• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should fireworks be outlawed?

Show fireworks be outlawed to the public

• Yes, they are dangerous and no reason for them

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Yes, except allowing government fireworks shows

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • No, but not within city limits

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No, but only adult supervised and purchased

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Many localities ban fireworks claiming fire and personal safety reasons. Most don't allow them in city limits. Our city allows them anywhere including within city limits, but only certain times of the year. Your opinion? Multiple choice.

Last edited:
Many localities ban fireworks claiming fire and personal safety reasons. Most don't allow them in city limits. Our city allows them anywhere including within city limits, but only certain times of the year. Your opinion? Multiple choice.

In every scenario there are screw ups, morons, and embeciles. You can't babysit the world. I think almost everything including drugs should be legal. Many laws are just profitable for the groups trying to get the law passed. An example would be private prisons and drug laws. Most of them just need to attend that Anal Bleaching course offered at the School of Hard Knocks where buttholes are lightened up.

I think it should be as it is now, each community decides for itself. Personally speaking I spend much of Fourth of July afternoon wetting down the area because my neighbors are all dumb as dirt where it comes to fire safety.

My city allows fireworks. Fireworks are part of the American Culture when it comes to celebrating major events.

Risk is an unavoidable component of freedom.

No outlawing fireworks. Next thing they'll be taking the pointy scissors away from us...

It certainly seems reasonable to prohibit them in particularly dangerous areas. But as a general rule, of course not.

The only restriction I would put in place is that you have to be 18 to buy any kind that burns or explodes. Other than that, there are already laws covering misuse of them. If you set something on fire or injure someone there are laws for that.

I could understand banning them at certain times in certain areas where there is a really high risk of wildfires starting or something like that.

I do get annoyed by people who set them off until midnight on a weeknight two weeks before the 4th of July, and I wish communities would police that a little more heavily.

The laws concerning fireworks must be made at the state or municipality level.

outlawed within city limits. i've had to put out my neighbor's garage with a garden hose, and flaming bottle rockets end up on my roof. have a designated area to set them off, and limit it to that. people are just too damned irresponsible with them.

Fireworks or Firecrackers?

Somebody tossed something that exploded like a gunshot on my porch 2 days ago. My friend and I jumped out of our seats and the cats ran upstairs.

Fireworks are legal in my city. Firecrackers are not. I agree.

This should be decided at the local and state level. In some places, such as cities and in dry climates, civilians' shooting off fireworks is dangerous. In other places, it's not as bad as long as you're not drunk and you know what you're doing.

Have you noticed how much fireworks cost now?! We have a bunch of people including kids coming over after the public fireworks display in the bay and I doubt you'd even believe how much fireworks for all the kids cost.

While buying them, some mother sat in her car after giving her kid $5 to buy some fireworks. $5 won't buy jackXXXX now, and the little boy was trying to figure anything he could buy at all - plus having to do the math for "half price" (ie 2 for 1 or half price.) Maybe a pack those super cheap sparklers and a tiny pack of firecrackers?

My wife, a sucker for little kids, told him we had gotten more than we need of the piles of stuff we bought, giving him one of those little collective packs that has a little of everything. Not one of those $100 ($200 before 1/2), but one of those that is $20 after the 1/2 of $39.95. Made his day! Not to complain too much of the Mom, though, she was driving a really beat up old car and had a baby in a car seat.

It is fun watching a kid with a $20 try to figure out what he/she can get with it. I mean, for that kid, that's SERIOUS decisions! And probably a good lesson in money too. The 4th of July can be a very special night for a kid - getting to do something unlike anything else.

Few people have the training and experience to handle and store fireworks, setting them off is dangerous, and should be done only by well trained professionals who have insurance to cover any possible damage, injuries, deaths.

If you damage property, or cause injuries, or deaths by illegal misuse of fireworks, you should be required to pay the price

Last edited:
Have you noticed how much fireworks cost now?! We have a bunch of people including kids coming over after the public fireworks display in the bay and I doubt you'd even believe how much fireworks for all the kids cost.

While buying them, some mother sat in her car after giving her kid $5 to buy some fireworks. $5 won't buy jackXXXX now, and the little boy was trying to figure anything he could buy at all - plus having to do the math for "half price" (ie 2 for 1 or half price.) Maybe a pack those super cheap sparklers and a tiny pack of firecrackers?

My wife, a sucker for little kids, told him we had gotten more than we need of the piles of stuff we bought, giving him one of those little collective packs that has a little of everything. Not one of those $100 ($200 before 1/2), but one of those that is $20 after the 1/2 of $39.95. Made his day! Not to complain too much of the Mom, though, she was driving a really beat up old car and had a baby in a car seat.

It is fun watching a kid with a $20 try to figure out what he/she can get with it. I mean, for that kid, that's SERIOUS decisions! And probably a good lesson in money too. The 4th of July can be a very special night for a kid - getting to do something unlike anything else.

It would be really interesting to watch him try to do some first aid on himself and some other kids after those fireworks blew up in their face.

This should be decided at the local and state level. In some places, such as cities and in dry climates, civilians' shooting off fireworks is dangerous. In other places, it's not as bad as long as you're not drunk and you know what you're doing.

Inexperienced people with fireworks is dangerous everywhere.

no need to outlaw them... simple time/place/manner regulations within the municipality is enough.

for instance, I had no problem with my municipality banning their use ( as opposed to banning their possession) last year... we were under a burn ban due to extreme drought conditions.

Despite the hard rain the city set off the fireworks in the bay, but the kids letting of fireworks then themselves was rained out. They were very disappointed. Fortunately, there is no limitation on when to use fireworks, so they can do it tonight instead.

We need a weather forecaster who knows his stuff and how to explain it briefly in a way people can understand. Someone like this guy:

I will say though that while we were setting off our safe and sane fireworks last night, the place was like a warzone, there were *THOUSANDS* of illegal fireworks being shot off all around us. It was really kind of ridiculous.

No, they should be legal for purchase and use. I would support city ordinances that limit how late they can be shot off though.

It would be really interesting to watch him try to do some first aid on himself and some other kids after those fireworks blew up in their face.

It is funny reading Europeans posting that because Europeans apparently seem themselves as incompetent needing protection from themselves then Americans are too. It seems many Euros on this forum believe the fundamental purpose of government to use government power to protect them from themselves.

Unfortunately, increasing number of American politicians pursue turning Americans into serfs too.

Last edited:
I will say though that while we were setting off our safe and sane fireworks last night, the place was like a warzone, there were *THOUSANDS* of illegal fireworks being shot off all around us. It was really kind of ridiculous.

What are "illegal fireworks?" Do they only allow party poppers where you're at?

No, they should be legal for purchase and use. I would support city ordinances that limit how late they can be shot off though.

That does seem reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom