• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should I Be an Ideologue or a Pragmatist?

Should I Be an Ideologue or a Pragmatist?

• Ideologue

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Pragmatist

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Arts&Sciences

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I'm sure you're all rather sick of my "I'm not going to give my opinion" line. My problem on previous forums is that I have been an ideologue. Sometimes I am to the left and sometimes to the right, but I have always taken the approach of being fiercely uncompromising and aiming for goals that I consider ideal- even if they are not (even in my own mind) realistic. I contrast that with a pragmatic approach- that is- one that seeks to achieve goals incrementally. Now, I am neither a communist nor a strong economic libertarian, but these are the best examples that I can give. Suppose that someone believed in communism, not in the sense of a Stalinist dictatorship but rather in the sense of total wealth redistribution. Should that person advocate that or advocate a gradually more progressive income tax? Suppose, in turn, that an economic libertarian wanted to eliminate all taxes and pay for the government with user fees only. Should that economic right-winger advocate that or advocate gradually lower and flatter taxes? That is the sort of dilemma that I face. I am 20 years old and I need your advice on what approach I should take when I finally express my political views. Please vote on the poll and, if possible, give me advice in replies. Thank you very much.

The question is a little off-kilter...

The only votes you will get will be from those who want you to be what they are...The final tally will reflect THEIR position and not yours...

Now if you're looking for opinions...I am a pragmatist...

Ideologues USUALLY(I'm generalizing) have no room for negotiations...They tend to think in terms of black & white...grey is unacceptable...

I'll refer to the old saying, "A good compromise is when no one wins alot, but both sides win a little."...Of course, this would also have to depend on the demands from each side...

Be Pragmatic in the application of your ideology.

Remember, everything is all f'ed up, but that's a good thing.

And the glass is niether half empty nor half full, it is completely full. It's filled with 1/2 volume of water and 1/2 volume of air.

I definitely see your point. However, since no one on the site knows what my views are, it would seem to me (I could be wrong) that no one would have a motive to fire up or water down my ideology. I guess the question that I should really have asked is whether I should describe a utopia or "what the country should, practically speaking, be like ten years from now". I have tended towards the former on other sites, but I certainly didn't win anyone over to say the least. Maybe I'll have to ask a communist or a libertarian about the matter. :smile:

Hey! A libertarian did respond. I gather that you are saying that you would advocate gradually lowering taxes, for example, rather than eliminating them all at once. Thank you for the advice.

Arts&Sciences said:
Hey! A libertarian did respond. I gather that you are saying that you would advocate gradually lowering taxes, for example, rather than eliminating them all at once. Thank you for the advice.

Firmly, switfly, but responsibly. I love economics and economic theory, and one thing all economies to not like are big shocks to the system. Immediately making all dollars worth gold, tomarrow, would cause so much unecessary strif as to possibly not be worth it, or even to lower taxes 50%...

Pouring the 1/2 volume of water into a better cup will save more water, than throwing the water... Measure twice, cut once.

Last edited:
Thank you, libertarian knight. Just so you know, I'm not a libertarian, but like libertarians, I have managed to get both the left and the right very angry with me for being uncompromising on so many issues (though you're more pragmatic). I wonder who is voting for me to be an ideologue.

well, it wasn't me. Mind you, i am uncompromising in my ideology, I am a staunch and strong libertarian, Free-Market advocate, minimal or absent State (not just federalism and consitutional constructionism). I am pragmatic in my application to a world that has other people in it. Just no compromise for the wretched, evil and greedy.

Arts&Sciences said:
Thank you, libertarian knight. Just so you know, I'm not a libertarian, but like libertarians, I have managed to get both the left and the right very angry with me for being uncompromising on so many issues (though you're more pragmatic). I wonder who is voting for me to be an ideologue.

Well speaking as another libertarian, I don't advocate anyone being an ideologue because that is entirely too much like blind faith. It requires no substantiation, no thought, allows no room for compromise, and is entirely too gullible.

That does not imply that a person will not have or defend their convictions however. Reasonable people will leave room for new information and can change their mind if warranted. They are not ashamed to admit they don't know something. They also know what they believe and why they believe it. They are persuaded neither by their peers nor shaken by nay sayers, and they do not fall prey to every idiot theory or rumor that comes down the pike.

I agree with CNRedd that the goal should always be win-win as much as can be accomplished without violating core principles. With that in mind, people do not have to agree in order to achieve a common goal.

I think that the people who want me to be an ideologue just enjoy arguments. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom