• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should infants born with serious mental defects be euthanized?

Should infants born with serious mental defects be euthanized?

• Yes, compulsorily

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Yes, if the parent(s) decide that

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 77.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking11

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It's unethical, but there are advantages to it. The ancient Greeks did it, and China and North Korea do it today.

My son was born with autism. Now, he's in top marks and concidered not only one of the brightest mentally, but physically as well. Don't kill a kid without givin em a shot to swing the bat a plate. Just ain't right. Now, if life is on the line and situations are complex, I won't be so quick to absolute, but to assume someone can't only overcome, but overachieve from any "handicap" simply never had to push a day in their life.

I hope pretty much everyone finds the thought of killing babies and children as offensive as I do.

But, China and NK do it...:roll:

And we tear them apart while in they're womb for no reason other than the inconvenience of their existence. Sadly, the question of "euthanizing" them after birth is a completely logical progression.

And we tear them apart while in they're womb for no reason other than the inconvenience of their existence. Sadly, the question of "euthanizing" them after birth is a completely logical progression.

Sad indeed.

We tear them apart in the womb after they're born?

That is sad, but not why you think it is.

It's unethical, but there are advantages to it. The ancient Greeks did it, and China and North Korea do it today.

So did Nazis and you didnt mention them,why ?

I think that decision ought to be made before birth, it isn't like we don't know that the child will be born with serious defects. It is no one's responsibility to decide but the parents and they should know, going in, that they will be responsible for whatever decision they make.

I think that decision ought to be made before birth, it isn't like we don't know that the child will be born with serious defects. It is no one's responsibility to decide but the parents and they should know, going in, that they will be responsible for whatever decision they make.

We didn't know my kid was Autistic until he was easily a year old. Probably later. Not something easily diagnosed. But even if I knew, 100%, that's the trial for him, ahead. I'd still green light it. I know what I'm made of. I know what my wife is made of. And when we came together to make one flesh (my son), I knew, it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't matter whatever obstical placed, he'd overcome. Because it's not just genes, it's love and drive, and support and desire. It's so much, and I would never and I mean EVER deny a child a shot at the dream known as life unless the situation is so twisted, that it requires real review. See...

And I might be white, but I sure as hell know what it means to come up and fight. And if my son's gym coach isn't just bull****ing (and you look in that man's eyes, and call him a liar, i'd pay to see it), then my kid is Gohan to my Goku, but without the Buu saga, but how it was ment to end.

We didn't know my kid was Autistic until he was easily a year old. Probably later. Not something easily diagnosed. But even if I knew, 100%, that's the trial for him, ahead. I'd still green light it. I know what I'm made of. I know what my wife is made of. And when we came together to make one flesh (my son), I knew, it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't matter whatever obstical placed, he'd overcome. Because it's not just genes, it's love and drive, and support and desire. It's so much, and I would never and I mean EVER deny a child a shot at the dream known as life unless the situation is so twisted, that it requires real review. See...

I was actually talking about serious physical and clear mental defects like Down's Syndrome, missing limbs and other deformities. And as I said, it ought to be completely up to the parents to decide. Whatever decision you make, you ought to be responsible for.

I was actually talking about serious physical and clear mental defects like Down's Syndrome, missing limbs and other deformities. And as I said, it ought to be completely up to the parents to decide. Whatever decision you make, you ought to be responsible for.

Ligit, like born without an organ required to live (heart, lungs, it happens, truely). Thank you for the clarification. ^.^ Good people Cephus, we don't always agree, but you're good people.

You know, I grew up around a lot of families (including my own) where these parents and kids were dismissed by pockets of the professional class for having a life that they recognized as being worthwhile because of their disabilities.

Many of those same kids grew up and outpaced what the professionals claimed would happen, but other times they did not. Regardless of the outcome, not a single one of them would have wished that they or their loved ones never existed.

And to add a couple more layers. I know two young people right now with Down Syndrome. They are doing well. They may or may not be able to pursue their dreams (well, that's what dreams are for anyway), but they are certainly much like any other teenager.

One is a potential business owner. His mother and father purchased a shop, and the young guy is working at it right now. The parents are hoping that if the business succeeds he can take it on as an adult. Why did they do it? Because the parents correctly saw that a lot of adult service providers and professionals in general were too damn dismissive of their kids. So they said if the professionals won't get their act together, I will.

It's working and the shop has become an icon in the community for people with disabilities.

Another young lady is a social butterfly and doing well. Active in extracurricular activities, she has created a club at the school and has a wide social network. She also works at the shop of the other family's I discussed above. Her dreams may change (she likes to sing and dreams of stardom), but she's being given a steady life preparation from her parents as well as the school.

If you search around, you're going to find out that social expectations and professional opinion has shifted over the last 20 years. These kids haven't changed, the interventions and professional orientations have. They are going to college (even if it is modified programming), they are holding regular jobs, heck some of them are even business owners themselves.

And I myself am the sibling of a young adult with a form of autism. He's treasured by his manufacturing employer, has his own place, and pays for his rent. He is on benefits and does the careful dance to keep them, because he also has a light amount of assisted living from staff.

Folks, assessments and life prognosis at a young age is tricky stuff that can indeed become overly gloomy if it isn't spot on. When I was 5 I was diagnosed as being mentally retarded and my folks were told right then and there that my life, their hopes for me were dead. They were told many of the same things with my brother.

We came out differently in our outcomes, but I think the variance in outcomes with disabilities, in addition to the real joys, triumphs, and defeats in life make people with disabilities just as worthy of experiencing it as anyone else.

Last edited:
I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill them all!!!

But seriously, no you cannot euthanize them. Very serious medical conditions, like lacking a brain or severe deformaties that would prevent living can be detected before birth. However, we cannot just start killing mentally and physically handicapped people because it is convenient for everyone else.

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill them all!!!

But seriously, no you cannot euthanize them. Very serious medical conditions, like lacking a brain or severe deformaties that would prevent living can be detected before birth. However, we cannot just start killing mentally and physically handicapped people because it is convenient for everyone else.

It will save society a lot in health care and in taxes that can be spent on much better things...

This would eliminate half the posters on this forum.

And to add a couple more layers. I know two young people right now with Down Syndrome. They are doing well. They may or may not be able to pursue their dreams (well, that's what dreams are for anyway), but they are certainly much like any other teenager.

One is a potential business owner. His mother and father purchased a shop, and the young guy is working at it right now. The parents are hoping that if the business succeeds he can take it on as an adult. Why did they do it? Because the parents correctly saw that a lot of adult service providers and professionals in general were too damn dismissive of their kids. So they said if the professionals won't get their act together, I will.

It's working and the shop has become an icon in the community for people with disabilities.

Another young lady is a social butterfly and doing well. Active in extracurricular activities, she has created a club at the school and has a wide social network. She also works at the shop of the other family's I discussed above. Her dreams may change (she likes to sing and dreams of stardom), but she's being given a steady life preparation from her parents as well as the school.

If you search around, you're going to find out that social expectations and professional opinion has shifted over the last 20 years. These kids haven't changed, the interventions and professional orientations have. They are going to college (even if it is modified programming), they are holding regular jobs, heck some of them are even business owners themselves.

And I myself am the sibling of a young adult with a form of autism. He's treasured by his manufacturing employer, has his own place, and pays for his rent. He is on benefits and does the careful dance to keep them, because he also has a light amount of assisted living from staff.

Folks, assessments and life prognosis at a young age is tricky stuff that can indeed become overly gloomy if it isn't spot on. When I was 5 I was diagnosed as being mentally retarded and my folks were told right then and there that my life, their hopes for me were dead. They were told many of the same things with my brother.

We came out differently in our outcomes, but I think the variance in outcomes with disabilities, in addition to the real joys, triumphs, and defeats in life make people with disabilities just as worthy of experiencing it as anyone else.

I wouldn't call Downs a serious mental defect either...

Guys... I work at a school and the ones with the serious mental defects are the kids being led about in a daze, looking at the ground all the time that would stand alone all day not knowing what to do if they were not under control, wet themselves because they don't know how to go to the bathroom, and basically have the look of no life in their eyes... Downs and autism (at least not severe) are not that bad. The Downs kids are happy, talkative, running about saying hi, etc.

Those who support this are unwitting heirs of Protestant philosophy, specifically the Protestant Work Ethic. The idea is that a human is only valuable for their contributions. Of course, that is nonsense, and all people are valuable because of the fact that they are human, and thus made in the Image of God.

That is not a serious mental defect...

**** you. My son went from barely talking, mildly retarted at age 5 to top of his class by age 7. You can't steal that proof that people deserve a shot from the womb so long as there isn't something super ceral happening to both mother and child in the birth. He's a champion, that overcame odds, that most never will. Most end up like you say, drooling in a pool of thier own piss. But not mine. No sir. Mine rose up, and over came, and you can try to steal that, but today was damn sure the wrong day to try, because the awards don't lie. The testimony of his teachers, speech theropists, councilors and yes, even friends, don't lie. So you vote up that "kill those that cost too much for society" crap, and in 20 years, i promise you one things, and only one thing, My Son Will Be More Successful Than You EVER. Bitch. Now watch your mannors, and apologize not to me, but the champ my child is. Lest we met one day, and I show him why we train for ruthless aggression. Hate ****in nazis...

Maybe you should be asking the kids in question themselves ...

It will save society a lot in health care and in taxes that can be spent on much better things...

And if we gassed the prisons, think of all the money we could save.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom