• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should felons own guns?

vauge said:
Should a felon be allowed to own a gun (legally) after paying debt to society?
Yes they should. No matter how anyone feels about people owning guns, they cannot lightly cast aside an individual's right to bear arms.

vauge said:

I think a felon should be allowed to own a gun so long as they were not convicted of certain, high and aggravated felonies. I mean, their are lots of felony laws out their and I view not allowing a convicted felon to own a gun as simply a method to keep guns out of the hands of alot of people who are not necessarily a threat to society. This gun regulation thing is more about the government keeping a grip on people, controlling their lives and taking away real freedom. I believe in the individual right to keep and bear arms. The traditional view was that so long as the people are armed, the people will always rule.

I know we are all trying to think of keeping the world safe by takeing a gun away from someong, however it is not fare to use the removal of a right as punishment. Also it wouldn't help becuase felons dont use legal guns to kill people.

vauge said:
I am against this liberty/right for felons convicted of violent crime. If this view is in error, then at least the err is on the side of society and civility.

I am of the opinion however, that it is people rather than guns that kill. In Israel, almost every adult Israeli has assault rifles and automatic side-arms in their personal repertoire. Nevertheless, violent crime in Israel is very rare.

I am of the opinion however, that it is people rather than guns that kill. In Israel, almost every adult Israeli has assault rifles and automatic side-arms in their personal repertoire. Nevertheless, violent crime in Israel is very rare.

Switzerland too. Not only guns, but artillery pieces, manpads, etc. This is one of the reasons they have been able to remain neutral through so many wars.

During the coldwar, the soviets had a plan to invade and occupy them, ONLY after the rest of the continent was subdued. They had estimated Soviet Force loses in the millions just for Switzerland

Regardless of the legalty of guns, for anyone. Felons or not, if someone wants a gun, the law isn't going to stop them from getting one. So, depending on the felon's crime conviction, yes they should be allowed to bear arms. If not, you're taking their rights away.

Realy if you dont allow felons to own guns your only hendering the rights of those who obey the law. Not those who you would want to take the guns away from.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The one thing gun haters will not answer is why do they want people that are to dangerous to allow to have a gun out of prison.

TJS0110 said:
I know we are all trying to think of keeping the world safe by takeing a gun away from someong, however it is not fare to use the removal of a right as punishment.

You mean like when a legal system removes one's right to freedom as a punishment???? Or like when a legal system deprives you of your money or other property as a punishment.

TJS0110 said:
Also it wouldn't help becuase felons dont use legal guns to kill people.

Actually some do. Prior to congress witholding funding from the ATF, which was used to investigate and reinstate the right to certain felons, a few whose rights were reinstated did exactly that, and over one third went back to prison, mostly for commiting crimes with firearms.

On the otherhand, you are kinda right, but felons could kill people with legal guns if it were made legal for them to buy or possess guns, couldn't they?

C.J. said:
You mean like when a legal system removes one's right to freedom as a punishment???? Or like when a legal system deprives you of your money or other property as a punishment.

When the legal system removes someone's freedom as a punishment it is for a set period of time. In my case for instance it was five months and then my freedom is restored, if the system deprives money or property it is a one time deal. These people aren't deprived of money and property for life. I am being deprived of a constitutional right for LIFE because of a crime that had nothing to do with guns!

Actually some do. Prior to congress witholding funding from the ATF, which was used to investigate and reinstate the right to certain felons, a few whose rights were reinstated did exactly that, and over one third went back to prison, mostly for commiting crimes with firearms.

On the otherhand, you are kinda right, but felons could kill people with legal guns if it were made legal for them to buy or possess guns, couldn't they?
I think the point is that a person who decides to kill another human being will not discriminate between legal and illegal items to committ the act.

Regarding prison. The one thing I have seen on a personal level, is the prison system itself, is one of those institutions that is in dire need of repair.
Whether the system is geared towards punishment or rehab, things need to change. There are are too many who go in as soft criminals, only to come out as hardend sociopaths, due to the enviorments they face while incarcerated.

I'm not saying be soft on crime, but there are things that have to change, or this revolving door policy we have will only lead to more extreme problems down the road.

Valis said:
Regarding prison.
I only mentioned keeping dangerous criminals in prison because gun haters use the lie of keeping guns away from dangerous criminals to push for gun control laws. I feel if a person is to dangerous to be trusted with their rights restored upon release from prison, then why are we releasing such a dangerous person onto the streets of America.

Every American should have the right to bear arms, Until something happens that will result in getting this right revoked. So, i feel that is the individual's responsibility to choose how they want to use then asm long as it is not interfering with individuals around them. If this should happen i feel that it is the gov't's responsibility to provide the ideal punishment.

Valis said:
Regarding prison. The one thing I have seen on a personal level, is the prison system itself, is one of those institutions that is in dire need of repair.
Whether the system is geared towards punishment or rehab, things need to change. There are are too many who go in as soft criminals, only to come out as hardend sociopaths, due to the enviorments they face while incarcerated.

I'm not saying be soft on crime, but there are things that have to change, or this revolving door policy we have will only lead to more extreme problems down the road.

I was raised in St. Joseph, MO in an upper middle class family and neighborhood. My biggest crime until I was thirty was a speeding ticket, I won't go into all the details again but if you're interested go back a few pages and you can get the details. Basically I was sent to Leavenworth for bank fraud. The system is only geared toward punishment and statistics, we imprison so many people in this country that don't need to be it's ridiculous. You are absolutely right for so many people they come out far worse than when they went in. No one wants us to become soft on crime, but we must become smart on crime. I'm educated and skilled and without massive family and community support it would have been very difficult to recover from my experience. Being a felon and having been to prison makes you about a fifth class citizen, you even lose portions of the Constitution. No wonder it's a revolving door, these people do not have a chance. People must take notice, it's only getting worse. Our Federal prison system has grown about 200% in the last twenty years and it's just gaining steam, it will affect us all.

JoshuaR said:
I think the point is that a person who decides to kill another human being will not discriminate between legal and illegal items to committ the act.

I saw the point, which is not a valid argument for the topic, which is why I challenged it.

Back
Top Bottom