• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should "European Jesus" depictions be removed?

Should "European Jesus" depictions be removed?

• Total voters
Depictions of Jesus is idolatry

Christian’s should be against any depictions of Jesus or god

How many years after the events was the book written?

Why does that matter? I just provided more documentarian evidence that Jesus was a Jew, did not he was any other race. It’s not like you’re going to find any documents more credible than say Jesus was black or Arab. If you reject the gospel as evidence, then you reject the gospel is evidence that’s not the purview of this discussion

The earliest dates of your book were well after Jesus had lived and died, if you subscribe to the calendar. Take a sample of the people who inhabit the geographic area where Jesus is said to have lived. Most sport at least a deep tan due to the weather. Jesus, if there was one, was something other than “white.”

That doesn’t fit your narrative, obviously.

"Progressives" in America.

Like I said, I used to codemn such comments, but I've been worn down by humanity's inability to give a ****. I place the blame of the riots squarely on the shoulders of every single person who have willfully turned a blind eye, who have found every reason to disparage victims instead of bringing the government to heel. My stance was more moderate back in 2015. Your fellow conservatives kicked that right out of me.

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" -JFK

Basically we have to interpret everything in a very specific way? I can't just read the bible, I also have to read Mr. Campbell's break down of the bible?

Are you christian? Because this post really shows how vague and cherry pickable the bible is. You can tell me the promised land is in the heart, but can't I just believe something entirely different? No wonder there's like a dozen types of church devoted to the guy who said to have sermon on the hill. Nobody knows what the book is talking about.

I just find it amusing to show up to a thread where people are debating the "facts" about a mistranslated telling of old camp fire stories. There's a story in Sanskrit describing a queen sending the king's son down the river to the slaves, only to come back as an adult demanding their freedom. That means the bible literally has at least one backwards story.

The christian version makes less sense also, in the first story moses (not his original name) had bargaining power as the rightful heir to the throne. A few hundred years of verbal tradition later and suddenly he's just some slave that got picked randomly to be a prince?

It is weird to read you describing the "accurate" way to interpret a religion, then point out how it shares a common narrative that is told in many other religions. That basically proves Christianity is just a Frankenstein's monster made from chopped up bits of older traditions.

I can't tell if you want other people to read the bible to better understand why it doesn't make sense, or if you want me to go along with these hidden meanings and subtext.

Either way this thread is pretty wacko crazy nuts.

You're free to interpret it any way you want. I don't control your intellectual level. You can be as closed minded as you like.

Y'all should come to the "Beliefs and Skepticism" forum.

We have the same tired atheists for years now and could use some new blood.

Y'all should come to the "Beliefs and Skepticism" forum.

We have the same tired atheists for years now and could use some new blood.

But you haven't even been here one year.....

I'm not religious, but Genesis tells us that God created man "in his own image".

I suppose one could interpret that as any projection of God is in the eye of the beholder.

True.

In many parts of China and Korea, Jesus is depicted as a man of distinctly East-Asian heritage.

234-2-1280x720.jpg

In parts of Africa, such as Kenya, Jesus is depicted as a black African man.

131213163736-05-face-of-jesus-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

The so-called European Jesus is not "whitewashing" or some sinister attempt at intentionally obscuring Jesus's most likely darker-complexioned Levant identity.

I chose 'something else.' We obviously should move away from depicting a European Jesus, but that does not mean destroying historical pieces. We should instead look at them with new 'enlightened' eyes.

And yes, this is different from the Confederate statues, which are in place to glorify a racist government/economic system.

You're free to interpret it any way you want. I don't control your intellectual level. You can be as closed minded as you like.

Understanding that religion is nothing but verbal tradition put into a book, makes me close minded?

Should I accept that the bible as the word of god just because a human said so? How is that open minded?

When your religion requires the rejection of all other spiritual practices in order to have nice after life. You don't really get to lecture people on being "close minded."

Like I said, I used to codemn such comments, but I've been worn down by humanity's inability to give a ****. I place the blame of the riots squarely on the shoulders of every single person who have willfully turned a blind eye, who have found every reason to disparage victims instead of bringing the government to heel. My stance was more moderate back in 2015. Your fellow conservatives kicked that right out of me.

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" -JFK

"Progressives" in America after they have completed their progression that leads to them wanting to burn everyones house down.

I chose 'something else.' We obviously should move away from depicting a European Jesus, but that does not mean destroying historical pieces. We should instead look at them with new 'enlightened' eyes.

And yes, this is different from the Confederate statues, which are in place to glorify a racist government/economic system.

Yeah? So what? The left says what we have today is a racist system

As well many of the ancient populations of the area were believed to have descended from the "Sea Peoples" who settled the area, believed to have originated from Europe.

Then theres the Palestinain activist Ahed Tamimi

3f62e2471898e678ccd3e38afa60f97e.jpg

whose family comes from Saudi Arabia.

^^^This!

That woman is beautiful--- especially love that hair. Jesus could have easily looked like a male version of this woman from the middle east. We don't know for sure, but to say it is impossible some people just don't understand either the history of that region, or the MANY DNA fingerprints which have passed through it.

It is an interesting argument. Offhand I'd say it should be up to each individual Christian church. On public property, in public buildings? I can see both sides of the argument. Very interesting.

"Public" property shouldnt have religious representations anyway, right?

OTOH, on private property, whichever they want is fine IMO.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Most protestants believe images of Jesus to be idolatry and forbidden. Go into a protestant church sometime.

Source? I'm United Methodist and never heard of such a thing. Any protestant church I've ever been in had stained glass windows with Jesus, pictures, etc. Not alot of statues but those are more a Catholic thing I think.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

I'm not religious, but Genesis tells us that God created man "in his own image".

I suppose one could interpret that as any projection of God is in the eye of the beholder.

But Jesus was a real person.

Shaun King (ya know - the guy who pretended to be black) thinks they're a "gross form of white supremacy" and " tools of oppression".

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1275113067555303424

Yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down.

They are a form of white supremacy.

Always have been.

In the Bible, when the family of Jesus wanted to hide, and blend in, guess where they went?

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

All murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus, and his European mother, and their white friends should also come down.

They are a gross form white supremacy.

Created as tools of oppression.
Racist propaganda.

They should all come down.

Gonna need a bigger sledgehammer.

I always have to do all the work for you;

“The virgin birth has nothing to do with a biological accident,” Campbell explained. It symbolizes instead, he said, “the awakening of spiritual life in the human animal. It’s a mythic symbol. It should not be read, finally, as historical fact. All mythology is misread when it is read as referring to historical events or geographical places. The Promised Land is not a piece of land to be conquered by military might; it is a condition of the heart.” Joseph Campbell

just about every culture has a virgin birth story.

So it doesn't matter what "race" you depict Jesus. He is also a metaphor.

Somebody should tell some of the Catholic cultists and fundie Christians that.

Well it should settle that, it’s not like it’s this giant secret what Jesus ethnicity was. There’s a freaking genealogy of them written in the book.

Of course, different cultures would artistically displayed Jesus as one of their own. Because there’s a bus that goes into making art. Go look at the virgin of Guadalupe, she is depicted as looking pretty Mexican.

His "Genealogy" is fake. Either he is god or he's not, and if he has any of Mary's DNA then he's not. God implanted himself in a human surrogate, skipping the alien abduction part.

Understanding that religion is nothing but verbal tradition put into a book, makes me close minded?

Should I accept that the bible as the word of god just because a human said so? How is that open minded?

When your religion requires the rejection of all other spiritual practices in order to have nice after life. You don't really get to lecture people on being "close minded."

Nope. you can believe anything you want. I was just using Joseph Campbell to point out that the bible doesn't have to be taken literally. Whatever else you read into that is your problem.

Somebody should tell some of the Catholic cultists and fundie Christians that.

It's not my job to tell others how to believe, or believe at all. I was just pointing out, by way of Joseph Campbell, that the bible, and other religious writings, can be read on different levels and in different ways. Of course, there are nut jobs on this forum that have a problem with that.

Other. For crying out loud. I read an article were the writer said that no one was perfect and if everyone demanded our statues to be of people of perfection, even Jesus's statue wouldn't stand.:roll:

Well, these statue pulling downs are the work of SJWs. Was the statue of an oppressor? Pull it down. Did the statue represent oppression? Pull it down. This isn't rocket science.

No, but we can certainly normalize darker skinned depictions of Jesus and discuss how the Church has often had a habit of making Christianity comfortable for the people that are being converted (i.e. those who resided in the region we identify as modern-day Europe), including making visual depictions seem familiar. Likewise, we could also get into that fun, but inaccurate argument that many depictions of Christ are influenced by that wonderful Papal family from Spain. It's a mostly harmless literary rabbit hole, so long as you don't take it to be true ;)

Lastly, Shaun King is a grifter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom