• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should hand-held cell phone use be banned while driving?

Should hand-held cell phone use be banned while driving?

• Yes

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
jallman said:
but god it is a pain when you disagree with stinger...I like that guy. :2wave:

You mean the way he debates every sentence of your post? ;)

Hi Stinger. :cool:

aps said:
You mean the way he debates every sentence of your post? ;)

Hi Stinger. :cool:

:2wave:

As I said in another post. I drive for a living. Been doing it for over 30 years. I have more close calls now due to people talking on their phones than at any other time or for any other reason. I refuse to answer mine while I drive. leave a voice-mail and I'll call you when I stop.

Stinger said:
I have answered what you have asked and pointed out that YOUR premise supports MY arguement. Today on Fox and Friends they had film of a woman putting on make-up while driving and reporting how she was arrested and given a ticket for careless driving. Studies now show that driving while talking on the cell can be JUST as distracting and distracting in it's own unique way. It should be treated the same way as the distractions you have pointed out to support YOUR arguement, that is illegal.

What studies?

You say there's studies.

You don't show those studies.

They must not exist.

When you can find some data, come back and post it, okay?

As for the rest, like I've been saying, have they banned radios and CD players in cars? Passengers? Food? Then clearly those more common hazards don't have the same priority in the law as cell phones.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
As for the rest, like I've been saying, have they banned radios and CD players in cars? Passengers? Food? Then clearly those more common hazards don't have the same priority in the law as cell phones.

Radios: function without the constant attention of the driver
CD players: Function without the constant attention of the driver.
Food: Does not require the constant attention of the driver.
Passengers: Do not require the attention of the driver.

Cell phones...require direct attention for input, constant handling while in use, and the direct attention of the driver to serve its purpose. If you want to talk on the phone while driving, get a hands free set. Its really simple logic. Why are you having a hard time grasping it?

jallman said:

Cell phones...require direct attention for input, constant handling while in use, and the direct attention of the driver to serve its purpose. If you want to talk on the phone while driving, get a hands free set. Its really simple logic. Why are you having a hard time grasping it?

Even with a 'hands free' set, you still have to divert attention from your primary and only purpose. Controlling tons of lethal mass, safely.

:ranton:
While I have the floor, I very rarely listen to commercial broadcast radio, while driving, but some of the times that I have, I have heard commercials with sirens or honking horns in them. Now I'm alerted to a false roadway warning and my attention is needlessly diverted when it shouldn't be. To me, that should be illegal.:rantoff: :lol:

jallman said:

Radios: Require that one instant of distraction that can put your car in the ditch.

Food: Requires that one instant of blocked airway to get the driver to totally let go of the steering wheel and turn purple. Also, that attention to keep the food out of your lap can be distracting, especially when your trying to keep hot coffee off your nads.

Passengers. I see you never met my ex-wife. I'll do you a favor and keep it that way.

Cell phones...no different than talking to a passenger, unless the driver is a complete idiot. Should be even easier, since there's no face to look at. Also, there's a old "hang on a sec, I have to cut off the cement truck, dodge the highway patrolman hiding behind him, hit the brakes, slip in behind the eighteenwheeler, accelerate and cut off the blonde in the yellow converible...'HI!'...there, I'm on the on ramp, what was that you were saying" gag.

Or we can treat people like mature adults and expect them to use the same judgement when dealing with the telephone as we do when they're stuffing their face while turning off Howard Stern and telling the cute hitch-hiker that we're millionaire CEO's.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Radios: Food: Passengers.

Are not even in the same league as cell phones when it comes to distracting and zoning out the driver. This is no longer a debatable fact, the studies are quite clear as much as you want to remain in denial.

Cell phones...no different than talking to a passenger,

It is QUITE different as the studies show. And even using a headset doesn't make a difference when talking on the phone. It is a UNIQUE danger.

Or we can treat people like mature adults and expect them to use the same judgement when dealing with the telephone as we do when they're stuffing their face while turning off Howard Stern and telling the cute hitch-hiker that we're millionaire CEO's.

And we make things that are particularly distracting ILLEGAL for MATURE and immature adults to do while driving. WE make things that we know from accident reports contribute inordinately to accidents ILLEGAL for MATURE adults. It has nothing to do with maturity.

Stinger said:
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Radios: Food: Passengers.

Are not even in the same league as cell phones when it comes to distracting and zoning out the driver. This is no longer a debatable fact, the studies are quite clear as much as you want to remain in denial.

It is QUITE different as the studies show. And even using a headset doesn't make a difference when talking on the phone. It is a UNIQUE danger.

And we make things that are particularly distracting ILLEGAL for MATURE and immature adults to do while driving. WE make things that we know from accident reports contribute inordinately to accidents ILLEGAL for MATURE adults. It has nothing to do with maturity.

What studies are clear? When are you people going to post one?

Studies show the A-1 most distracting thing to a driver is kids farting in the back seat. You show me your study proclaiming cell phones to be worse, and I'll post mine.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Stinger said:
What studies are clear? When are you people going to post one?

Studies show the A-1 most distracting thing to a driver is kids farting in the back seat. You show me your study proclaiming cell phones to be worse, and I'll post mine.

It's not a matter of what is worse, they are distractive enough to be outlawed along with the myriad of other activities you can get a ticket for.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Cell phones...no different than talking to a passenger, unless the driver is a complete idiot. Should be even easier, since there's no face to look at. Also, there's a old "hang on a sec, I have to cut off the cement truck, dodge the highway patrolman hiding behind him, hit the brakes, slip in behind the eighteenwheeler, accelerate and cut off the blonde in the yellow converible...'HI!'...there, I'm on the on ramp, what was that you were saying" gag.

And then there is the old, "I cant believe she did that, like uh mah god, did you see her wearing white after labor day...and those pants were like, so huge...BAM" into the side of a family of four as a red light gets ran.

Stinger said:
It's not a matter of what is worse, they are distractive enough to be outlawed along with the myriad of other activities you can get a ticket for.

Here, I'll help you stay focused. The poll question was:

[SIZE="4]View Poll Results: Should hand-held cell phone use be banned while driving? "[/SIZE]

Now, it's nice that you all get excited about yakking on the phone, but most of the laws being passed are those limited to hand-held use only. And, no, most people can't get ticketed for talking to their passengers, playing with the radio, or eating. Only for the fourth most common distraction is there any specific law regulating solely that behavior, or any movement to expand the geographical coverage of such laws. And only then it's not the talking, it's the holding.

Back
Top Bottom