• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should hand-held cell phone use be banned while driving?

Should hand-held cell phone use be banned while driving?

• Yes

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
the "hands" issue isn't relevant to cell phone use while driving.

That appears to be what the studies are showing at least that "hands-free" doesn't get rid of the danger totally.

A woman in Los Angeles county swerved arcoss a county road, colliding with another car and killing herself and a person in the other car. Cell phones where not involved, but only one of her eyes had mascarra applied, and there was a mascara kit open in her car.

What she was doing is illegal, careless driving.

I saw a woman hit a parked car because she was reading some document while in motion.

Again illegal.

I've seen men shaving, eating, reading the paper,

Again illegal.

The issue isn't cell phones, it's distraction in general.

Actually it is, recent studies have shown that talking on a cell phone is particularly dangerous as people tend to "zone" out. It is not comparable to talking with a passenger where the passenger is somewhat of a co-pilot and helps to watch for danger or keeps the driver concentrated (yes there are exceptions but for the most part two people talking in the car stay focused)

I have been a traveling salesman for over 30 years. I seen roads get safer, I've seen cars get safer. I will guaranty you that 8 out of 10 situations I get into are caused by the other driver talking on a cell phone. Sometimes they don't even know they created a situation.

Try this, for the next week everytime you stop at a red light look around and see what percentage of drivers are talking on their cell phones. I hate to do it mainly because invaribly I'm going to have to write something down or look up something. I'd rather they leave a voice mail and I'll call back when I can stop.

The cell phone issue is popular because it's got emotional heritage from a few years back when cell phones were pricier and only the show off yuppy clowns in their expensive cars had them,

That went away a LONG time ago, people could care less, it's a safety issue.

aps said:
Deegan, I hear you, my friend. People want to talk on their cell phones no matter where they are. I walked into the ladies room a couple of weeks ago and a woman was in one of the stalls talking on the phone. I had to look at her feet to see if maybe she was standing in the stall. NOPE. She was sitting, and it must have been on the toilet. WTF? I take the subway to and from work. People want to yell into their cell phones. I walk to get my haircut after work, everyone is on a cell phone. My mother will answer her cell phone no matter where she is. It annoys the crap out of me.

Ahhh, I feel better now. I hardly use my cell phone.

Next time you're being bother by someone, take out a pen and a piece of paper and start taking notes. It's hilarious.

Stinger said:
That went away a LONG time ago, people could care less,
it's a safety issue.

No it didn't. If it did, explain why cell phone use by the driver is considered as an isolated class of distraction from the other examples I listed.

Statistically cell phones may play a role in more accidents today because...?

...because there's so many of them. I mean, at least half the population doesn't use mascara at all, so there's naturally going to be even fewer accidents caused by in-motion mascara applicators. This doesn't make cell phones a seperate, special hazard.

No, tickets and bans involving cell phones and drivers are merely nothing but yet another revenue generating scam by money greedy political hacks.

You: The cell phone issue is popular because it's got emotional heritage from a few years back when cell phones were pricier and only the show off yuppy clowns in their expensive cars had them,

ME: That went away a LONG time ago, people could care less, it's a safety issue.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
No it didn't. If it did, explain why cell phone use by the driver is considered as an isolated class of distraction from the other examples I listed.

Yes it did, if you are still jealous because some have cell phones you are in a distinct minority.

Because they are more distracting, people zone out while talking and don't pay attention to what they are doing.

...because there's so many of them. I mean, at least half the population doesn't use mascara at all, so there's naturally going to be even fewer accidents caused by in-motion mascara applicators. This doesn't make cell phones a seperate, special hazard.

You make no sense, because most people don't use mascara cell phones are not dangerous? That's the logic you present.

The studies are quite clear, use of cell phones while driving is a hazard and particular hazard

No, tickets and bans involving cell phones and drivers are merely nothing but yet another revenue generating scam by money greedy political hacks.

No they are to protect me from stupid people who talk rather than drive when they are going 80mph behind the wheel of a 3200lb vehicle.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:

Of course the issue is the distraction, and not the form of it. The fact remains that driving while using a cell phone has been shown to be just as dangerous as driving while intoxicated. Do you also think that driving while intoxicated should be legal?

No, they aren't a "separate, special hazard" apart from all other forms of distraction, but that doesn't mean they should be legal. They are the most common distraction.

My state just passed a law last year banning cell phone use while driving unless it is an emergency and/or the driver is using a hands-free device. While it is extremely hard to enforce laws such as this, I think they're excellent. There are enough morons on the roads these days without adding that sort of distraction. I rarely answer my phone when I'm in the car; I usually only do it if I'm driving to my mom's and she's calling to tell me about weather conditions or an accident that I might encounter. And the only people I would call while on the road are programmed into my speed dial numbers, so I have to push two whole buttons that I don't even have to look at to know where they are, and that's as involved as my hands get! I love my hands free device and often use it right here at home as well.

One thing that might a) make more people aware, and b) get more people to use the devices, would be if cell phone companies would package hands free devices WITH new cell phones, instead of only offering them as an extra accessory. If folks didn't have to buy them, at least initially, I think more people would be willing to use them.

Haha, maybe the insurance companies could offer discounts to drivers with hands free devices as well. :2razz:

Stinger said:
ME: That went away a LONG time ago, people could care less, it's a safety issue.

Yes it did, if you are still jealous because some have cell phones you are in a distinct minority.

Because they are more distracting, people zone out while talking and don't pay attention to what they are doing.

You make no sense, because most people don't use mascara cell phones are not dangerous? That's the logic you present.

The studies are quite clear, use of cell phones while driving is a hazard and particular hazard

No they are to protect me from stupid people who talk rather than drive when they are going 80mph behind the wheel of a 3200lb vehicle.

I make plenty of sense. There's only difference, safety-wise between applying mascara over yakking on the phone is that it's impossible to look at the road while putting on mascara, unless the intent is to look like Rikki Racoon.

Cell phones aren't a "particular" hazard, they're only one of many, but there's so many of them out there now that it became profitable for cities and states to issue specific laws against their use by drivers. That's the only reason.

I think they should pass a law forbidding single occupant vehicles from using the drive thru windows at fast food restaurants. That's merely encouraging people to drive while distracted. If nothing else, any accident caused in which the driver of one of the vehicles is a sole occupant and he has a Big Mac on his breath should make MacDonald's equally liable in the civil action.

Want to know the correct way to get telephones out of driver's hands? The states pass laws to this effect:

No insurer shall be required to pay any damages for any accident in which the driver of any vehicle involved was engaged in a cell telephone converstation. That driver will be liable for all damages incurred by all parties.

Want to know what such a law would never be passed? States and cities wouldn't make any money off it. That's the only reason.

Stace said:
One thing that might a) make more people aware, and b) get more people to use the devices, would be if cell phone companies would package hands free devices WITH new cell phones, instead of only offering them as an extra accessory. If folks didn't have to buy them, at least initially, I think more people would be willing to use them.

It's not the hands. A teenager can still roll her eyes at her mother whose on the telephone telling her to drive carefully, same as if the old lady was in the back seat.

Some from the Amubulance Chasers:

The National Highway Safety Traffic Administration reports that most drivers engage in activities that take their attention away from the road. These activities include:

Talking with other passengers: 81%
Playing with the radio or CD: 66%
Eating or drinking: 49%
Using a cell phone: 25%

So. If the driver talking with passengers is the A-number One cause of distraction, why haven't they passed laws forbidding it...if the goal of these laws is indeed vehicular safety?

Why are cars allowed to have radios and CD systems?

And this country's too fat anyway, they should ban eating in the car.

Only cell phones, far far down the list, seem to be the special target of this legislation.

Why is that?

jsut bring in two decent bits of legislation. Dangerous driving due to distrcation and cell phones

anyway you americans use the car too much anyway

aps said:
Washington, DC, has a law against talking on a hand-held cell phone while driving. You can talk on a hands-free cell phone, though. What do you all think? In one year, they ticketed over 6,000 people.

I fully support this. I cannot drive my car without seeing someone within 10 minutes on a cell phone and not paying attention. I can't stand people's obsessions with cell phones. May its use never be allowed during a plane ride!

I agree. My son is an EMt, and he has cleaned up after several accidents caused by drivers distracted by cell phones. I have watched as people just drift into my lane, and when I get a chance to see them 9 our of 10 times they are talking on a cell phone. One lady was gesticulating and waving her arms around and taking her hand of the steering wheel. I always have a cell phone with me but in my car, I shut it off so nobody can call me.
To dam dangereous. I always keep a headset in my car in case I want to call, and I always pull over to start a call.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
I make plenty of sense. There's only difference, safety-wise between applying mascara over yakking on the phone is that it's impossible to look at the road while putting on mascara, unless the intent is to look like Rikki Racoon.

Both are dangerous and putting on mascara while driving is illegal already, what is your point?

Cell phones aren't a "particular" hazard,

Yes they are.

I think they should pass a law forbidding single occupant vehicles from using the drive thru windows at fast food restaurants. That's merely encouraging people to drive while distracted.

If you can present evidence as has been done with cell phones then present your case, else you statement is specious.

Want to know what such a law would never be passed? States and cities wouldn't make any money off it. That's the only reason.

So do you think seatbelt laws are also a part of this government conspiricy? There reason there are moves to outlaw talking on cell phones while driving is because people like me, who make a living out there on the highways and byways, are sick of almost having fools talking on them run into us.

Stinger said:
Next time you're being bother by someone, take out a pen and a piece of paper and start taking notes. It's hilarious.

OMG, Stinger, what a great idea! I can't believe I haven't thought of that before. I have sat there and stared at the person like I was a part of the conversation. LOL

One time, this woman was talking about some inheritance that she was getting. I wondered if she was really that dumb talking about that on a public train.

aps said:
OMG, Stinger, what a great idea! I can't believe I haven't thought of that before. I have sat there and stared at the person like I was a part of the conversation. LOL

One time, this woman was talking about some inheritance that she was getting. I wondered if she was really that dumb talking about that on a public train.

You know, there are actually these little cards you can print out and then fill out when people on cell phones are annoying you....I actually saw them on the news a couple of months ago, it's hilarious. Let me see if I can find the website again.....

Ahh, here it is. There's an option to download in the middle column. It's a PDF file....

http://www.coudal.com/shhh.php

Stinger said:
Both are dangerous and putting on mascara while driving is illegal already, what is your point?

Yes they are.

If you can present evidence as has been done with cell phones then present your case, else you statement is specious.

So do you think seatbelt laws are also a part of this government conspiricy? There reason there are moves to outlaw talking on cell phones while driving is because people like me, who make a living out there on the highways and byways, are sick of almost having fools talking on them run into us.

Missed the point, eh? Then you responded to the point by claiming it isn't the point, and now you're calling up a conspiracy.

If you don't like your job, this is America. Quit.

You clearly didn't understand what I said, which is that cell phone use is not the most distracting element of driving. I posted some numbers to show this. You decided to ignore them because you have a preconception that the numbers refute, and heaven knows that you're preconceptions must be far more accurate than any objective statistics.

Again: if the goal is less distraction in the car, there are three items of higher incidence to address first, the least of which is twice as common as cell telephone use. So why pick on the telephones?

This is a rational question derived from objective data. Given the above data, what are your real motivations for your continued obsession with telephones?

Stace said:
You know, there are actually these little cards you can print out and then fill out when people on cell phones are annoying you....I actually saw them on the news a couple of months ago, it's hilarious. Let me see if I can find the website again.....

Ahh, here it is. There's an option to download in the middle column. It's a PDF file....

http://www.coudal.com/shhh.php

Yes, definitely. Every driver should have a set of these cards so they can flip through them, looking for the best one, while navigating traffic and keeping that pesky phone user in sight so he can enjoy the delivery of that special pre-written message. Does that book have a flip-card for people using flip-cards while driving?

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Yes, definitely. Every driver should have a set of these cards so they can flip through them, looking for the best one, while navigating traffic and keeping that pesky phone user in sight so he can enjoy the delivery of that special pre-written message. Does that book have a flip-card for people using flip-cards while driving?

Oh good grief.....you can't honestly think that I meant people should use these while driving. :doh

In the post I responded to, aps was talking about a woman that was on her cell phone on the train. Common sense would tell you that I was referring to situations like that.

People that drive and use hand held phones scare the hell out of me......I have witnessed several accidents because of that.............

You guys know why women put on their make-up in traffic?

Because they ain't got any balls to scratch!

Stace said:
Oh good grief.....you can't honestly think that I meant people should use these while driving. :doh

But I can assure you that's who'd be using them. At least sometimes. :2razz:

Besides, I suspect that more people will be shot as a result of those cards...

Well I will share this with you.........

One week ago, my husband and I were watching television and we got a call from a major hospital downtown in our city. They informed us that our 20 year old son had been in an automobile accident on a major highway near our home, that he had been life-flighted to the hospital. My life stopped literally. They wouldn't tell us if he was alive or dead, so for one hour we did not know. The car ride took 45 minutes and it was pure hell. When we got to the hospital they took us into a room and told us someone would be in to talk to us. I fainted and don't remember anything until I came to and my daughter who was crying hysterically was screaming that he was OK, he was alive.

Let me tell you, it took 20 years off of my life..........no 40 years.

He was coming home after hockey practice, an accident had happened up ahead a mile and the traffic stopped abruptly..........he bent down to answer his cell phone (we had been calling him to see if he was on his way home for dinner) and he did not stop.......he hit a truck ahead of him and half his car went underneath it. He was going 65 miles an hour.

He stayed in the hospital for 2 days with broken ankles and cuts and bruises. He is a miracle.

So don't ask me if cell phones should be allowed in cars. I won't be using mine any longer and neither will he. Of course he wont be driving either for some time........as his car is totaled.

doughgirl said:
Well I will share this with you.........

One week ago, my husband and I were watching television and we got a call from a major hospital downtown in our city. They informed us that our 20 year old son had been in an automobile accident on a major highway near our home, that he had been life-flighted to the hospital. My life stopped literally. They wouldn't tell us if he was alive or dead, so for one hour we did not know. The car ride took 45 minutes and it was pure hell. When we got to the hospital they took us into a room and told us someone would be in to talk to us. I fainted and don't remember anything until I came to and my daughter who was crying hysterically was screaming that he was OK, he was alive.

Let me tell you, it took 20 years off of my life..........no 40 years.

He was coming home after hockey practice, an accident had happened up ahead a mile and the traffic stopped abruptly..........he bent down to answer his cell phone (we had been calling him to see if he was on his way home for dinner) and he did not stop.......he hit a truck ahead of him and half his car went underneath it. He was going 65 miles an hour.

He stayed in the hospital for 2 days with broken ankles and cuts and bruises. He is a miracle.

So don't ask me if cell phones should be allowed in cars. I won't be using mine any longer and neither will he. Of course he wont be driving either for some time........as his car is totaled.

Why? It wasn't the cell phone that caused the accident, it was your son's negligence. So why should other people be penalized because other people, including your son, don't have the sense of responsibility it requires to drive an automobile safely?

He suffered minor injuries for one reason. He hit a truck, not another car. Miracles got nothing to do with it. He was down on the deck neglecting his duty, and because he didn't hit bumper-to-bumper, his car didn't decelerate at a high gee nor did it crumple, thus avoiding the sudden impact followed by the accordioning of your normal car wreck. The shearing action that wedged the kid's car under the truck reduced the rate of deceleration to a tolerable level and the vehicle was stopped by drag forces not impact forces, and significant amounts of kinetic energy were turned into the strain energy that crushed the car.

Brakes, however, applied by a driver watching the road, perform a more effective stop without significant structural damage. That's what they're designed for.

I am, of course, assuming that the "truck" was either an 18-wheeler rig or some other high and sizeable commercial vehicle, and not my trusty old S10 pickup. That, and the SUV's on the road, are nothing more than oversize cars.

My step daughter hit a telephone pole with her friend's car (her friend didn't have a license) because her cell phone rang. I didn't attribute the fact that no one was seriously hurt to anything except low speed and dumb luck. No miracles. I didn't blame the phone, I didn't blame the telephone pole or the company that put it there, I didn't even blame the other girl's father who told me the car had wobbly steering. I blamed the driver, 100%. So did she.

Last edited:
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Why? It wasn't the cell phone that caused the accident, it was your son's negligence. So why should other people be penalized because other people, including your son, don't have the sense of responsibility it requires to drive an automobile safely?

So by that same logic, do you think it should be legal to drive while intoxicated?

ALL uses of the cell phone in the public places should be banned unless otherwise stated:

1. They can talk to others in the SMOKERS designated areas so they can get lung cancer with their brain cancer, for holding a radio transmitter up to their head. Besides hearing others conversations is just as bad as second hand smoke.

2. They can only use it in emergency situations when help is badly needed.

3. They can only use it to tell relatives that they are safe.

4. Cell Phone scramblers should be used in places where cell phones are banned.

Please feel free to add some of your own!

Back
Top Bottom