• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should "European Mary" depictions be removed?

• No

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • yes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • perhaps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Tomorrow you may see many pictures of Mary.

When is the Assumption of Mary?
The holiday is celebrated annually on August 15th.

The Feast of the Assumption of Mary is a very important day in the Catholic religion - it is even called the 'Easter of the summer' in some parts of Europe.

Also known as the 'Dormition of the Virgin Mary', it is the principal feast of the Blessed Virgin, the mother of Jesus Christ.

In countries such as Spain and Italy, it marks the start of the annual summer holidays, when many escape the heat of the cities to vacation on the coast or in the hills. Because of its date in the calendar, it is known as the "Feast of Our Lady of the Harvest" in some parts of Europe.

Assumption Day around the world in 2020 | Office Holidays

Removed by whom?

Who wants to remove "European Jesus"?

Somebody called Shaun King, as it seems.

Jeffery Shaun King (born September 17, 1979) is an American writer, civil rights activist and co-founder of Real Justice PAC. King uses social media to promote social justice causes, including the Black Lives Matter movement.

King was raised in Kentucky and attended Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia. While at Morehouse, King was elected president of the Student Government Association and was awarded the Oprah Winfrey Scholarship.

After college, he worked as a high school teacher in Atlanta. He then went on to work as a pastor and founded a church in Atlanta called Courageous Church. During this time, King launched a number of internet campaigns, such as aHomeinHaiti.org, TwitChange.com, and HopeMob.org.

Shaun King - Wikipedia

No. Yes I'm an Atheist but that celebration has absolutely nothing to do with me. It's akin to celebrating Easter bunny day. THAT I like. It actually makes sense. This virgin thing?
Come on..give me a break. It like suspending gravity.
People have a right to be wrong, as long as they do little or no damage.

No. Yes I'm an Atheist but that celebration has absolutely nothing to do with me. It's akin to celebrating Easter bunny day. THAT I like. It actually makes sense. This virgin thing?
Come on..give me a break. It like suspending gravity.
People have a right to be wrong, as long as they do little or no damage.

Anyone ever notice that the Easter Bunny is white?

...just like Jesus, Mary and Santa Claus.

Can we stop talking about Europe and more about America? Europe is still jealous over 1776 and the fact that the USA is the oldest and greatest country ever! Go Red White and Blue!!

Europe is still jealous over 1776 and the fact that the USA is the oldest and greatest country ever! Go Red White and Blue!!

Do I listen to Donald Duck or Donald Trump or to both of them just now? :cool:

Should totally superfluous polls be removed together with the thread that contains them?

:2razz:

Isn't it kind of racist to assume that "Oh, no, Mary could have not possibly been that white because she was a Jew"?

Isn't it kind of racist to assume that "Oh, no, Mary could have not possibly been that white because she was a Jew"?

Exactly! :peace

Why? It's not like she has very much to do with the mother of Jesus.
When one considers her role in the Bible compared to how she is depicted in Christianity, she seems about as Christian as the Easter Bunny. More likely she is One of the pagan deities adopted and adapted by it.
The virgin mother archetype is an aspect of the old mother goddess of earth, sea, animals, and monsters common to most ancient religions of the northern hemisphere. So old we can even glimpse aspects of her in certain North American myths. The opposite of the sky father (Vedic: "Dyaus-Piter", Gr. "Zeus", Lat. "Ju-piter"), sometimes his enemy, sometimes his wife or sister. It is even in her name, Maryam being Old Hebrew for "Mistress of the Sea" and Maria being Latin for "Ocean" (female form), so adapting her must have been a piece of cake.

Nah, if you want to depict Mary accurately, you should probably depict a stone age woman of some sort. Maybe one of those fat fertility statues. :2razz:

I guess if enough Europeans want her gone, they can get rid of her.

Back
Top Bottom