• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should "European Jesus" depictions be removed?

Should "European Jesus" depictions be removed?

• Total voters
Shaun King (ya know - the guy who pretended to be black) thinks they're a "gross form of white supremacy" and " tools of oppression".
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1275113067555303424
Yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down.
They are a form of white supremacy.
Always have been.
In the Bible, when the family of Jesus wanted to hide, and blend in, guess where they went?
EGYPT!
Not Denmark.
Tear them down.
Yes.
All murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus, and his European mother, and their white friends should also come down.
They are a gross form white supremacy.
Created as tools of oppression.
Racist propaganda.
They should all come down.

Sure ... I don't mind. As long as that Shaun King dude pledges to replace them all with tanned-looking images ... ;)

kifah-quzmar-palestine-israel.jpg

Arabs from Arabia who spoke Arabic didn't show up in Israel or Egypt until the 7th century. Jesus spoke Aramaic the language that had replaced Hebrew as the language of the Jews.

Im an atheist so cant really speak as to what Christians believe but I wouldn't think immaculate conceptions would necessarily involve Joseph's or Mary's genetic material or resulting traits.

If anyone can believe that a virgin can give birth, they can just as easily believe that the baby had no genetic material from the mother. For all we know, if Jesus existed he very well could have been Danish.

By the way, I find it a little bit funny and rather sad that, as between Christians (1) claiming that if you don't believe exactly what they believe you deserve to burn in Hell forever, and (2) depicting an incarnation of God as having light brown hair instead of black, that people are chosing (2) to whine about.

Last edited:
While we have no DNA information on Jesus's father, we know his mother was Jewish. DNA evidence shows the Jewish people originated in Europe. It is highly possible that Jesus was European in looks. But who cares. This is just another example of liberals trying to sow division.

virgin births? Genetics? You all need to read you some Joseph Campbell.

Most protestants believe images of Jesus to be idolatry and forbidden. Go into a protestant church sometime.

Strict "Bible Christians" see idolatry behind every corner.

Im an atheist so cant really speak as to what Christians believe but I wouldn't think immaculate conceptions would necessarily involve Joseph's or Mary's genetic material or resulting traits.

immaculate conception has nothing to do with the birth of Baby Jesus.
It refers to the birth of Baby Mary.

Shaun King (ya know - the guy who pretended to be black) thinks they're a "gross form of white supremacy" and " tools of oppression".

Yes, I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down.

Always have been.

In the Bible, when the family of Jesus wanted to hide, and blend in, guess where they went?

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

All murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus, and his European mother, and their white friends should also come down.

Racist propaganda.

Coming from a white guy who thinks he is black ( has a mental disease for certain), I think a dump at the outhouse is a better remedy.

Do we now? Need to? To what end?

I always have to do all the work for you;

“The virgin birth has nothing to do with a biological accident,” Campbell explained. It symbolizes instead, he said, “the awakening of spiritual life in the human animal. It’s a mythic symbol. It should not be read, finally, as historical fact. All mythology is misread when it is read as referring to historical events or geographical places. The Promised Land is not a piece of land to be conquered by military might; it is a condition of the heart.” Joseph Campbell

just about every culture has a virgin birth story.

So it doesn't matter what "race" you depict Jesus. He is also a metaphor.

Always have been.

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

Racist propaganda.

Unlike the statues of political and non-religious historical figures, most (all?) depictions of Jesus are on private property and it is up to the owners of that property what to do with those depictions.

But Jesus being white in these images is not about racism. It's about early European Christians understanding a foreign religion through a lens of the familiar. And you can find depictions of Jesus in all different races as interpreted by the various and diverse cultures who have adopted Christianity over the centuries.

So this is just more stupid from the Left.

Unlike the statues of political and non-religious historical figures, most (all?) depictions of Jesus are on private property and it is up to the owners of that property what to do with those depictions. .

That's why Shaun wants it to be up to the rioting mob who would tear them down instead.

Always have been.

EGYPT!

Not Denmark.

Tear them down.

Yes.

Racist propaganda.

Jesus is oppressive!! :lol:

:lol:

:lol:

:rofl:

the notion that any sane person would believe in their mind that Jesus was a white European of any kind.
It is genetically, historically and statistically impossible for that to be so.

Any proof? Is it your belief that location determines genetics/DNA. Or isn't it more a matter of migration?

There simply is no way that Jesus of Nazareth could have been anything other than an Arab with dark skin

Many Arabs do not have dark skin. Arabs are in fact technically Caucasians. Some are darker, many are light skinned, same way it is all over Europe.

..and it is even quite possible he may have even had African lineage, a black man.

Maybe. And it is also possible he looked like a Greek, Roman, or Persian too given the migration and the occupation by many other cultures and groups throughout the region called "Palestine" during the time Jesus is said to have lived there.

Here is a photo of Palestinian children. They look like they could be Greek, Italian, Persian, Turkish, Sicilian, Romanian, or many other ethnicities in Europe or the mid East. Probably would not pass for Scottish, Swedish, or Irish. But definitely don't look like they can't be Europeans as you seem to deny was possible for Jesus.

b50518d8a39c62c0fd0659ece7b30635.jpg

Maybe. And it is also possible he looked like a Greek, Roman, or Persian too given the migration and the occupation by many other cultures and groups throughout the region called "Palestine" during the time Jesus is said to have lived there.

As well many of the ancient populations of the area were believed to have descended from the "Sea Peoples" who settled the area, believed to have originated from Europe.

Then theres the Palestinain activist Ahed Tamimi

3f62e2471898e678ccd3e38afa60f97e.jpg

whose family comes from Saudi Arabia.

Jesus was green and possessed both sexual organs.

I can't be bothered to care. If there was a man behind this legend, he probably didn't look like me, and I have not a **** to give about that. I don't know for certain that depicting him as European was intentionally supremacist or people depicting the familiar, and neither do any of you.

In regards to the larger issue of historical/confederate/KKK statues coming down, I think it's ****ing hilarious that Google map so quickly updated Columbus' status as being at the bottom of a lake.

I used to scold other lefties for condoning riots and mob behavior, but after five years of watching 'small government' right-wingers dismiss every single instance of killer cops time and time and time again, and after seeing some on my side of the fence lend support to someone like Michael ****ing Bloomberg, I'm about ready to just burn everyone's house down.

I always have to do all the work for you;

“The virgin birth has nothing to do with a biological accident,” Campbell explained. It symbolizes instead, he said, “the awakening of spiritual life in the human animal. It’s a mythic symbol. It should not be read, finally, as historical fact. All mythology is misread when it is read as referring to historical events or geographical places. The Promised Land is not a piece of land to be conquered by military might; it is a condition of the heart.” Joseph Campbell

just about every culture has a virgin birth story.

So it doesn't matter what "race" you depict Jesus. He is also a metaphor.

Basically we have to interpret everything in a very specific way? I can't just read the bible, I also have to read Mr. Campbell's break down of the bible?

Are you christian? Because this post really shows how vague and cherry pickable the bible is. You can tell me the promised land is in the heart, but can't I just believe something entirely different? No wonder there's like a dozen types of church devoted to the guy who said to have sermon on the hill. Nobody knows what the book is talking about.

I just find it amusing to show up to a thread where people are debating the "facts" about a mistranslated telling of old camp fire stories. There's a story in Sanskrit describing a queen sending the king's son down the river to the slaves, only to come back as an adult demanding their freedom. That means the bible literally has at least one backwards story.

The christian version makes less sense also, in the first story moses (not his original name) had bargaining power as the rightful heir to the throne. A few hundred years of verbal tradition later and suddenly he's just some slave that got picked randomly to be a prince?

It is weird to read you describing the "accurate" way to interpret a religion, then point out how it shares a common narrative that is told in many other religions. That basically proves Christianity is just a Frankenstein's monster made from chopped up bits of older traditions.

I can't tell if you want other people to read the bible to better understand why it doesn't make sense, or if you want me to go along with these hidden meanings and subtext.

Either way this thread is pretty wacko crazy nuts.

I will not take a position on removal because I think there is a much bigger issue that a statue or painting can't compare to, and that's the notion that any sane person would believe in their mind that Jesus was a white European of any kind.
It is genetically, historically and statistically impossible for that to be so.

There simply is no way that Jesus of Nazareth could have been anything other than an Arab with dark skin, and it is even quite possible he may have even had African lineage, a black man. The modern day Christian Bible is a much abused historical text that has been edited, manipulated and distorted by white Europeans for millennia.

One can remove statues and paintings all day long but in the end, bigoted people will just create more.
The main issue is to pop their bubble and destroy their bigoted thinking
Jesus was neither Arab nor black. Jesus actually was white by how we measure white in our society. Jesus was Semitic And spoke Aramaic and lived in a portion of the Roman empire which spoke Greek.

Jesus was neither Arab nor black. Jesus actually was white by how we measure white in our society. Jesus was Semitic And spoke Aramaic and lived in a portion of the Roman empire which spoke Greek.

Well, that settles that.........

Talcum X? Isn't that just precious?

Sean King is just hilarious, he basically pretended to be a black guy, and when he got caught his excuse was then that his mother was a skank. In other words, perfect hero for the left.

Well, that settles that.........

Well it should settle that, it’s not like it’s this giant secret what Jesus ethnicity was. There’s a freaking genealogy of them written in the book.

Of course, different cultures would artistically displayed Jesus as one of their own. Because there’s a bus that goes into making art. Go look at the virgin of Guadalupe, she is depicted as looking pretty Mexican.

Well it should settle that, it’s not like it’s this giant secret what Jesus ethnicity was. There’s a freaking genealogy of them written in the book.

Of course, different cultures would artistically displayed Jesus as one of their own. Because there’s a bus that goes into making art. Go look at the virgin of Guadalupe, she is depicted as looking pretty Mexican.

The “book.” What book?

Back
Top Bottom