn't be a crime to lie to them.

I have no problem with witnesses, sworn before Congress, who have been found to have lied being punished....as long as congressmen, sworn to the Constitution and the citizens of the state they represent and the union of the 50 states, also be punished when it's found that they lied....ever...about anything related to their campaign or their service in office.

I like that. But should that also hold for law enforcement? Should cops and federal agents be allowed to lie to us when questioning us? Because we can get in hot water for lying to them. And they also take an oath to uphold the Constitution.

I like that. But should that also hold for law enforcement? Should cops and federal agents be allowed to lie to us when questioning us? Because we can get in hot water for lying to them. And they also take an oath to uphold the Constitution.

I'm fine with this.

Of course lying to Congress deserves to be a federal felony. Lying to any federal agency/body should be.

* Stone is long overdue for prison.
F330C8B3-A000-431F-8498-B39C1E5B10C4.jpg

I'll note that you can't dispute what was said.
I don't need to. You're deflecting from the larger point by highlighting a typo. The question is why you can't dispute the reality that every Republican Member of Congress would spend the rest of the lives in prison if lying to the American people was a crime. You're trying to derail this discussion and change the subject because you know you can't win it.

I don't need to. You're deflecting from the larger point by highlighting a typo. The question is why you can't dispute the reality that every Republican Member of Congress would spend the rest of the lives in prison if lying to the American people was a crime. You're trying to derail this discussion and change the subject because you know you can't win it.

A typo? :lol: A typo is hitting one key when you meant to hit another key. EX: typing "fool" instead of "foil" or "bot" instead of "bit" or "mrs" instead of "mr". What you did was leave out whole contextual words.

In any case, your statement is a partisan one as it does not acknowledge that EVERYONE in Congress would be going to jail if lying to the American people was a crime. Not JUST Republican members of Congress like your posts imply by leaving out the fact that Democrats in Congress lie just as much as Republicans in Congress.

A typo? :lol: A typo is hitting one key when you meant to hit another key. EX: typing "fool" instead of "foil" or "bot" instead of "bit" or "mrs" instead of "mr". What you did was leave out whole contextual words.

Again your obsession over a something that was mistyped just proves you cannot engage in the real discussion without losing badly. If you think this is making you look good you are very mistaken.

Again your obsession over a something that was mistyped just proves you cannot engage in the real discussion without losing badly. If you think this is making you look good you are very mistaken.

My obsession? You're the one that just responded to only part of my post while ignoring the part that showed how foolish your previous statements were.

It's OK if you are interrogating them.

I like that. But should that also hold for law enforcement?Should cops and federal agents be allowed to lie to us when questioning us?Because we can get in hot water for lying to them. And they also take an oath to uphold the Constitution
If law enforcement can legally lie to us then we should be able to legally lie to law enforcement as well.

Back
Top Bottom