• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Jim DeMints proposed amendment, removing the estate tax have failed?

Should Jim DeMints proposed amendment removing the estate tax have failed?

• Yes

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

Gabriel

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Should Jim DeMints proposed amendment of unemployment benefits removing the estate tax have failed?

An Old Fashioned Debate on Tax Fairness

Last edited:
The estate tax primarily affects the ultra wealthy - they can afford it.
This character is a conservative, and we know who they serve.

Should Jim DeMints proposed amendment of unemployment benefits removing the estate tax have failed?

An Old Fashioned Debate on Tax Fairness

If we are going to have an estate tax, it should only be on liquid assets.
Mainly cash.

It's not right to tax a person that gets transferred a family business, which they may have to sell in order to pay taxes on it.
Better thing is to tax cash, for one people will try to avoid it and keep the money moving, stimulating some sort of economic activity.

It also doesn't unfairly punish the people with illiquid assets.

Sounds like you have class envy. It's their property and the government wasn't there when the person earned it. In fact, the government made it difficult for that person to earn it to begin with. Are you implying that the ultra-wealthy don't have a right to have their views represented?

Mainly cash.

It's not right to tax a person that gets transferred a family business, which they may have to sell in order to pay taxes on it.
Better thing is to tax cash, for one people will try to avoid it and keep the money moving, stimulating some sort of economic activity.

Whatever the details are on the matter you already do have one.

A conservative with interest in advancing libertarian economics.

Last edited:
Mainly cash.

Except that creates perverse incentives. If the tax was on only liquid assets, then those who were going to die would simply buy up lots of illiquid assets leaving only the necessary amount to live on til they die. When they die, a tax on only liquid assets wouldn't touch them. Effectively they'd managed to hide large portions of otherwise liquid assets from the tax. And this would create sizable amounts of bubbles in assets with trillions of dollars in potential estates trying to buy illiquid assets. And you and I don't like bubbles.

A better way is simply raise the exemption to $10 million.

Except that creates perverse incentives. If the tax was on only liquid assets, then those who were going to die would simply buy up lots of illiquid assets leaving only the necessary amount to live on til they die. When they die, a tax on only liquid assets wouldn't touch them. Effectively they'd managed to hide large portions of otherwise liquid assets from the tax. And this would create sizable amounts of bubbles in assets with trillions of dollars in potential estates trying to buy illiquid assets. And you and I don't like bubbles.

A better way is simply raise the exemption to $10 million.

Index it to inflation and that would be fine with me.

I do not think its right to tax something that someone has already paid taxes on. Its just like these vehicle registrations and property taxes, there should one be a one time tax at the time of the purchase and thats it.

I do not think its right to tax something that someone has already paid taxes on. Its just like these vehicle registrations and property taxes, there should one be a one time tax at the time of the purchase and thats it.

I too believe that everything contained in the estate of a deceased individual has already been taxed once, twice, or possibly to death (literally). To consider the items and amounts that are willed to individuals as income to them is ludicrous.

Well at least DC isn't full of the idiots on this board that voted no.. Something the American people should be happy about. What Americans should be unhappy about was that an amendment like this was even suggested. Just saying.

Well at least DC isn't full of the idiots on this board that voted no.

Why should the government be able to tax the same thing that you already paid taxes on at the time of the sale over and over again?

. Something the American people should be happy about.

Why should Americans be happy about legalized theft?

What Americans should be unhappy about was that an amendment like this was even suggested. Just saying.

What Americans should be unhappy about is the fact the government can extort money out of you over something you already paid taxes on. I guess it takes a liberal mindset to think that it is okay to forcefully take money from others.

I just thought of something... the colonies went to war with one of the reasons being taxation without representation. Since the property belongs to a dead person wouldn't that be taxation without representation?

typical class warfare

do you think an estate of a couple million is "ultra wealthy"

Why should the government be able to tax the same thing that you already paid taxes on at the time of the sale over and over again?

Why should Americans be happy about legalized theft?

What Americans should be unhappy about is the fact the government can extort money out of you over something you already paid taxes on. I guess it takes a liberal mindset to think that it is okay to forcefully take money from others.

gabriel operates under the belief that the government owns all property

Well at least DC isn't full of the idiots on this board that voted no.. Something the American people should be happy about. What Americans should be unhappy about was that an amendment like this was even suggested. Just saying.

Idiots? Guess that shoots down the theory that you were interested in anything like a debate, or an honest discussion. Might I recommend that in the future, just state what the correct answer is in your OP so the folks that don't agree with you can find a more honest thread for discussion.

Come again?

So if Harry buys a stock at $5 with after tax dollars and dies when it's at $15, that gain of $10 has already been taxed?

If so, when was that gain ever taxed?

Moderator's Warning:
Gabriel, you are now banned from this thread. If you post in this thread again, it will be a 5 point infraction

Mainly cash.

I essentially agree since many farmers could be hit by this. I think we should attach some conditions to the illiquid thing though.
1. It has to have shown profitable income and be a business for a certain number of years (maybe 10) to prevent people just buying stuff before they die.
2. The ownership of whatever asset has to be within the family or held by a single individual (to prevent a person just buying into some existing investment which would be a loophole in my opinion)
3. The person who receives it has to pay estate taxes at the time of selling the asset.

Last edited:
I just thought of something... the colonies went to war with one of the reasons being taxation without representation. Since the property belongs to a dead person wouldn't that be taxation without representation?

Are you proposing we raise a zombie army to fight the government with? :shock:

Now that would be a cook idea. :D

What is we give zombies the right to vote? Would that keep them from rebelling? Of course, if we do that, we might have entitlement issues after a few years from all the politicians voting to give them free brains from the wealthy.

Sounds like you have class envy.Do I??; when young, YES!!, now - NO!! It's their property and the government wasn't there when the person earned it.Maybe it should have been.. In fact, the government made it difficult for that person to earn it to begin with. Are you implying that the ultra-wealthy don't have a right to have their views represented?
Nothing of the sort.....what gives you this ****-a-manny idea???
I do see a man who is so anti-government that it clouds his vision.

Back
Top Bottom