• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should Evolution Be Taught In Schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technocratic_Utilitarian said:
My problem is thus: with all the good things about it, how do you stop it from moving behind the paradox of the pulpit? Do you not see what it is doing to today's society? How do you prevent that?

Well this is easy. You control the priesthood. First of all, make requirement into the priesthood as stringent as graduate school. Require a secular undergraduate degree before consideration for the seminary. In addition, tie the priesthood directly to the political body. Increase the role of the priesthood from "lobbyists" to actual representation. In this way, the political body has a measure of balance against the priesthood secularly and the priesthood exerts a small influence over the political body. However, like any political machine, the two should struggle for control and through this struggle, force a reason in eachother that you dont find when a religion runs amuck or a government body loses morality. Further, the implications are boundless when you consider the mechanics of how authority will play out.

jallman said:
Well this is easy. You control the priesthood. First of all, make requirement into the priesthood as stringent as graduate school. Require a secular undergraduate degree before consideration for the seminary. In addition, tie the priesthood directly to the political body. Increase the role of the priesthood from "lobbyists" to actual representation. In this way, the political body has a measure of balance against the priesthood secularly and the priesthood exerts a small influence over the political body. However, like any political machine, the two should struggle for control and through this struggle, force a reason in eachother that you dont find when a religion runs amuck or a government body loses morality. Further, the implications are boundless when you consider the mechanics of how authority will play out.

Well, there are actually are already stringent requirements to become a Catholic Priest. You have to have a graduate degree in theology and you have to go through an extensive background check and take a rigorous psychological evaluation. But what exactly do you mean by tie the priesthood directly to the government? I think a lot of people would see that as a violation of the separation of church and state.

George_Washington said:
Well, there are actually are already stringent requirements to become a Catholic Priest. You have to have a graduate degree in theology and you have to go through an extensive background check and take a rigorous psychological evaluation. But what exactly do you mean by tie the priesthood directly to the government? I think a lot of people would see that as a violation of the separation of church and state.

Oh well certainly not in our government. This is all hypothetical...although it has been done before in other systems. However, this is simply an exercise in perfecting the utility of the religion in a society. I am not hypothesizing about a theocracy...but perhaps a state endorsed religion that is represented in the senatorial body of our hypothetic system.

One problem is that even generally intelligent people easily have their "brains" turned off when it comes to religion because, as you alluded to earlier, people need religion as a crutch (many do). You can be intelligent and do stupid things when it comes to faith.

I would not want to have them having power or representation in the government as an actual entity representing religious issues. I think, if that's what you are saying (or I could be misinterpreting it), would be a very bad idea. Allowing them into government I don't see accomplishing much, because they aren't supposed to argue or legislate religion anyway. Much of the problem comes from people trying to change that. I don't want things like, say, the Kansas or Dover incidents to continue. Giving them representation will only make them think they have more power than they already do, I think.

One problem is that the masses of uneducated people do influence their representives, who are pledged to their constituencies, so they pander to them. This is why we had a big hooha over the Terry Schivo case; this is why "evolution" is being debated in court, regardless of the fact that ID was smashed in court many, many years ago. I don't even know why it's in court--legality should not dictate science. Our nation is so far behind other third world nations in science...why do you think this is? Is it a coincidence that, among these nations, we are one of the most religious at least secularized? I find it disgraceful that Korea has superior advances and technology when it comes to cloning, embryonic development, and stem-cell research.

The good news, I think, is that the number of Fundamentalists has started to drop. People are becomming less christian, statistically. Perhaps this is a favourable trend, as it is a trend that the more secularized the ethics and society becomes, the more progress occures.

One problem is that even generally intelligent people easily have their "brains" turned off when it comes to religion because, as you alluded to earlier, people need religion as a crutch (many do). You can be intelligent and do stupid things when it comes to faith.

True, but its hard to act on those stupid notions when you have to have the approval of the secular senate...meaning their vote can stop you. The first line of defense against the ills of religion is the inherent intelligence and secular academics prior to priesthood. The second is the political body and the need for mutual assistance and consent. The final line of defense is dangling the path to power right in front of the priesthood and keep their attentions rapt there instead of dreaming iniquity against others. If the priesthood were even a sure path to the upperclass upon completion of service to the state through religious work, then I am sure the priests would be quite occuppied with serving the state and its people.

I am thinking this is how it would have to be...the priest are part of the academic elite, so they are always going to question and develop a cynicism. Instead of enticing them to weild their power and abuse it...offer them something they want upon completion....the comfortable life with recognition and elevation...but because they know better than to take an empty promise from a dusty book...make sure it is known that their reward is in this life waiting. It is their concern how they convince the lower masses that theirs is in the afterlife.

I would not want to have them having power or representation in the government as an actual entity representing religious issues. I think, if that's what you are saying (or I could be misinterpreting it), would be a very bad idea. Allowing them into government I don't see accomplishing much, because they aren't supposed to argue or legislate religion anyway. Much of the problem comes from people trying to change that. I don't want things like, say, the Kansas or Dover incidents to continue. Giving them representation will only make them think they have more power than they already do, I think.

Of course they are going to think they have power, they have a presence in the senate. Mind you, they are barely an entity...certainly not enough to sway any vote by themselves. But, they get to make contribution and give input and offer advice. BUT, the same happens reverse too...the secular senate gets to exert influence over the clergy...sometimes toning down their zeal in favor of ration....and at other times openly using them to give a divine influence/inspiration/authority to legislation or even executive directives. In lesser circumstance, they can be persuaded to tweak church doctrine or dogma...useful to make some legislation and decisions more palatable to the irrational masses.

One problem is that the masses of uneducated people do influence their representives, who are pledged to their constituencies, so they pander to them. This is why we had a big hooha over the Terry Schivo case; this is why "evolution" is being debated in court, regardless of the fact that ID was smashed in court many, many years ago. I don't even know why it's in court--legality should not dictate science. Our nation is so far behind other third world nations in science...why do you think this is? Is it a coincidence that, among these nations, we are one of the most religious at least secularized? I find it disgraceful that Korea has superior advances and technology when it comes to cloning, embryonic development, and stem-cell research.

Well see, let the politicians deal with their constituencies. But also let the priests through the "inspired sermon", influenced by church doctrine, which was in turn influenced by the ruling politique, will herd the flocks toward the "right" moral choices in politics. The priesthood has no reason to rebel against the political body...they are influential, and are well rewarded and highly paid officers of the state. Meanwhile, the political body can achieve their goals technologically with the priests comforting the moral needs of the irrational masses.

The good news, I think, is that the number of Fundamentalists has started to drop. People are becomming less christian, statistically. Perhaps this is a favourable trend, as it is a trend that the more secularized the ethics and society becomes, the more progress occures.

I think now I see why you got so offended at my tripe about the atheist. I was not personally attacking you as an athiest...I was pointing out the short sightedness of the atheist when he ill-considers the utility religion can serve a society...if reigned in properly and brought in congruence with the political climate. The ideals of a religion can become greater than we...even if the myth is not true. It can be great enough to make the upper eschelons of society's life much easier and the administration of a culture almost too simple. However, it just needs strong defenses against allowing it to become extreme in doctrine.

I am going to take it a step further...and I know sissy is already boiling over and a few others may squeal like a fat kid who gets no cake. I think the problem we have with extreme christianity is the fact that we didnt let something more secular and academic within the government keep it in check from the beginning. We turned religion loose on our country with no tetherings to the government...and thus, eliminating any good influence the government has on the church...even to guide it or curb undesirable or extreme teachings. Consider the split between baptists over slavery. Southern baptists believed in it, all the others didnt. I think if a state influence could have been exerted and a doctrine eliminating slavery could be pushed subtly through the congregations via priests at least endorsed by the state, we might have avoided civil war. For the benefit of all, for a moment in time, through the manipulation of faith, then human rights might have taken more importance than states rights and economics. Just think of the progress that can be made when the state has a built in tool to give moral justifications and foundations to its legislation and executive directives.

Last edited:
jallman said:
True, but its hard to act on those stupid notions when you have to have the approval of the secular senate...meaning their vote can stop you. The first line of defense against the ills of religion is the inherent intelligence and secular academics prior to priesthood. The second is the political body and the need for mutual assistance and consent. The final line of defense is dangling the path to power right in front of the priesthood and keep their attentions rapt there instead of dreaming iniquity against others. If the priesthood were even a sure path to the upperclass upon completion of service to the state through religious work, then I am sure the priests would be quite occuppied with serving the state and its people.

The senate is not secular. Both the beliefs of senators and those of thier constituents stops it from being so.

As to the earlier comments about church building and such being an economic payoff from religion, the money other countries will make off of medicines, procedures, etc. developed from things like stem cell research will vastly dwarf these.

gwynn said:
The senate is not secular. Both the beliefs of senators and those of thier constituents stops it from being so.

As to the earlier comments about church building and such being an economic payoff from religion, the money other countries will make off of medicines, procedures, etc. developed from things like stem cell research will vastly dwarf these.

Not if the senate convinces the educated priesthood to promote and propagandize through sermon the intrinsic divine qualities that such a blessing of technology must be. The church, as a tool, can always help to sway the balance. How many people are pro life only because the catholic church says that as doctrine? How many people are against the death penalty solely on the basis of spiritual conviction. And look at gay marriage...the prime argument against it is often religious and not legally based. How convenient if the church lent moral credence to the wills of the academic elites? It shouldnt be hard to convince them when you set them up to be academics from the start...requiring secular education first and then training them as a graduate student in the rites and doctrines of the church, and always supported and endorsed by the state. I would even say that the state have a hand in picking the future priests...probably through something subtle like scholarship awards for those that want to pursue the priesthood. Always dangling the reward of total comfort and respect in exchange for serving the state "through the Divine".

jallman said:
This conversation is far above you, petal. Let the big kids have their discussion and then we can get back to you later. Now here, put your helmet on so you dont bump into anything. If you play nice, we'll get you something soft you can eat with your rubber spoon.

HAHA!!

You demonstrate your intolerance and hatred with every post you write. The reason that you hate me is because you KNOW that I have PEGGED you to a 'T'!! Due to your own inadequencies you're unable to speak rationally and even answer the questions that I've posed to you because you simply have no answer for your hypocrisy.

I honestly do not believe you're gay. I don't think a gay person could possibly be as intolerant as you nor would a gay person not question such a hypocritical pose.

For CHRISSAKES, GROW UP!

jallman said:
Not if the senate convinces the educated priesthood to promote and propagandize through sermon the intrinsic divine qualities that such a blessing of technology must be. The church, as a tool, can always help to sway the balance. How many people are pro life only because the catholic church says that as doctrine? How many people are against the death penalty solely on the basis of spiritual conviction. And look at gay marriage...the prime argument against it is often religious and not legally based. How convenient if the church lent moral credence to the wills of the academic elites? It shouldnt be hard to convince them when you set them up to be academics from the start...requiring secular education first and then training them as a graduate student in the rites and doctrines of the church, and always supported and endorsed by the state. I would even say that the state have a hand in picking the future priests...probably through something subtle like scholarship awards for those that want to pursue the priesthood. Always dangling the reward of total comfort and respect in exchange for serving the state "through the Divine".

Yeah, BRILLIANT idea. Then we can just wash away the separation of church and state ALTOGETHER! No WONDER you you're so intolerant! You ARE an evangelical fundamentalist!!

sissy-boy said:

Yeah, BRILLIANT idea. Then we can just wash away the separation of church and state ALTOGETHER! No WONDER you you're so intolerant! You ARE an evangelical fundamentalist!!

had you read the posts above, you would have seen that this is purely a hypothetical exercise. It was started under the premise that separation of church and state was not a constraint. Please, before you rant and jizz over your next insult, read the whole thread...where it has come from and how it got here.

George_Washington said:
This is a good point because so much Western art work has been created on a Christian basis and has to do with Christian deities/saints.

The 'western art' that you speak of will never be studied in art history classes. It is referred to as 'Folk Art'. Most all modern art that uses Christian type imagery is also 'Folk Art'.

This whole idea of an, "educated elite" being anti-Christian is really a bunch of rubbish. Many highly educated and successful people are Christian or at least have a tolerance for it.

Agreed. Jallman has said things like this time and time again. It's because he thinks that because he went to a frilly school that made his parents THINK he was getting a better than average education and was anti-christian at one time that he seems to know what is 'better' for everyone else. So he chooses who SHOULD be running the show and who is 'smartest' --- it's all part of this megalomaniacal elitism complex.

"Those who decide what everyone will do grow rich because the decisions are made in their interest. They are pleased at how well they rule the others. The others smile too, thinking that their rulers know best." ~ Gang of Four ~

And a lot of people also need atheism as a crutch. Things in their life don't go the way they planned and so than they get angry at God and choose not to have faith anymore.

jallman said:
My dear Mr Washington, the whole premise of the argument is for the upper eschelons of academia and the politique to not only tolerate religion, but to promote it. Read again and see what I am saying...the educated elite go through the motions and dissemble a pious belief in the truths of the state religion. I am stating that religion is always going to be questioned with a cynical atheism (as shown by Technocratic), and a challenge to authority (as shown by me), and an unfortunate screaming heresy (as shown by sissy)...but it will always have an intrinsic value in holding together a society and maintaining a status quo that can be manipulated by the upper class.

But if it DID hold together society the way that you CLAIM it would, why does the US (who practically IS in a society like the one you hypothesized) have the HIGHEST crime rate and general 'immorality' that you speak of? The more you imprison the masses with ideology they more they act out. And it IS A heresy to even think of such a nonsensical example. Christianity (or any other religion) can never exist as the State's official religion in a free society. When it does, the society is SLAVERY, not freedom.

sissy-boy said:

But if it DID hold together society the way that you CLAIM it would, why does the US (who practically IS in a society like the one you hypothesized) have the HIGHEST crime rate and general 'immorality' that you speak of? The more you imprison the masses with ideology they more they act out. And it IS A heresy to even think of such a nonsensical example. Christianity (or any other religion) can never exist as the State's official religion in a free society. When it does, the society is SLAVERY, not freedom.

who said anything about it having to be christianity in its fundamental form. Why not something akin to the Roman philosophy of inclusion of religion. The state religion would more than likely have to assume the form of something akin to uniterian universalism. In order to be effective, the state religion would need to maintain a totally pluralistic stance...I am just suggesting that in addition, the state religion instigate a certain nationalism and patriotism as an undertone...a subtle injection by cleverly trained priest who have the endorsement and backing of the state itself.

jallman said:
Oh well certainly not in our government. This is all hypothetical...although it has been done before in other systems. However, this is simply an exercise in perfecting the utility of the religion in a society. I am not hypothesizing about a theocracy...but perhaps a state endorsed religion that is represented in the senatorial body of our hypothetic system.

It was just like the 'systems' under Mussolini and Hitler. And didn't THEY just turn out great? Your hypothesis is fascism. I really can't think of another word to describe it. It's been tried time and time again with disastrous results. I think you really just are a sociopath. You have grandiose ideas of how the state should 'go through the motions', which to me means to PRETEND that they actually believe in the tripe their trying to push on the masses, and you claim it is 'hypothetical', but I believe it is much more than that. I think this is the idea of your 'ideal society'. And the 'common man' is not quite as stupid as you pretentiously describe him.

jallman said:
who said anything about it having to be christianity in its fundamental form. Why not something akin to the Roman philosophy of inclusion of religion. The state religion would more than likely have to assume the form of something akin to uniterian universalism. In order to be effective, the state religion would need to maintain a totally pluralistic stance...I am just suggesting that in addition, the state religion instigate a certain nationalism and patriotism as an undertone...a subtle injection by cleverly trained priest who have the endorsement and backing of the state itself.

While I wouldn't PERSONALLY be opposed to this idea if it was TRULY a Unitarian govt., in which the people created their OWN God, it still is trampling on the rights of atheists or others who are not religious at all. In the 70's they referred to the Jungian archetype as 'the New Way' - which then fed the 12 step programs that truly are an entire brand of Spirituality. I don't think it's bad because it still gives the 'common man' the opportunity to decide for himself, but it still is unfair to many who would want no part of such a government.

And why would people who aren't unitarian want a unitarian government? Will this government be enacting "unitarian" policies? That's not right to do to people who aren't of said religion. What would be the point of a religious government or "state religion" it if had no power to force itself on people who were not of the same cloth.

Not everyone believes or even accepts unitarian universalism. Why should someone have to worship that? In the Roman system, you had to worship the state religion, even if they allowed you to worship your own as well (at least for a period of time).

True, but its hard to act on those stupid notions when you have to have the approval of the secular senate...meaning their vote can stop you.

But how do you get them not to pander to those who elect them? If they don't, there goes their seat. Unless you make their position "unelectable." Then, however, you have to deal with the high probability of corruption and malleability.

The one major problem I cannot conceive to be eliminatable in a government tied to religion is that it can so easily be corrupted on both sides. That's the reason why we have the separation. You cannot truth the State, and you cannot trust all the people either.

Plus, even if this hypoethetical did work, the damage has already been done in our reality. We don't live in a world of perfectly moderated religion. If that were so, it would be fine.

Last edited:
George_Washington said:
And a lot of people also need atheism as a crutch. Things in their life don't go the way they planned and so than they get angry at God and choose not to have faith anymore.

Atheism is not a crutch; the religion wast he crutch that broke and stopped working in the first place. There's a difference. People don't "need" a belief in no God, while many of you are saying people "need" God. You cannot have a crutch for something that doesn't advocate anything or provide any solace.

Atheism is not a crutch; the religion wast he crutch that broke and stopped working in the first place. There's a difference. People don't "need" a belief in no God, while many of you are saying people "need" God. You cannot have a crutch for something that doesn't advocate anything or provide any solace.

No, this is simple psychology. People can make a crutch out of anything, really. Atheism is a crutch for some people who are angry at what has happened in their lives and want to "get back at God." Some people feel so depressed about the world that they think there can't be a God. I'm not suggesting all atheists feel that way but neither do most religious people, of whom you said needed a crutch.

You know, you really are hypocritical, Tech. You say people need religion as a crutch, you bash religion constantly, and than you refuse to even acknowledge the fact that some people become atheists because of personal things that happen in their lives. Atheism DOES provide a solace for some people in that it reassures them that they don't have to take the time to practice a religion or be accountable for their actions to any higher power. It also provides solace to people that already feel like the world sucks and so they have something to base their depression on. To think that all people become atheists for the same reason is just sheer ignorance.

Last edited:
And why would people who aren't unitarian want a unitarian government? Will this government be enacting "unitarian" policies? That's not right to do to people who aren't of said religion. What would be the point of a religious government or "state religion" it if had no power to force itself on people who were not of the same cloth.

Not everyone believes or even accepts unitarian universalism. Why should someone have to worship that? In the Roman system, you had to worship the state religion, even if they allowed you to worship your own as well (at least for a period of time).

lol What do you care about what the people want when you yourself have advocated against Democracy? It's not right to force people into religion but it's ok to force them to do other things? Talk about hypocrisy.

I said something akin to uniterian universalism. It was just the most obvious example I had at my disposal. Of course any state endorsed religion would have to be molded to fit the political agenda, but I still feel the best way to make the religion appealing to everyone is to offer total inclusion. And it would be the function of the state to make the preferred religion more desirable by offering small perks. For example, charitable offerings to the state endorsed religion would be tax deductible, while offerings to all other cloths would be a matter of personal charity and not privy to the same benefits. Another side benefit is the tie the clergy would have to the lower administrations of the government, offering members more direct channels of access to voice their opinions. If you make the religion a desirable tool to the lower class also, then the general nature of humanity will lead the irrational masses to flock to the banner of whatever Divine vehicle the state deems appropriate and useful to its objectives.

I am not sure if you are familiar with the principles of uniterianism, but it was coined church for atheists who had not gotten out of the habit of going to church. Today's uniterian congregations tend to be a mixture of the displaced believer who has an irreconcilable difference with his traditional religion and the displaced fringe religion which needs the support of a stable congregation to provide resources like meeting places and the like. In the same congregation you find the agnostic who seeks communion with like minded seekers of truth. Here, if staffed with a clever, academic, and loyal clergy, the state can influence, by virtue of commonality of congregation or belief or community, an entire spectrum of social classes. The intrinsic levity of a religious ceremony accompanied by sermon makes the congregation a willing participant in the propagandizing of the agenda of the state through divine, pseudo philosophical, and socially governing body of the state church. Uniterian universalism seems to fit the profile based mostly on the fact that it tries beyond normal effort to be inclusive and accommodating. This is where I cause a riot and say that within this hypothetical system, the church's prime function is not to spiritually advance the society...spiritual advancement is too vague and amorphous an idea to be a true utility. However, under the GUISE of spiritual responsibility, the church acts as an extension of the political body, swaying the congregational morality through the tweaking and revision of doctrine and making the legislation of the actual government more palatable and less worthy of rebellion or dissention. In effect, the priesthood, unwitting or through active participation, becomes the PR branch of the state.

But how do you get them not to pander to those who elect them? If they don't, there goes their seat. Unless you make their position "unelectable." Then, however, you have to deal with the high probability of corruption and malleability.

You addressed this point a little sooner than I had hoped, if you are in fact speaking about the electorate of the priesthood. It is utterly necessary to save the priesthood and elevate it above public opinion. In light of this, I am working through a way of appointing the priesthood to the political body without tainting the process by direct vote of the irrational mass of the society. I am almost of a mind to say that appointment of representation of the state church would probably be a function of the church and the political body would be subject to the decision of the church in terms of its representative. The authority of the priesthood must remain a static eventuality only affected by the educations and the malleability of the generation of priests. This is why I advocated a forced debtorship of each priest to the state...to insure the priesthood's loyalty to the state...or if not a loyalty, at least a deep appreciation of the state's hand in each priest's elevation. In effect, there must be the appearance of the autonomy of the state religion, to appease the emotions of the lower classes, but behind the scenes, there must be a subtley forced subservience of the priesthood to the secular political body in order to maintain its insured utility.

The one major problem I cannot conceive to be eliminatable in a government tied to religion is that it can so easily be corrupted on both sides. That's the reason why we have the separation. You cannot truth the State, and you cannot trust all the people either.

Very true. And I have pondered over this dilemma for some time. The only thing I have surmised is that it is better to balance the potential for corruption on the side of the secular government and hope that the secular educations of the priest's appeal to their reason before their faith. I admit this freely: the system I am hypothesizing is a very delicate balance and relies on a presupposition that education will deter institution of myth over logic within the priesthood. Control of the priesthood is the problem of the secular government while willful intellectual dominance of the masses is the dominion of the clergy.

Plus, even if this hypoethetical did work, the damage has already been done in our reality. We don't live in a world of perfectly moderated religion. If that were so, it would be fine.

Oh you will hear no argument here. Remember in my earlier post I postulated that the biggest problem we face is that we turned religion loose in our society with no tether to the government...We never moderated religion and now the religious have gained enough influence to threaten the integrity of our legal system.

lol What do you care about what the people want when you yourself have advocated against Democracy? It's not right to force people into religion but it's ok to force them to do other things? Talk about hypocrisy.

Can you name a specific example in context? My goal is to minimize suffering. If ollow negative act/rule utilitarianism largely. I am not for "democracy," no. That's not the same.

No, this is simple psychology. People can make a crutch out of anything, really. Atheism is a crutch for some people who are angry at what has happened in their lives and want to "get back at God." Some people feel so depressed about the world that they think there can't be a God. I'm not suggesting all atheists feel that way but neither do most religious people, of whom you said needed a crutch.

No. A crutch is something that provides aid. Show me one example where an Atheist says he needs atheism to make himself feel better. The notion that you would be an Atheist and 'getting back at god' is illogical, since not believing god exists is atheism. You cannot get back at something you don't think exists. That's like saying I am alepreuchanist (i don't believe in them) because I want to get back at them for never giving me a pot of gold.

You know, you really are hypocritical, Tech. You say people need religion as a crutch, you bash religion constantly, and than you refuse to even acknowledge the fact that some people become atheists because of personal things that happen in their lives. Atheism DOES provide a solace for some people in that it reassures them that they don't have to take the time to practice a religion or be accountable for their actions to any higher power. It also provides solace to people that already feel like the world sucks and so they have something to base their depression on. To think that all people become atheists for the same reason is just sheer ignorance.

Prove it then.

No. A crutch is something that provides aid. Show me one example where an Atheist says he needs atheism to make himself feel better. The notion that you would be an Atheist and 'getting back at god' is illogical, since not believing god exists is atheism. You cannot get back at something you don't think exists. That's like saying I am alepreuchanist (i don't believe in them) because I want to get back at them for never giving me a pot of gold.

Well, religion can be a crutch for some people. I'm just saying so can atheism or any kind of belief depending on why that person adopted it. Emotional and psychological aid is subjective from person to person meaning that one thing might give more comfort to a person than another.

Prove it then.

Well, can you prove that religion is a crutch anymore than I can prove atheism is? The proof is already implied. What we know about psychology implies that people join organizations, have certain beliefs, etc. based on one or more psychological reasons. It's kind of absurd to think that everybody who becomes an atheism just wakes up one day thinking, "Hmmm, God doesn't exist. I know that now." And granted, probably some people have religious beliefs due to psychological reasons such as the way they feel about certain things, things that happen in their lives, etc.

Well, can you prove that religion is a crutch anymore than I can prove atheism is? The proof is already implied. What we know about psychology implies that people join organizations, have certain beliefs, etc. based on one or more psychological reasons. It's kind of absurd to think that everybody who becomes an atheism just wakes up one day thinking, "Hmmm, God doesn't exist. I know that now." And granted, probably some people have religious beliefs due to psychological reasons such as the way they feel about certain things, things that happen in their lives, etc.

Why would I Need to prove something that you yourself already stated to be true? Shouldn't you have to prove that?

Why would I Need to prove something that you yourself already stated to be true? Shouldn't you have to prove that?

I believe it to be logical to assume that if someone's belief in a religion can be used as a crutch than also someone's disbelief in religion can also be used as a crutch.

And no, I don't have to prove it because you yourself are the one who argued it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom