• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should First Ladies Be Fashion Plates?

TheParser

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
1. I greatly admire our First Lady.

a. She is beautiful.
b. She is gracious.
c. She avoids all controversies.

2. I was concerned, however, when I saw all the coverage of how she dressed in many different exquisite and expensive dresses when she accompanied the President in France.

3. I know that many Americans (including me) applaud her for looking so nice and for showing off the work of American designers.

4. But I found it a bit distasteful for her to be such a fashion plate at a time that so many Americans are living economically challenged lives.

I think everyone should be able to dress as they want to dress.

Everyone is talking about the "red dress"....

190828-Melania-tease_hly1vx

That's Trudeau she's flirting with.

melania-trump-g7-justin-trudeau-donald-news-kiss-pictures

Last edited:
First Ladies--and duchesses and queens--can't escape the constant criticism of how they look and what they wear.

First Ladies--and duchesses and queens--can't escape the constant criticism of how they look and what they wear.

Very true. Although I can't help but respect someone like Kate Middleton, who is known to recycle outfits and *gasp* wear the same thing more than once.

You can't help notice that Justin Trudeau and Melania Trump look like a young couple in love. And Donald Trump and Brigitte Macron look like that old couple you always see in the restaurant complaining about their food.

Last edited:

One only has to look at how righties treated Michelle Obama to see that.

She’s greeting him with a kiss on the cheek.

Does she get a clothing allowance from the Government?

When she tried dressing down to go visit the hurricane people, the media had a stroke about that.

a. She is beautiful.
b. She is gracious.

2. I was concerned, however, when I saw all the coverage of how she dressed in many different exquisite and expensive dresses when she accompanied the President in France.

3. I know that many Americans (including me) applaud her for looking so nice and for showing off the work of American designers.

4. But I found it a bit distasteful for her to be such a fashion plate at a time that so many Americans are living economically challenged lives.

Well, the c) is definitely not true. She has generated a few controversies all by herself. The wearing of the sign 'i don't really care, do you', certainly showed poor taste.

Very true. Although I can't help but respect someone like Kate Middleton, who is known to recycle outfits and *gasp* wear the same thing more than once.

I make a distinction between political bludgeoning over a female's looks and clothing and the fashionista thing. I'm very interested in the Duchess of Cambridge's style, especially her less-is-more. And her ability to wear so many colors well. I keep up with Queen Letizia and Queen Rania, whose choices must be so much more restrained. She's a fashion star, and so beautiful. Sometimes Queen Maxima: The new King and Queen of the Netherlands: Maxima’s royal blue gown. – My Trendy Box

One only has to look at how righties treated Michelle Obama to see that.

Always trying to make something partisan. So predictable.

a. She is beautiful.
b. She is gracious.

Lives have been economically challenged during any given President's tenure. In no way should this stop our First Lady from wearing what she chooses. Melania might be FLOTUS, but she's still a billionaire.
I really don't like this no-true Scotsman type of argument when it comes to what a First Lady wears. It's too expensive. It's too revealing. It's too "ethnic". And let's not forget, THE DRESS HAS NO SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVES!

Let's just leave Melania to being the fashion plate she is. She's stunning.

You can't help notice that Justin Trudeau and Melania Trump look like a young couple in love. And Donald Trump and Brigitte Macron look like that old couple you always see in the restaurant complaining about their food.

OK, that's funny:funny

It's a whole lot more nuanced than that.

Just pointing out the facts. If someone is triggered by that, I can't do anything about that.

Nope just pointing out facts, sorry you are triggered by them.

Such a silly attempt to stir the pot. :roll: Like I'm going to be "triggered" by talking about fashion.

Such a silly attempt to stir the pot. :roll: Like I'm going to be "triggered" by talking about fashion.

Evidently you are since you are focusing on it now. :lamo It's ok, I'm sure if you ask the owner of the site nicely you can find a safe space here if you need it. :lamo

Just pointing out the facts. If someone is triggered by that, I can't do anything about that.

I didn't see any triggering.

Lives have been economically challenged during any given President's tenure. In no way should this stop our First Lady from wearing what she chooses. Melania might be FLOTUS, but she's still a billionaire.
I really don't like this no-true Scotsman type of argument when it comes to what a First Lady wears. It's too expensive. It's too revealing. It's too "ethnic". And let's not forget, THE DRESS HAS NO SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVES!

Let's just leave Melania to being the fashion plate she is. She's stunning.

As long as it's not putting writing on the back, or something like that. Some people should stay away from making political statements.

a. She is beautiful.
b. She is gracious.

You have a right to your opinion.

I didn't see any triggering.

Well, of course not.

Anyway, modern First Ladies do have a fashion impact. Consider "Alice Blue" and "Mamie Pink." Jacqueline Kennedy's French style and Nancy Reagan's red.

Pink for girls (when at the beginning of the 20th century, sex-specific colors became a trend, pink was designated for boys and blue for girls) was largely because of Mrs. Eisenhower. The Duchess of Cambridge has brought back "tights" (pantyhose). Michelle Obama belts and prints and daring to be sleeveless created trends. The current First Lady's stilettos set the mark too.

Back
Top Bottom