• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should immigrants be forced to blend in with the larger society?

kennedy74

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
When an immigrant enters a country, do you think they should be forced to blend in with the larger society? I don't mean totally conform to the society and forget about all their native roots...but should they take in more of the new countries cultural ways an means. (also by force..I don't mean by using means of law and rules)

kennedy74 said:
When an immigrant enters a country, do you think they should be forced to blend in with the larger society? I don't mean totally conform to the society and forget about all their native roots...but should they take in more of the new countries cultural ways an means. (also by force..I don't mean by using means of law and rules)

Yes, I think they should. They should learn to speak our language, learn about our history, our customs, and try to become productive citizens.

Yes, and if they don't want to, they ought to get the first bus out of town. We don't need any more hyphenated Americans here. And if it were up to me a few native born Americans would be given the boot as well. Far too many are just the gimme, gimme, gimme generation.

I believe it should be made abundantly clear that English is the language of the united states, that immigration into our country does not offer any minority status or benefits, and our history and culture must be learned and tested on before full citizenship is to be given.

And as for mule's "enlightened" remarks about getting rid of some of our own citizens...I have one reply...Missouri_Taliban

jallman said:
I believe it should be made abundantly clear that English is the language of the united states, that immigration into our country does not offer any minority status or benefits, and our history and culture must be learned and tested on before full citizenship is to be given.

And as for mule's "enlightened" remarks about getting rid of some of our own citizens...I have one reply...Missouri_Taliban

Silly comment. I could say the same thing about people like you, although I don't know if you are good citizen or not. Are you a good citizen?

I think that they should be forced to take some sort of class or schooling when entering a country to learn the language...and have a large grasp on it within 2 years of being in the new country. There are way to many people who do not even care to learn basic english. People could argue all they want on the other side...that immigrants need to keep their original beliefs language etc...but in return I think that only leads to problems....basically just a case of ethnic division problems. People not understanding one another etc....

kennedy74 said:
I think that they should be forced to take some sort of class or schooling when entering a country to learn the language...and have a large grasp on it within 2 years of being in the new country. There are way to many people who do not even care to learn basic english. People could argue all they want on the other side...that immigrants need to keep their original beliefs language etc...but in return I think that only leads to problems....basically just a case of ethnic division problems. People not understanding one another etc....

i think it doesn't matter what culture they adopt as long as they know the language. If they don't wanna learn the language, fine let them stay, but then they shouldn't fight for language benefits. If don't wanna learn our language, learn to survive in this country without it.

When an immigrant enters a country, do you think they should be forced to blend in with the larger society?

Of course.People come to our country to be Americans not Chinise,Mexican,Spanish,Italians,Germans or what ever.

Yeah right so Mexicans want to become American...they don't its why many come here to work only and make AMerica more mexican.

Missouri Mule said:
Silly comment. I could say the same thing about people like you, although I don't know if you are good citizen or not. Are you a good citizen?

I believe I am a very good citizen. I vote at each election. I adhere to the laws, federal state and local. I pay my taxes, I served in the military, I speak up when I think there is an injustice occurring, I support my president, and I tolerate the beliefs and feelings of others. I dont think I do too badly as a citizen. Now...are YOU a good citizen?

I dont think Americans are in ANY position to try to force others to learn languages. first of all will you learn another language(presumably spanish) when according to demographics the hispanic population in the US will surpass the white population in less than 50 years?( you can find this anywhere from the Economist to Foreign Policy, both respect journals). I highly doubt that you will. Remember also your so called history. Most of the South West United States was under Spain(hence Mexico) for more than 300 years and it has only been part of the US for about a little more than 100 years. There where hispanic communities living in those areas centuries before the first American showed up. Lastly in the US the ignorance of languages is ridiculous. You can go to most places in Europe and they at least know 3 or 4 languages, the Average american only knows english and sometimes even their english is poor. I say that we look at ourselves before demanding from others. I already know most of the replies that are going to be posted agaisnt this( " but they are coming to the US we are not going to their nations") remember the simple fact that the US goes to MANY nations without being welcomed( from Japan and China in the 1800s to most of Latin America in the 1900s) and we usually bring the same ignorance that some immigrants bring to the US.

Yeah right so Mexicans want to become American...they don't its why many come here to work only and make AMerica more mexican.

The way I look at it if you do not want to become American then get the **** out and go back to your country.They should have that posted on a sign on the border and in the immigration offices.

I was discussing this subject with a Mexican citizen the other day. He has been here for some time and has his green card. He wonders why Mexicans in particular are given such a hard time since they do the crap work that native workers won't do. Hard to argue with that logic. I told him and I'll tell anyone who wants my opinion is that the U.S. and Mexico should merge. The government in Mexico is hopelessly corrupt and will always be so. So long as we have tens of millions of Mexicans here we might as well just become one big country and stop all of this stuff. It would be a "win-win" situation all around.

Missouri Mule said:
I was discussing this subject with a Mexican citizen the other day. He has been here for some time and has his green card. He wonders why Mexicans in particular are given such a hard time since they do the crap work that native workers won't do. Hard to argue with that logic. I told him and I'll tell anyone who wants my opinion is that the U.S. and Mexico should merge. The government in Mexico is hopelessly corrupt and will always be so. So long as we have tens of millions of Mexicans here we might as well just become one big country and stop all of this stuff. It would be a "win-win" situation all around.

:shock: Thats actually a great idea. I have a couple of puero rican friends that have said that exact thing. They have a really hard time with the fact that there is ANY opposition to puerto rico becoming a state for that matter.

jallman said:
:shock: Thats actually a great idea. I have a couple of puero rican friends that have said that exact thing. They have a really hard time with the fact that there is ANY opposition to puerto rico becoming a state for that matter.

I think it has something to do with their territorial status. There are tax advantages as I understand it.

As to Mexico, I read recently that 40% of the Mexican population wants to come to America. That being the case, let's just stop the pretense and just combine forces. We can clean up the political corruptness down there, invest in Mexico and put everyone to work. Right now, we have these young Mexicans coming over here to find work at half way decent wages because they can't find work in Mexico that pays anything. They work their butts off and get screwed all the time. Everyone knows, including the local police that most are illegals, (they line up at the railroad tracks nearby for day labor jobs) but they look the other way. They do everything. They cut the grass, trim the trees, pick our crops; the stoop labor, fix the food in the restaurants, and all kinds of other lousy jobs; yet some people look down on them as they they are sub-human. This is outrageous and we ought to be ashamed as Americans. What the heck are these people supposed to do in Mexico -- starve? We'd do the same things if we were in their shoes.

Yes, we need to control our borders. But we have to recognize that these necessary jobs are simply not going to be done by native Americans. Let's just cut the crap and be done with it. Merge the two countries and everyone wins.

George_Washington said:
Yes, I think they should. They should learn to speak our language, learn about our history, our customs, and try to become productive citizens.

Many immigrants can hardly read and write in their own language, and some are illiterate. Those that are well educated often have a better grasp of our language and history than many natives.

MiamiFlorida said:
Many immigrants can hardly read and write in their own language, and some are illiterate. Those that are well educated often have a better grasp of our language and history than many natives.

I don't think it is too much to ask that we speak a common language.

Hell Yes ! You should have to know English to become a citizen.Foreign language TV would have to run English classes to get a license.

I don't think it should be required to know english. But consequently, the government shouldn't have to enforce any accomodation for non-english speaking residents.

You notice all hullaballoo on Mexican and other south American immigrants holidays. There all so proud of their countries,they just don't want to live there ! It always seems so strange why thses people dont stay in their homelands and help them improve,instead they do anything they can to get the hell out .

JOHNYJ said:
You notice all hullaballoo on Mexican and other south American immigrants holidays. There all so proud of their countries,they just don't want to live there ! It always seems so strange why thses people dont stay in their homelands and help them improve,instead they do anything they can to get the hell out .

Whats wrong with letting them be proud of their own countries. They were born in those countries, they'll have a place in their heart for those countries. That doesn't mean they hate America. I know many immigrants, including my family, who celebrate both 4th of July and their respective nation's holidays.

How are these countries going to improve if everyone that can, leaves.
If you love a country you try to help it.
Many Americans were driven out of their homelands,by famine, persecution, They didn't leave just because they could make more money.
Also they came here to be, Americans !
Not to change America to suit them !

My good friends, all of U are immigrants thru your mothers and fathers,
from what country they come from,just like Israel know probs, about that,just a mixed up race from all over the world. so give the rest a chance like what u got from us

GREAT BRITAIN, thats how u speak ENGLISH

and are lucky it was us
so go on and behave your selves.

mikeey

jallman said:

well thats funny I always thought there were more latinos then english in America
your history is bogus

And the laws of the land states no homo sexual mariages
so would that also mean that homo sexuals ought to conform to the laws

mexicans over run AMErica dont speak english
you are at war and your border with mexico is wide open
America is bogus in the eyes of the world
we look at America as the crumbling empire bent on imperialism because the us hegemony is about to colapse

Back
Top Bottom