• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should ex felons have the right to vote?

Should ex-felons have the right to vote?

• yes

Votes: 50 84.7%
  • no

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • not sure

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters
What exactly is an "ex-felon?"

Just my opinion, but once a felon always a felon.

Yes, they should be allowed to vote. Where does it say in the Constitution they can't? Even when incarcerated?

Amendment 14, § 2:

But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

In a similar vein I don't think it's right for the government to require the forfeiture of a right in order to obtain a privilege. Requiring the forfeiture of 4th/5th Amendment rights to get a driver's license, for example.

I am not disagreeing but could explain that?

BS , and you know it . Never met a liberal that wasn't a gun control freak , so cut the BS ! [emoji38]
I know people on the left who are very adament about protecting 2nd amendment rights.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yes. Criminals who have served their time should be afforded all the rights every other citizen are entitled to lest our entire corrections system is a sham. The only caveat I have in this regard are felons who use a firearm in a criminal act should face additional scrutiny and face additional hurdles if they should decide they want to exercise their 2nd Amendment right. Essentially all the unreasonable "reasonable" gun laws that Dems seek to impose on law-abiding, keep their nose out of trouble citizens and then a little more.

A huge reason for repeat offenders is the "one and done" you F up and it's all over for you policies and mentality that we have in this country.

How is anyone ever supposed to be rehabilitated if they are constantly reminded and penalized for their crimes for life despite having fulfilled their sentences?

Implementation of this needs to be non-partisan and enacted in a non-election year.

I know people on the left who are very adament about protecting 2nd amendment rights.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

And what about YOU , should all convicted felon be allowed to have guns ?

I don't know, let them vote to decide.

;)

Yeah, but for rights (rather than license) I think it's the State that must make its case for continued force. This is due to my personal opinion that upon completion of punishment, rights should automatically be recognized again.

If it did work like you suggested then we could also get rid of background checks, personally I feel if you can't trust them to return to society with all rights of a citizen then they shouldn't be released in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom