• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should "European Jesus" depictions be removed?

Should "European Jesus" depictions be removed?

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Shaun King (ya know - the guy who pretended to be black) thinks they're a "gross form of white supremacy" and " tools of oppression".

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1275113067555303424

Yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down.

They are a form of white supremacy.

Always have been.

In the Bible, when the family of Jesus wanted to hide, and blend in, guess where they went?

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

All murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus, and his European mother, and their white friends should also come down.

They are a gross form white supremacy.

Created as tools of oppression.
Racist propaganda.

They should all come down.

Last edited:
The probably should. Cue the right to freak out In 5... 4... 3...

Shaun King (ya know - the guy who pretended to be black) thinks they're a "gross form of white supremacy" and " tools of oppression".

Yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down.

Always have been.

In the Bible, when the family of Jesus wanted to hide, and blend in, guess where they went?

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

All murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus, and his European mother, and their white friends should also come down.

Racist propaganda.

No. Considering the depictions of Jesus as a white-skinned Northern European can be seen in the Early Medieval times long predating Colonialism, slavery and white supremacy, such arguments are inane. But I have no doubt such monuments will be the next target of the current wave of indignant moral iconoclasm.

Always have been.

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

Racist propaganda.

No, I just think they ought to start emphasizing the 'Miracle of the Caucasian Birth' alongside with Immaculate Conception.

You talkin' bout' Jesus?

Jesus.jpg

Always have been.

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

Racist propaganda.

It is an interesting argument. Offhand I'd say it should be up to each individual Christian church. On public property, in public buildings? I can see both sides of the argument. Very interesting.

Most protestants believe images of Jesus to be idolatry and forbidden. Go into a protestant church sometime.

Always have been.

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

Racist propaganda.

I will not take a position on removal because I think there is a much bigger issue that a statue or painting can't compare to, and that's the notion that any sane person would believe in their mind that Jesus was a white European of any kind.
It is genetically, historically and statistically impossible for that to be so.

There simply is no way that Jesus of Nazareth could have been anything other than an Arab with dark skin, and it is even quite possible he may have even had African lineage, a black man. The modern day Christian Bible is a much abused historical text that has been edited, manipulated and distorted by white Europeans for millennia.

One can remove statues and paintings all day long but in the end, bigoted people will just create more.
The main issue is to pop their bubble and destroy their bigoted thinking.

I'm not religious, but Genesis tells us that God created man "in his own image".

I suppose one could interpret that as any projection of God is in the eye of the beholder.

Most protestants believe images of Jesus to be idolatry and forbidden. Go into a protestant church sometime.

Mmmkay. But what about the topic question?

Let's just remove everything. Rename streets, cities, states, etc with simple alphanumerics. Outlaw, statues, plaques, roadside historic markers, holidays celebrations anyone's birthday or historic events. Why fiddle-**** around in dribs and drabs, let's just do it NOW. :roll:

Always have been.

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

Racist propaganda.

I may be confused about all this stuff but my understanding is that Jesus was born in Bethlehem, that his mother was from Nazareth and that Joseph was from somewhere in that area as well. Bethlehem is kind of the other side of the Red Sea from Egypt and Nazareth is north of Bethlehem, thus even farther from Egypt. The blacks in Egypt are generally Nubians and their origins are farther south, in and near Sudan.

While it's certainly not impossible that Jesus was black the probability of him being black is rather small. Most of the biblical stories of the New Testament place Jesus primarily in what is now Israel, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon. While Mary and Joseph did take Jesus to Egypt to escape Herod that would have almost certainly been to northern Egypt as they were fleeing Jerusalem and Herod didn't have much power outside Judea which didn't extend beyond the Dead Sea.

There simply is no way that Jesus of Nazareth could have been anything other than an Arab with dark skin

Not that I believe that Jesus ever actually existed, but here's a picture of an actual Arab:

220px-Crown_Prince_Mohammad_bin_Salman_Al_Saud_-_2017.jpg

No offense, but if you're refusing to vote Democrat in 2020 you don't really get to go around lecturing anybody about White Privilege.

No offense, but if you're refusing to vote Democrat in 2020 you don't really get to go around lecturing anybody about White Privilege.

I'm not lecturing anyone. I'm not the one who said it was a form of white supremacy.

God created man in his own image, in Africa.

No. Considering the depictions of Jesus as a white-skinned Northern European can be seen in the Early Medieval times long predating Colonialism, slavery and white supremacy

You ever heard of a little thing called the Crusades?

The point here is that White Europeans whitewashed the history of Christianity. Virtually all depictions of biblical heroes including God himself depict men that generally appear to be white Europeans despite the obvious reality that virtually all stories in the bible take place somewhere in the middle east.

Jesus was brown, Mary was brown, Joeseph was brown, Moses was brown, Abraham, Noah, Adam and if all these people were brown and god created them in his own image then it stands to reason that God himself would be brown.

The point here is that White Europeans whitewashed the history of Christianity. Virtually all depictions of biblical heroes including God himself depict men that generally appear to be white Europeans despite the obvious reality that virtually all stories in the bible take place somewhere in the middle east.

Jesus was brown, Mary was brown, Joeseph was brown, Moses was brown, Abraham, Noah, Adam and if all these people were brown and god created them in his own image then it stands to reason that God himself would be brown.

All Jewish too!

Always have been.

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

Racist propaganda.

Talcum X? Isn't that just precious?

It only stands to reason that God Himself was brown if you believe in an anthropomorphized concept of God, i.e. a gigantic old bearded man who lives in the sky.

tenor.gif

There simply is no way that Jesus of Nazareth could have been anything other than an Arab with dark skin, ….

Arabs from Arabia who spoke Arabic didn't show up in Israel or Egypt until the 7th century. Jesus spoke Aramaic the language that had replaced Hebrew as the language of the Jews.

I will not take a position on removal because I think there is a much bigger issue that a statue or painting can't compare to, and that's the notion that any sane person would believe in their mind that Jesus was a white European of any kind.
It is genetically, historically and statistically impossible for that to be so.

Im an atheist so cant really speak as to what Christians believe but I wouldn't think immaculate conceptions would necessarily involve Joseph's or Mary's genetic material or resulting traits.

Back
Top Bottom