• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should felons own guns?

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Should a felon be allowed to own a gun (legally) after paying debt to society?

Yes but with restrictions.

Saying "no" would automatically be taking an amendment right away from an American citizen which, in my opinion, is worse than the felons actions.

Agreed. It woud get into a constitutional question and I don't think it would stand up in court.

Many states say "no", and I personally agree.
A felon gives up his rights when he/she committed the crime. Same goes for voting.

What if they were wrongfully accused? Our courts tend to convict the one's who didn't commit the crime; Mumia for example.

I won't respond to what has been posted, but give the legal angle...

A felon is constitutionally (depends on the state, but it is hard to deny them this right) allowed to own the gun even after they get out of prison. What would make it constitutional is to put restrictions-such as keeping a record of the fact they have a gun, making sure they take a safety class, not allowing them certain types of especially dangereous (in my opinion they are all dangerous) guns, etc. So...

vauge said:
Many states say "no", and I personally agree.
A felon gives up his rights when he/she committed the crime. Same goes for voting.
I'd agree with you that the felon should not be able to own a gun, but I do think they should be able to vote. My logic is simple: a gun is dangerous, put it in a felon's hands, and it's more dangerous. What harm can the right to vote do?

I've known a few felons and in general they aren't people I'd like to see owning a firearm...but, if they want a firearm to commit a crime I don't think the illegality of it is going to stop them.

A gun doesn't protect someone. A bullet proof vest - you can make that case to protect someone. A gun does nothing but hurt people. You pull the trigger. A bullet comes out. That bullet is meant to harm and in most cases kill.

Felons should not be allowed to have these. I don't really think we should have these.

Maybe a handgun if your application is accepted to some sort of regulating agency. But assault rifles and shot guns... no one needs those to protect themselves.

Gandhi>Bush said:
Maybe a handgun if your application is accepted to some sort of regulating agency. But assault rifles and shot guns... no one needs those to protect themselves.
Without limiting it to just self defense - what about hunting as a sport or for food?

I don't think there's a real necessity in this country to hunt your own food. And as for sport: I don't support the killing of bambi's mother.

I don't think the owning of a hunting rifle is necessary. Since I don't think hunting will cease, I wouldn't mind seeing Hunting ranges leasing hunting rifles.

I don't think there's a real necessity in this country to hunt your own food. And as for sport: I don't support the killing of bambi's mother.

In your perception is a rod&reel just as dangerous to the animal kingdom as a gun?

That's actually an interesting point.

But until disney makes a movie about salmon, which they won't, because Walt Disney is dead (in case you haven't heard), I don't care for fish.

I don't eat fish. They taste bad. I don't go fishing. It's boring.

I don't have near as much problem with hunting as I do with guns. So if you can devise some way to kill a deer with a rod & reel. Be my guest. I'd like to see that on tape if you don't mind.

Gandhi>Bush said:
That's actually an interesting point.

But until disney makes a movie about salmon, which they won't, because Walt Disney is dead (in case you haven't heard), I don't care for fish.

I don't eat fish. They taste bad. I don't go fishing. It's boring.

I don't have near as much problem with hunting as I do with guns. So if you can devise some way to kill a deer with a rod & reel. Be my guest. I'd like to see that on tape if you don't mind.
LOL. :)

There is bow hunting as well. So again it comes to mind, which is worse killing bambi's mom with a gun or a bow? Should felons be allowed to own a bow? There are many folks that hunt bambi for food - some of which are friends I know. I personally do not, but dear chilli is hard to beat.

One of our mod's on this board does this, I believe. I betcha he will chime in shortly. He lives in a very rural area and actually hunts for his food. (It's still early and havn't had my Dr. Pepper yet, so I might be off.)

I tell you what:

I will concede the bow. Felons can own bows.

That means that if they can rob a bank with a bow and arrow, they are skilled and deserve to own that bow and arrow. By the way this is also something i'd like to see on tape.

The only thing good about homemade deer chili is 9 times out of 10 you can be sure there's not a human finger in it. Am I right?

Plain and simple answer to the OP. Martha Stewart should not own guns
living.jpg

vauge said:
? Should felons be allowed to own a bow? early and havn't had

Don't forget, Walt Disney was a racist.

I think it would be funny if instead of guns all the felons have bows. I'd love to see a gang shoot out then..it'll look more like a nerf cross bow fight.

Am I correct that Gandhi>Bush does not recognize hunting as a conservation tool, a valid exercise in animal management.

In many areas of the country the deer population for instance, exceeds 100 per sq mile, while great habitat will only support a density of 15-20. This causes "mother nature" to naturally thin herds by starvation and disease. It also increases human exposure to diseases common to both deer and humans as well as increasing the risk of accidents involving both.

As to the original topic, some states have restored firearms rights to certain non-violent felons, even though it runs afoul of federal law. In 2002 the SCOTUS ruled that felons must go through a federal agency and then if necessary they can petition the courts to reinstate their firearms rights. Most felons convicted of violent offences are not considered worthy.

There's a strong difference between "mother nature" taking care of population than a gang of people in camoflage who just want to kill something.

I'd have to do some serious googling to refute the whole deer/human disease argument. :lol:

I don't have a problem with nonviolent felons owning guns, but I really don't have a problem knowing that martha stewart or those douche bags from enron will never own a gun.

there is also a strong difference between hunters and gangs of people in camoflage who just want to kill something. I detest the latter, but don't confuse them with the true sportsmen.

Living in a deer overpopulated area and after having had lyme disease I can vouch for one of the diseases you will find in your google search.

Personally I have no problem with any convicted felon, violent or non-violent forfeiting all firearms rights forever.

Do hunters and other "true sportsmen" not want to kill the animal? I thought that's what hunting was. Generally people hunt because they either want the fun of shooting a deer or the fun of eating deer chili that is in turn the product of shooting a deer. I've never heard of anyone going hunting because of their duty over mother nature to control the growing population of deer.

Gandhi>Bush said:
I've never heard of anyone going hunting because of their duty over mother nature to control the growing population of deer.
I haven't either, but I have heard of State DNRs asking for helping in controlling the population:
Keith Warnke, DNR big game ecologist. “We have taken a very positive step in reducing populations toward the management goal but we need hunters’ continued support and participation paired with an aggressive harvest of antlerless deer this fall to maintain the progress.”

Wisconsin, where the above link is from, also has a program that's sponsored by the state DNR. Hunt for the Hungry which since the fall hunting season of 2000, hunters have donated over 24,000 deer which have provided over one million pounds of ground venison to needy families.

Back
Top Bottom