• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should it be Merry X-Mass or Happy Holidays?

Should it be Merry X-Mass or Happy Holidays?

• Merry X-Mass...94% Christian America

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Happy Holidays...6% Pagan America

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters

ptsdkid

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Anyway, Merry Christmas to Christian America and Happy Holidays to Pagan America.

People hear what they want to hear. If you want to think it is an insult to say "Merry Chistmas" or "Happy Holidays," that's what you will hear. If you think it makes you special to be part of a 94% majority (even though that's sheer poppycock), then you will feel special as you say "Merry Christmas."
So I'll just say this:

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Think what you like.

CoffeeSaint said:
People hear what they want to hear. If you want to think it is an insult to say "Merry Chistmas" or "Happy Holidays," that's what you will hear. If you think it makes you special to be part of a 94% majority (even though that's sheer poppycock), then you will feel special as you say "Merry Christmas."
So I'll just say this:

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Think what you like.
It looks to me like this is another poll no one will participate in. What's the point of all of these useless polls?

You should have included the option:

WHO F****N' CARES!!??

I don't believe in organized religion, yet, I take offense to neither. Nor would I take offense if someone said to me Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, Jolly Festivus (Thank you, Seinfeld), or anything else of the sort. Frankly, the only problem I have is when tax dollars are spent on religious displays. Other than that, go hog-wild with the festivities and have fun.

Just because you aren't part of a religion doesn't mean you can't enjoy the traditions of a differing culture. Isn't that what the "American Melting Pot" is supposed to be all about? There's no law requiring participation and no reason to ruin other people's fun. Religion is pretty much gone from Christmas, anyway, as evidenced by people trampling each other at the local China-Mart to get first grabs on the latest doohickeys.

Lame and oppressive thread. 94% christian??? where do you get your numbers? I hope you know they are wrong.

OK, I really tried to think of a way to be respectful before I replied, but your thread is simply undeserving of respect and you won't get any.

Anyone who is offended by someone wishing them Happy Holidays is a complete idiot. If they don't know what holiday(s) you celebrate in December, that seems to me like the most appropriate greeting. Many Jewish people wish all of their Christian friends a Merry Christmas when they see them...does that mean they've declared war on Hannukah? Of course not. Would you wish a Jewish person "Merry Christmas" knowing full well that they don't celebrate Christmas? Of course not. So what's wrong with the blanket phrase "Happy Holidays" to cover any holiday someone may be celebrating?

Why is it that you Christian fundamentalist nutjobs still have a persecution complex after 2000 years? You aren't being fed to lions in the Colliseum anymore, you're just being wished Happy Holidays. As you pointed out in the poll, the vast majority of Americans are Christians, so it's not like your religion is going to die out if there isn't public recognition of it on every street corner, shopping center, and government building (even though Christmas displays ARE ubiquitous). You aren't being persecuted by someone wishing you Happy Holidays, so shut the **** up.

Last edited:
By the way, people have been saying Happy Holidays for decades, and it was never a problem before FOX News decided to turn it into a controversy. Are you really so braindead that you have to rely on them to tell you what's an affront to Red State America? Can't you think for yourself? I'm guessing you never even gave the phrase a second thought before this year.

Seriously, if this is the most important issue that you have to bitch about, I'd say you have it pretty good.

ptsdkid said:
Anyway, Merry Christmas to Christian America and Happy Holidays to Pagan America.

So.. Suddenly Jews are Pagans????
Tell me your ****ing joking right?

If anything, Christianity is closer to a pagan religion than Judaism, with your whole "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" thing.....

So, take your Christian intolerance elsewhere.

I voted up with Pagans.

Happy Holidays, ptsdkid! Don't forget to kick a "pagan" on your way home from celebrating the birth of Christ!

Let's not forget that december 25th was chosen artificially to represent jesus' birthday by Christians to compete against pagan festivals held at the same time. (so let's thank all the pagans!) Let's also not forget Bodhi day, also celebrated every december for those with a buddist background.

Last edited:
Gosh...so sorry....I didnt get around to replying to this post till just now, You know...what with actually enjoying the Holiday, Family, food, and just generally having a Merry Christmas.....Guess it must be a Pagan thing to celebrate...rather than bitch.

Hope you actually took the time to be with family Kid....though I dont know why I would wish that on anyone.

This Merry X-Mass, Happy Holiday issue is just the latest attack by lefty America on Christianity. Sorry that this obvious theme had gone over all of your heads. This attack on Christianity (especially on Christmas itself) has been in the news every day for a solid month or so.

Again, it's Christianity that is being attacked here. It's being attacked because the moral majority (the Republicans) keep winning elections and you know that the religious right--the Jerry Falwell's and the Pat Robertson's message out there is bring evangelical America to the polls by the droves. Just look at a map of red-stated America after the 2004 elections in case you've already forgotten of the Christian message.

There are numerous well-written books available out there that dissect and pinpoint these attacks on Christianity. Books by David Limbaugh and John Gibson are two excellent sources/books that would make great reading as a belated Christmass gift to any and all clueless liberals.

Surely you folks are aware of the Ten Commandments being taken off a government building so as to appease some ACLU types. Surely you have witnessed on the telly the rants from atheists like Michael Newdow who wants to get "In God We Trust" stricken from our government buildings and from our coins. He would also ban saluting of the American flag in our school rooms if he gets his way. School prayer is all but forbidden in a majority of our schools as I write this.

Did you happen to see on national news where a high school choir was refused to sing at another school because the politically correct superintendent there didn't want to offent some minority student or two by letting the girls sing while wearing jerseys that said "Merry Christmass". Manger scenes are also being banned from ouside on private front lawns.

Now this progression of steps taken to oust Christianity from our public square may seem like small potatoes to you lefties, but to me and my 94% Christian brethren--we will do everything in our power to maintain the history of this country as we salute about 99% of our founding fathers that were guided and lived by a Christian code.

ptsdkid said:
This Merry X-Mass, Happy Holiday issue is just the latest attack by lefty America on Christianity. Sorry that this obvious theme had gone over all of your heads. This attack on Christianity (especially on Christmas itself) has been in the news every day for a solid month or so.

The latest attack on Christianity, huh? That's funny, because I've heard the phrase Happy Holidays for as long as I can remember. No one seemed to be outraged by "Happy Holidays" for the last few decades, before FOX News decided they needed to drum up a new controversy. But that must just be a coincidence, right?

ptsdkid said:
Again, it's Christianity that is being attacked here. It's being attacked because the moral majority (the Republicans) keep winning elections and you know that the religious right--the Jerry Falwell's and the Pat Robertson's message out there is bring evangelical America to the polls by the droves. Just look at a map of red-stated America after the 2004 elections in case you've already forgotten of the Christian message.

There are numerous well-written books available out there that dissect and pinpoint these attacks on Christianity. Books by David Limbaugh and John Gibson are two excellent sources/books that would make great reading as a belated Christmass gift to any and all clueless liberals.

Surely you folks are aware of the Ten Commandments being taken off a government building so as to appease some ACLU types. Surely you have witnessed on the telly the rants from atheists like Michael Newdow who wants to get "In God We Trust" stricken from our government buildings and from our coins. He would also ban saluting of the American flag in our school rooms if he gets his way. School prayer is all but forbidden in a majority of our schools as I write this.

Did you happen to see on national news where a high school choir was refused to sing at another school because the politically correct superintendent there didn't want to offent some minority student or two by letting the girls sing while wearing jerseys that said "Merry Christmass". Manger scenes are also being banned from ouside on private front lawns.

OK. So school prayer, the Pledge of Allegiance, nativity scenes, and high school choirs are being attacked by Duhh Evil Libruhls. What does this have to do with someone wishing you Happy Holidays?

ptsdkid said:
Now this progression of steps taken to oust Christianity from our public square may seem like small potatoes to you lefties, but to me and my 94% Christian brethren--we will do everything in our power to maintain the history of this country as we salute about 99% of our founding fathers that were guided and lived by a Christian code.

Your 94% Christian brethren don't seem to agree with you, as everyone else has voted against you in this idiotic poll...despite the fact that it's obviously biased in your favor. If you can't even "win" when you cheat, maybe it's because you're in the very small minority.

How old are you? You seem like you're either A) a 14-year-old trying to impress his conservative daddy, or B) a 14-year-old trying to rebel against his liberal daddy, or C) Navy Pride. You clearly don't have any knowledge of any issues, since the only thing you've posted since you registered are attacks on liberals.

Last edited:
I'm glad you buy into everything Fox News and John Gibson tell you....

Does it really matter which greeting you give someone? Some of this controversy goes beyond the absurd!

Personally, I prefer to say "Happy Holidays", but if someone offers me a "Merry Christmas" greeting, I will reciprocate.

I don't know why but the blatant lie that 94% of the US is christian is annoying me. Per the 2001 census the number is more like 76.69%.

see http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/04statab/pop.pdf

14.17% is non religious... roughly 3 out of 20 no longer need fiction to justify their existence.

Oh and before you go on about the majority being correct ... match this agaisnt the intelligence bell curve.

ptsdkid said:

Who, me? Oh, I am just a pagan-heathen-heretic-infidel-pig-dog that is most certainly going to hell. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Man, you religious fundamentalists are just so cute, in your own silly, superstitious way.

Duke

Posted from my thread about the subject:

Two years ago, I made the folly of automatically wishing a stranger "Happy Chanukah" - which is hardly suprising. Did she smile and say the same in return, as I do when wished a merry Christmas? Nope. She scowled, and went off on a rant about how she's a good Christian who doesn't need or want Jewish blessings. Most disconcerting for a 15-year-old such as myself at the time.

If Christians insist on shoving their holiday down my throat, they better not have a hissy fit when I mention mine.

vergiss said:

Two years ago, I made the folly of automatically wishing a stranger "Happy Chanukah" - which is hardly suprising. Did she smile and say the same in return, as I do when wished a merry Christmas? Nope. She scowled, and went off on a rant about how she's a good Christian who doesn't need or want Jewish blessings. Most disconcerting for a 15-year-old such as myself at the time.

If Christians insist on shoving their holiday down my throat, they better not have a hissy fit when I mention mine.

Werd???:werd

vergiss said:

You should meet 90% of my extended family. Religious nut-cases to the very bone.

Duke

I did not vote, did not care for the question.
Merry Christmas, not Merry X-mas, not Happy Holidays
Political correctness be damned !
What counts is the thought, the caring, the love, goodwill to all men..

But worst of all is having some PC yahoo trying to tell me or anyone what to say, trying to control others - this can bring down a nation if allowed to fester and grow..

earthworm said:
I did not vote, did not care for the question.
Merry Christmas, not Merry X-mas, not Happy Holidays
Political correctness be damned !
What counts is the thought, the caring, the love, goodwill to all men..

But worst of all is having some PC yahoo trying to tell me or anyone what to say, trying to control others - this can bring down a nation if allowed to fester and grow..

Just like forcing people to say Merry Christmas when they don't celebrate christmas, or how about forcing kids to call it christmas break when its not christmas break, its winter break. Ive said this in another thread and I'll say it again.

If your religion needs to place reminders of its holy day all over the place to remind people that the holy day is near, your religion is pathetic, if you need a store clerk to tell you merry christmas to remind you your holy day is coming, your religion is pathetic, if you need children to call it "Christmas Break" instead of "Winter Break" to keep this day special to you, your religion is pathetic........do I need to go on?

Jews have plenty of Holy Days that they don't plaster all over the damned placed, do they lose thier special meaning to those that follow this relgion? Of course not. Do you know why? Because the Jewish religion is better than to need everyone to bow down and show respect to them.
Christians who complain about this make me puke.

Caine said:
Just like forcing people to say Merry Christmas when they don't celebrate christmas, or how about forcing kids to call it christmas break when its not christmas break, its winter break. Ive said this in another thread and I'll say it again.

If your religion needs to place reminders of its holy day all over the place to remind people that the holy day is near, your religion is pathetic, if you need a store clerk to tell you merry christmas to remind you your holy day is coming, your religion is pathetic, if you need children to call it "Christmas Break" instead of "Winter Break" to keep this day special to you, your religion is pathetic........do I need to go on?

How many times can you libs miss the point here? The message behind this original poll has to with the attack on Christianity. Again, it's athesists like you and Michael Newdow that feel offended, and feel the need to eliminate the name 'Christmas' in Christmas tree, and eliminating the manger scene, and to eliminate the slogan 'In God We Trust' from our coins and government buildings etc. What you do with your pagan holiday of 'hell' is your business, but butt out of the majority tradition of celebrating Christ's birth by us using Christmas.

ptsdkid said:
How many times can you libs miss the point here? The message behind this original poll has to with the attack on Christianity. Again, it's athesists like you and Michael Newdow that feel offended, and feel the need to eliminate the name 'Christmas' in Christmas tree, and eliminating the manger scene, and to eliminate the slogan 'In God We Trust' from our coins and government buildings etc. What you do with your pagan holiday of 'hell' is your business, but butt out of the majority tradition of celebrating Christ's birth by us using Christmas.

Umm... Since when am I an Athiest?????????????????????????????

I like how you paint me into something that Im not just so it can fit your ignorant agenda.
I am no athiest.

Im no pagan either.
But Pagans came around long before Christians did, In fact, the only reason there are so few Pagans around is because intolerant Christians forced Pagans to convert or die in the early days of Christianity. The Tree came from Pagan celebrations of the winter solstice, do some research before you respond to this. Otherwise, I will make you look like a fool.

Im not offended by anything. My religion has many holy days of tradition. Hardly any of them are every mentioned and placed all over the public square and in shopping centers. That doesn't bother me. Why? Because my religion isn't so pathetic as to need this sort of thing. Christians who whine and complain because tax payers don't want to support your Christian displays make me want to vomit all over them. REAL Christians have no problem with following what is right. Crazy Pat Robertson followers think that we should be the Christian States of America, and **** all over anyone who disagrees.
Oh yeah, and condems them to "hell".

If Pat Robertson were in my living room right now, I would probably blow chunks of vomit all over his boots for being such a little bitching, whining, complaining ass baby.

Back
Top Bottom