• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should hijabs be illegal to wear in the US?

Should the Hijab be banned in the U.S?

• Total voters
I think it would be a symbolic and bold statement to ban women wearing hijabs in this country. Anytime I see a poor women in this country wearing a hijab, it angers me. The hijab represents oppression, bigotry and is insulting to wester civilization. Enacting such a law would send a defining message to the terrorists that their hatred won't be tolerated in this country. It could begin a brokerage of trust for Muslim women to assimilate to our culture and society instead of theirs.

What are your thoughts?

Wow so much wrong with this OP it can't be real so Ill just answer the question has it was asked. "Should the Hijab be banned in the U.S?" Of course not, there's something in the US called the constitution. It has a 1st amendment that would'nt allow this.

Wait. Wut?
No, your reply is weak.
I never said appealing to the Constitution was or wasn't an appeal to authority, did I?

I asked if you could debate him without relying on an appeal to authority.
Do you not know the difference here?

And while it was a serious question, it was not predicated on the post to which you were replying.

Okay. In other words, you shot your mouth off for no reason.

However, this does not dismiss or circumvent the public safety aspect of a required full face photo ID, so I believe that the state is within it's bounds to require removal of the hijab, both during the taking of photo ID as well as the during any LEO interaction requiring confirmation of ID (comparison to produced photo ID). This act is not an instance of disrespect for the religion nor the individual, it is a public safety matter.
Are you aware that the hijab is just a headscarf and doesn’t cover the face at all?

Are you aware that the hijab is just a headscarf and doesn’t cover the face at all?

Even less reason that it needs to be such a damn big deal. WTF people?

Pretty unanimous poll.
Love it.

what kind of stupid idea is this for a poll?
ban the hijab?
and the yarmulke perhaps?
and Sikh turbans?
and Buddhist robes?
and nuns habits?
and so on and so on...

is the idea to ban a elements of a specific religion you don't like or all such religious elements?

In those countries you MUST wrap your woman from head to toe in unflattering garb simply because there is a certain class of person in those countries that are completely above the law, and think nothing of grabbing your daughter, sister, or wife off the street and raping them. Knowing full well nothing will happen to them.

Laws or no laws, you NEED to protect your women from theses hoodlums, and covering them up is just one of several way to protect them from them.

Laws are NOT practiced fairly in those countries at all, so you do not want your lady to be a target.

It is NOT misogynistic, it is just a way to try and protect them from these vultures who everyone knows are above the law.

You cannot apply our values to theirs without understanding the reasoning it was done in the first place.

It is not our place to impose our will & values upon the rest of the world.

Some of our values are complete crap.

I am Catholic, I do not wear a cross right now but if someone tried to ban it from my chosen wardrobe they would have the fight of a lifetime. The Burka and the Hijab are meaningful to many muslim practicioners and that is all the explanation needed. Now, I don't think private businesses should have to accommodate them but that is law, as well, it is constitutional law that a person has the right to religion and expression, that means religious dress is absolutely protected. Banning religious dress except for identification purposes is absolutely illegal, they have rights and I respect that.

Okay. In other words, you shot your mouth off for no reason.
Funny, but no.
As you were already told, it was serious question, but you are apparently continuing to deflect from it though.

Again.
Bucky has made it abundantly clear that he thinks the constitution only applies to those whose choices he agrees with.
Ok.
So can you debate him without relying on an appeal to authority?

Clearly it was you who shot their mouth off.
This site is for debate, not for commenting about a poster to another, so I asked you if you could debate him without relying on appeal to authority instead of what you were doing.

I guess you can't because you keep deflecting.

I'm 39, and have never heard of cops referred to as "peace officers."

Sad. Your in NY. The term peace officer must have died out there sooner than my neck of the woods. Goshin remembers those times, as do a few others on this board. Oh well. :(

If you want to ban the hijab, then also ban makeup, skirts and high heels. They're all pretty oppressive to women especially in city cultures where women can't land certain jobs unless they make themselves sex objects.

Just saying... there are all kinds of oppression. In America if a woman is wearing a hijab then she's choosing to, and not because a government is forcing her to.

My answer is flat out no. Freedom means tolerating what you don't like. Deal with it.

If you want to ban the hijab, then also ban makeup, skirts and high heels. They're all pretty oppressive to women especially in city cultures where women can't land certain jobs unless they make themselves sex objects.

What jobs are those?

In my opinion, the hijab and Burka are both forms of oppression. But then again, I am a westerner with western influenced ideas & philosophies.

I still have to vote no when it comes to banning them.

The sarcastic part of my mind says that the "saggy pants" syndrome is far more repulsive to me than some lady wearing a oppressive hijab. ;)

Sagging_crop.jpg

I think it would be a symbolic and bold statement to ban women wearing hijabs in this country. Anytime I see a poor women in this country wearing a hijab, it angers me. The hijab represents oppression, bigotry and is insulting to wester civilization. Enacting such a law would send a defining message to the terrorists that their hatred won't be tolerated in this country. It could begin a brokerage of trust for Muslim women to assimilate to our culture and society instead of theirs.

What are your thoughts?

Can you explain to us why you hate freedom and desire a government that controls what we wear?

What are your thoughts?

Some would be wrong... besides, I like those hijabs... I always wonder what they are wearing (or not wearing if you catch my drift) under those things.

I voted "other". It should not be banned at all...EXCEPT for drivers licenses, other forms of ID, etc. If they want to wear a sack over their head and body, that's up to them. What I WOULD like to see banned is guys with their pants down around the bottom of their butts where their underwear is showing.

Oh for goodness sake, the hjab is a head scarf...

No, I like that they make it easy to pick them out of a crowd. The less work I need to go to to figure out where someone stands the better, I am lazy.

Wait... you determine what a person is like SOLELY on what they wear??? You're right. You are lazy.

What are your thoughts?

Besides the fact that we have a First Amendment in this country regarding freedom of expression and religion, if it pisses off feminists I'm all for it.

It is not a violation of their constitutional rights because they do not have the same rights as us. When their husbands are killing innocent civilians and they remain silent, their rights deserve to be limited/suspended.

Where does the Constitution say it's protections from the government are limited to U.S. citizens?

And Bucky, don't you dare include me in an 'us" with you. I'm an American who did his time in the military, pays his taxes, votes, and cares about the Constituion.

I just realized why so many nut jobs refer to themselves as centrists. Like Donald Trump and Barack Obama, they consider themselves the center of the universe. Therefore, they are "the" centrist.

What are your thoughts?

I think perhaps you have idiotic thoughts.

33854d05829b84d25bbf774e255ac1ec.jpg

This woman can wear whatever she wants. So can any other woman.

You're idea of denying them a choice is just as asinine as the idea of someone forcing a woman to wear one.

Now if you're talking about burqas, I might feel more inclined to at least entertain the idea.

Hijabs can be very sexy and highly fashionable, as well as not the least bit frightening.

A hijab is not any different than a nun's habit is it? Are you suggesting the nun's habit should be outlawed too?

s-l400.jpg

What are your thoughts?

No. Should the following religious attire be banned?

image.jpg

SIAP. IMO, the more pertinent question is should religious attire be allowed for official state (or federal ) identification? A real debate is raging in, for example, Michigan, where Muslim women demand to wear their hijab (an article of clothing covering to the waist of the Muslim female) for, for example, driver's license photos.

Another more pertinent question for debate: should sharia law be allowed in the US?

Last edited:
How many Muslim women demand to wear their hijab when having photo made for state ID? I don't know one could call the debate "raging."
SIAP. IMO, the more pertinent question is should religious attire be allowed for official state (or federal ) identification? A real debate is raging in, for example, Michigan, where Muslim women demand to wear their hijab (an article of clothing covering most of the Muslim female) for, for example, driver's license photos.

No. Should the following religious attire be banned?

View attachment 67203707
No. Someone of authority can identify this nun even with the religious garb. I can forsee another official identification photo being taken of her without the religious garb, though.

How many Muslim women demand to wear their hijab when having photo made for state ID? I don't know one could call the debate "raging."
Michigan. Flint, Michigan precisely.

Back
Top Bottom