• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Hawaii become the model for nationwide gun-control?

Saving lives is. My signature says very clearly you do not care about saving lives

If you care about saving lives than you should crack down on cigarettes. Cigarettes cause about 480,000 deaths per year, there are far more deaths by cigarettes than there are deaths by guns. And of those 480,000 deaths, about 41,000 of them are from secondhand smoke. So just secondhand smoke alone causes about as much, if not more, deaths than guns.

If you care about saving lives than you should crack down on cigarettes. Cigarettes cause about 480,000 deaths per year, there are far more deaths by cigarettes than there are deaths by guns. And of those 480,000 deaths, about 41,000 of them are from secondhand smoke. So just secondhand smoke alone causes about as much, if not more, deaths than guns.

you'd think that but that assumes saving lives is what really motivates the leaders (vs the followers) of the gun control movement.

It's funny how you're just looking at Hawaii and not the nation as a whole. Now it is true that Hawaii has one of the lowest homicide rates in the country last year at 2.5 per 100,000. California also has strict gun control compared with the rest of the nation as a whole and yet it had a much higher homicide rate of 4.6. And you didn't even mention Vermont which does not require a permit for concealed carry and yet, it had a lower homicide rate than Hawaii for all six years measured.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_homicide_rate

Really late to this party.... BUT I wanted in on this as this is relevant for me as a resident.

OK so should Hawaii be a model? Model for acquisition control? While Hawaii is a HUGE PAIN in the butt.....It does NOT infringe on my basic rights to own. I surely have to GO through hoops and jumps to acquire... but I can still acquire the basic needs of a citizen. Do I like it? NO. Do I wish it was easier? YES. DO I think its Fair? To a certain extent.

Here are the things......that some might not know.

1) Hawaii being a melting pot, the racism here is a different type. Its Equal, everyone one hates everyone equally, LOL. So violence or aggression or escalation, Is not specific.
2) Hawaii being Hawaii, being a much different tempo, changes the escalation of anger and so forth 79* year round.... sunny skies beach in walking distance... yeah the need to go off is well probably a little less than your typical dense city
3) We are a Military Hub, So many of the Residence are familiar with military, firearms, protocols. Stories have been shared and the effects of WWII are of factors of Hawaii Society. Bombing of Pearl Harbor and the 100 Battalion 442 regimen and their accomplishments.

Ok so why is this all important? Well the way society treats each other is partially the cause of violence. Hawaii Society is much different from lets say New York, or Los Angeles or Vermont or Chicago So to say that Hawaii's Gun Laws are what works well NO, I dont think it matters. The society itself is the difference.

Here are some Cases.

Christopher Deedy - Prolific case.... Transplant. shooting a local resident, justified, but different mind set
Jordon Smith - Transplant, shot and randomly sprayed in Waikiki
Unknown Shooter - Chinatown, shooting sketchy area and likely to do with a gambling den

Most of the shooting and shooting deaths that occur are NOT by local residents and not by law abiding citizens... So existing gun laws did not change the outcome of the shootings noted above... they just limited the local citizens the inability or the challenges of obtaining. More so if it was committed by a local resident the Firearm was acquired illegally.

The Laws themselves on actually having a firearm is also a challenge. So obtaining a firearm is fine...... I do agree with the process its a little overkill but you know what, I get it and I can accept it. Even being a supporter of the 2A. What doesnt make sense are as listed

1) Rap - Back Program, To be paid by people registering firearms. But intended to Protect the state. So what is the STATE or all people being charged for this program? Its intended to background check those registering so that it protects other citizens why are the people registering having to pay $42. How bout fund it through the STATE TAX? The intent is to discourage purchase which is WRONG and inconvenient. More so prior the registration process was $23 exact change, if you didnt have it you gotta leave and get it.... NO Credit Card no Check, cash only.... talk about finding ever reason to make it difficult

2) The Medical Waiver. 2 of the 5 health insurance carriers refuse to respond to the medical waiver, making it impossible for a person registering obtain a fire arm even if they are legal to own one. There is are 2 LOOP holes in this that I wont share... but the fact that 2 of 5 carriers are bucking this, in addition 2 loopholes this is just a double negative, that Makes no sense.

3) Usage and transportation. From POINT A to POINT B...... no stops for a class 3 felony..... meaning home to range. Home to work place (if allowed) and Back, NO stops even if its locked in the trunk of your car. MEANING the State has taking out the right of self defense. It is merely seen as a Hobby. Nothing more.

4) Rights of the criminal are taken over the rights of the homeowner, Castle law is in effect BUT..... you are not allowed to escalate or even go to deadly force if the intruder is not armed..... If you shoot an unarmed inturder you face criminal and civil charges along with being liability for bodily injury. WTF is that you come into my house uninvited, illegally, with the intent to cause a criminal act and I get hit with criminal charge/civil charge and my insurance has to pay your Bodily Injury......

Anways our Laws here in Hawaii are Fair in my mind for acquisition if I was to look at it LOGICALLY. But the rules for usage are barbaric and useless as they force-ably make the firearm unusable for the intended purpose of self defense. You cant carry it around.... and you cannot use it unless its met with justifiable force.

SOOOOOOOOOO Yeah know, I wish Hawaii laws on no other state....... but I guess it could be worse... for Law abiding citizens... featureless rifles and button mag releases can kiss my @SS as well....

Back
Top Bottom