• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should High School choir sing at Non-Denominational Prayer Service for Senior Class?

Should High School choir sing at Non-Denominational Prayer Service for Senior Class?

• Yes, if voluntary and held off school grounds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MyOwnDrum

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My daughter says that she has to be at the school by 5 today. Her choir is singing at a Non-Denominational prayer service for the High School graduating class. I checked the school website, it doesn't look as if they are sponsoring it since it's not listed on their events calendar (wisely).

What do you think? Should this be allowed? And should they be allowed to hold it on school grounds?

Re: Should High School choir sing at Non-Denominational Prayer Service for Senior Cla

My daughter says that she has to be at the school by 5 today. Her choir is singing at a Non-Denominational prayer service for the High School graduating class. I checked the school website, it doesn't look as if they are sponsoring it since it's not listed on their events calendar (wisely).

What do you think? Should this be allowed? And should they be allowed to hold it on school grounds?

I really hate to answer a question with some questions. But what does she want to do? Is she being forced into this by peer pressure? Does she have feelings of obligation?

Re: Should High School choir sing at Non-Denominational Prayer Service for Senior Cla

She likes choir and likes to participate. We are a Christian family and we have no problem with her participating in this traditional event. I was wondering how others felt.

Last edited:

She likes choir and likes to participate. We are a Christian family and we have no problem with her participating in this traditional event. I was wondering how others felt.

Then enjoy it.

Then enjoy it.
Quite.

I would say that any who wish to participate can, and any who do not should not be required to.

Only reasonable answer I can see.

Quite.

I would say that any who wish to participate can, and any who do not should not be required to.

Only reasonable answer I can see.

My step son goes to an overtly Christian school and I enjoy when he performs despite the Chritser thing.

I think it depends on the context. If it's a separate religious service such as Baccalaureate or something, then it should be allowed for whoever wants to participate. However, if the prayer service is part of graduation itself, I don't think that should be allowed at a public school.

As long as any choir members who wish to are free to opt out without it affecting their grade, it's fine.

No problem with it. As long as its Non-Denominational, and any of the choir members can back out without penalty.

As long as the event is not organised by the school, as long as nobody are required to show up and as long as it is just the choir members themselves who agree to hold the event I see no problem with it. I think it is good that schools lend their facilities to volunteer activities like this. It creates good possibilities for people in the community to get together and do something together.

Back
Top Bottom