• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should infants born with serious mental defects be euthanized?

Should infants born with serious mental defects be euthanized?

• Yes, compulsorily

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Yes, if the parent(s) decide that

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 38 77.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's too bad you don't have a right not to be offended then, huh?

I willingly surrender that right if it makes Libertarian position stronger.

Holocaust Jokes are evil, but they keep us vigilant in case any other genocide is planned. It also reminds us that massive killing of children with disabilities was the norm in the most advanced nations up to 18th century and continues in some parts of the World.

Babies should not be killed unless the parent wants it... and they are severely mentally defective, or physical, but in the womb it should be open season.

In the poll I said that they should all be killed no matter what... since they are born it should be just parental consent unless it is just so bad that keeping the kid alive is cruel and unusual/

See, I knew not to believe post 36 (or whichever). To make it clear though, you're saying that if's a baby in the womb that has a defect, you're saying it should be forcefully aborted whether the mom want it done or not?

Why should I be happy>?

Lots of abortions every day. Totally open season on the unborn, like you said you wanted (now you're going to try to pretend you have concern for preborn life, aren't you?).

Lots of abortions every day. Totally open season on the unborn, like you said you wanted (now you're going to try to pretend you have concern for preborn life, aren't you?).

I don't support abortion morally...

To make it clear though, you're saying that if's a baby in the womb that has a defect, you're saying it should be forcefully aborted whether the mom want it done or not?

In some cases I find it cruel and unusual punishment to keep it alive, so yes, in some cases...

In the womb I think it is even more important to abort if the kid is seriously messed up.

I willingly surrender that right if it makes Libertarian position stronger.

You don't have that right, you have never had that right and under the American Constitution, you can never have that right. You can't give up something that you never had.

Holocaust Jokes are evil, but they keep us vigilant in case any other genocide is planned. It also reminds us that massive killing of children with disabilities was the norm in the most advanced nations up to 18th century and continues in some parts of the World.

I might agree with you, that doesn't change the fact that people have the Constitutionally-guaranteed right to free speech

Anywhere. If you try to assault someone who offends you, you're the one held accountable, not them.

I meant if you are sitting in your house I am not allowed to come into your house uninvited at offend you... that is trespassing and harrassment.

I don't support abortion morally...

Obviously you do, Mr. "Open Season".

In some cases I find it cruel and unusual punishment to keep it alive, so yes, in some cases...

You're so full of it. Before when you said defective children should be killed, it had zero do with concern over them but everything to do with saving money, etc. Why try feigning concern now?

In the womb I think it is even more important to abort if the kid is seriously messed up.

Good grief, you keep changing what you're saying. First it was all children born with defects should be killed, think of the savings money-wise. Then you were all, "no, no wait, I misunderstood - killing born babies is unacceptable", then "well it's totally acceptable if it's what the parents want done, but in the womb, it should be open season on the preborn", then "I don't morally support aborting babies, but the ones who are defective need to be destroyed in the womb even the parents don't want that".

Here's my current understanding of where you are. Aborting defective babies saves money so that should be compulsory. Once the baby is born, killing it is fine and totally acceptable if it's what the parents want. Have I got that all down or do you need to change it again?

Last edited:
Once born, a child legally has the same right to live as the parents in the USA. It would be a dangerous precedent to make it legal for the parents to kill their child for whatever reason.

Obviously you do, Mr. "Open Season".

I like that nick name...

You're so full of it. Before when you said defective children should be killed, it had zero do with concern over them but everything to do with saving money, etc. Why try feigning concern now?

I am not concerned about killing them and the money is a positive by-product...

Good grief, you keep changing what you're saying. First it was all children born with defects should be killed, think of the savings money-wise. Then you were all, "no, no wait, I misunderstood - killing born babies is unacceptable", then "well it's totally acceptable if it's what the parents want done, but in the womb, it should be open season on the preborn", then "I don't morally support aborting babies, but the ones who are defective need to be destroyed in the womb even the parents don't want that".

Here's my current understanding of where you are. Aborting defective babies saves money so that should be compulsory. Once the baby is born, killing it is fine and totally acceptable if it's what the parents want. Have I got that all down or do you need to change it again?

Pretty close...

Once born, a child legally has the same right to live as the parents in the USA. It would be a dangerous precedent to make it legal for the parents to kill their child for whatever reason.

So I can just take my boat out into international waters and kill my defective kid then?

So I can just take my boat out into international waters and kill my defective kid then?

Isn't that totally what you support? Certainly, based on what you've said, it would make no sense for you to object to that.

Isn't that totally what you support? Certainly, based on what you've said, it would make no sense for you to object to that.

I am just asking a question... can you answer it please?

You don't have that right, you have never had that right and under the American Constitution, you can never have that right. You can't give up something that you never had.

About the right not to be offended you are right -- as the King of The United States I pledge that I am not the King of the United States.

But in any case that is a sick joke.

If you are US citizen you are subject to US law no matter where you go once you return. Otherwise we rely on extradition laws. I am not aware of a law free zone in international waters.

I like that nick name...

I am not concerned about killing them and the money is a positive by-product...

Pretty close...

Good. Can we now also dispense with the pretense of having some moral objection to abortion? I mean, espouse whatever horrific beliefs you want but be consistent, at least, otherwise some or all of what you're claiming just looks like nothing more than lying.

It's unethical, but there are advantages to it. The ancient Greeks did it, and China and North Korea do it today.

Euthanized, no. But the mother should most certainly have the option - and it's 100% HER option - to abort the fetus.

As for my standing, I've been a Foster dad of medically-fragile children since 1999. The one who's been with us the longest has fetal alcohol syndrome - the mother had been drinking alcohol during pregnancy (and we had one with fetal drug syndrome, same cause, pretty much the same symptoms). Our child - he's aged out of the Foster care system, but he's still with us - has a trach, a g-tube, seizure disorders, rods in his back, cleft palate, learning disorders, will never, ever be able to live independently. He can't play, he'll never have romantic relationships, he'll never get to enjoy what other kids do...even though he can see and understand much of what's going on around him. Perhaps the saddest thing is, while he can understand much of what we tell him, he's unable to communicate back with us to tell us where it hurts, or even point to where it hurts.

And the cost to the taxpayers is immense. In 2005 I added it all up, and between the nursing care, the meds, the feeding (@ $10/meal), the doctors' appts, the equipment and supplies, and the rather small amount we ourselves get paid for compensation, it cost the WA state taxpayers about a quarter million dollars per year to keep him - and every child like him - alive. It's probably about half that now that since he's aged out and stable, there's no more paid nursing care...but he's likely to outlive my Darling and myself...and it will cost that much every year to keep him alive.

So while I'm opposed to euthanization, I present my child's case as a challenge to all anti-abortionists to see just how hard-line their stances on abortion really is. Funny how I get very few replies from the "right-to-life" crowd on this challenge.

I am just asking a question... can you answer it please?

I guess it depends if you're asking legally or morally. Morally, of course, I'd oppose it (where you would not). Legally, I'm not sure. I think most nations would take a dim view of intentionally drowning children but I really can't speak to what the laws governing international waters are.

UPDATE:

I thought it was if the defect was detected in the womb and they were aborted. My bad.

Killing a baby once it is born is not acceptable. I misread it, in all honesty. I am stupid....

Why does the location matter?

"Defective" kid? *cringe* I thought you were a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom