• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should killer sharks be killed.

Should killer sharks be killed?

• Total voters

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
in light of a man being killed by a shark and the subsequent hunt for the shark, do you think that, if they manage to find this one shark out of many, this shark should be killed, and do you think sharks should be killed if they attack?

Last edited:
No. Absolutely not. It's not the sharks fault.

I voted no, but if the person being attacked were to kill the shark during the attack, I would be ok with that.

There are no moral grounds on which to punish animals, so the only purpose for killing one would be to prevent future attacks. Sharks primarily kill by accident, and there is no indication that a shark who kills once is statistically any more likely to kill again than any other shark. However, a dog who kills a person is more likely to kill in the future and should be put down.

No. Absolutely not. It's not the sharks fault.

That is true to some degree. The shark is doing only what nature programmed it to do. It is hardwired that way and does so without malice. That being said, I must confess, even at the expense of my sportsmanship credibility, when I land a shark, it never makes it back into the water alive (or to a point that it will survive.) I try to kill them all. With malice. I'm just hardwired that way. I know, I know. I'm a naughty boy. Don't care. Screw sharks and jellyfish.

Speaking of sharks, looky what I pulled in the other day. Mmmmm... shark steak.

40343_1601762762792_1197753866_31715193_6887836_n.jpg

Why should this particular shark be killed? Punishment? To make it an example for other sharks? It doesn't make sense to me, kinda like euthanizing dogs that attack humans.

When you get in the ocean, you basically have accepted the risks inherent to it, which include becoming some sea creature's meal. If you don't want to get bit by a shark, stay your ass on land!

Absolutely not. That's like someone going into a lion's den, getting killed, and then everyone getting pissed and killing a bunch of lions.

Sharks are an apex predator and absolutely vital to the ocean fisheries. We should be working harder to ensure that fewer are killed, and not even contemplating killing more. Personally, I think fishermen who deliberately kill sharks should be punished, since they damage the ocean fishery for everyone.

Absolutely not. That's like someone going into a lion's den, getting killed, and then everyone getting pissed and killing a bunch of lions.

Sharks are an apex predator and absolutely vital to the ocean fisheries. We should be working harder to ensure that fewer are killed, and not even contemplating killing more. Personally, I think fishermen who deliberately kill sharks should be punished, since they damage the ocean fishery for everyone.

That's why you don't do it unless you are offshore and nobody's around. LOL! I also kill bluefish and hardhead catfish. I hate those bastards too. I stomp 'em and throw them back in and make them part of the food chain. I also kill copperheads, water moccassins, rattlers, scorpians and mosquitoes.

You may all begin to bash me now but know this, just because I don't care don't mean I don't have feelings. I feel real bad that I don't care. But that's ok because, well, I don't care. LOL!

Sharks can actually be classified as the most easily avoided man-eating predator that exists.

Why kill the shark when every single shark attack involves someone doing something that puts them at risk for being attacked by a shark?

Do we attack the section of ground where somebody went "splat" after someone dies in a skydiving accident?

In the water, human = snack for sharks. Outside of the water, human =/= snack for sharks. Pretty simple. Until the mother****ers grow legs and show up in Cleveland, there's no point to killing them as retaliation.

in light of a man being killed by a shark and the subsequent hunt for the shark, do you think that, if they manage to find this one shark out of many, this shark should be killed, and do you think sharks should be killed if they attack?

No, sharks do that by natural instinct.
It would be like killing a man for pooping.

just to demonstrate the frequency of shark attacks

Even considering only people who go to beaches, a person's chance of getting attacked by a shark is 1 in 11.5 million, and a person's chance of getting killed by a shark is less than 1 in 264.1 million. The annual number of people who drown is 3,306, whereas the annual number of shark fatalities is 1.
Shark attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was about to post "Well, duh, of course you kill the shark if you can," but I read the replies first... ho-ley COW.

You don't let any animal that attacks a human {unprovoked} live. Period. I grew up with that rule, as a kid on a farm. Animal attacks a man, it dies.

The sole exceptions would be if the animal was unduly provoked, or if it attacked someone who needed attacking, like a dog biting a tresspasser.

Other than that, you put them down.

Tigers, lions, puma, wolves, coyotes...if it attacks humans, it dies. Why? Because any animal that attacks humans once may do so again.

So there's no proof of sharks being serial human-biters? I don't care. They might be serial humanivores, that's enough to me. Bite a human, get killed.

Why? Because we're the *********ing dominant species on the planet, and everybody else ****ing gets out the way when we come through, that's why.

I was about to post "Well, duh, of course you kill the shark if you can," but I read the replies first... ho-ley COW.

You don't let any animal that attacks a human {unprovoked} live. Period. I grew up with that rule, as a kid on a farm. Animal attacks a man, it dies.

The sole exceptions would be if the animal was unduly provoked, or if it attacked someone who needed attacking, like a dog biting a tresspasser.

Tigers, lions, puma, wolves, coyotes...if it attacks humans, it dies. Why? Because any animal that attacks humans once may do so again.

So there's no proof of sharks being serial human-biters? I don't care. They might be serial humanivores, that's enough to me. Bite a human, get killed.

Why? Because we're the *********ing dominant species on the planet, and everybody else ****ing gets out the way when we come through, that's why.

The reason you put down land animals is becuase they can become a threat to people.

Sharks are never a threat to people. People are a threat to themselves. By going in the water and impersonating a seal (which is what a surfer is to a shark) we are provoking them.

We may be dominant on land, but in the water we're snacks.

Last edited:
The reason you put down land animals is becuase they can become a threat to people.

Sharks are never a threat to people. People are a threat to themselves. By going in the water and impersonating a seal 9which is what a surfer is to a shark) we are provoking them.

We may be dominant on land, but in the water we're snacks.

That's because we ain't played Cowboys and Sharks yet. :mrgreen:

Is there proof-positive that there's no such thing as a serial maneater shark? If so I will recant. Otherwise I stick by it: if we do happen to catch a known man-biter we end his "tale" right there.

On land, I can agree with this. But in water, were in their domain, and they are top dog.

Dude. If you walk into a den of coyotes and get slaughtered, no one is going to head out and kill a bunch of coyotes. That would be ****ing retarded. And that's exactly what you're doing when you go into the ocean.

Secondly, the other reason hunting down the "killer animal" is silly is because you're going to end up killing dozens upon dozens of the species and never even know if you actually killed the single one that attacked anyway. So again, it is wrong and it solves absolutely nothing. All it does is harm.

Thirdly, it's a myth that once a wild animal has killed a human (for any reason) that they're just suddenly going to continue on some human killing spree.

Dude. If you walk into a den of coyotes and get slaughtered, no one is going to head out and kill a bunch of coyotes. That would be ****ing retarded. And that's exactly what you're doing when you go into the ocean.

The ocean is the ocean. It is kinda big. Humans use some of it. Sharks use some of it. Going into the ocean-in-general is not logically equivalent to deliberately entering a coyote den.

Secondly, the other reason hunting down the "killer animal" is silly is because you're going to end up killing dozens upon dozens of the species and never even know if you actually killed the single one that attacked anyway. So again, it is wrong and it solves absolutely nothing. All it does is harm.

Perhaps. I am not necessarily advocating that we go out and kill a thousand sharks every time there's a shark attack. However if we do happen to catch an identified man-biter, unusual tho that might be, I think it should be killed.

Thirdly, it's a myth that once a wild animal has killed a human (for any reason) that they're just suddenly going to continue on some human killing spree.

I know that they don't ALL go on a humanivore spree if they get away with killing one human... but many are MORE LIKELY to attack a human again if they get away with it once, in the general sense. More than enough reason to kill any animal that makes an attack on a human, absent egregious provocation.

That is true to some degree. The shark is doing only what nature programmed it to do. It is hardwired that way and does so without malice. That being said, I must confess, even at the expense of my sportsmanship credibility, when I land a shark, it never makes it back into the water alive (or to a point that it will survive.) I try to kill them all. With malice. I'm just hardwired that way. I know, I know. I'm a naughty boy. Don't care. Screw sharks and jellyfish.

Speaking of sharks, looky what I pulled in the other day. Mmmmm... shark steak.

40343_1601762762792_1197753866_31715193_6887836_n.jpg

Is that a shark or a dogfish?

Its not the sharks fault. Bush signed the shark deregulation act...blame Bush.

It appears that humans don't taste good to sharks, so I wonder if it is actually less likely that a shark who has bitten a human would try to bite one again.

Back
Top Bottom