• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should "drunk in public" be illegal?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

If so, what should the standard be? Same blood alcohol content (BAC) level as driving? Something more subjective like inability to care for oneself and/or being belligerent? Maybe a pre-determined BAC level similar to driving, but higher?

If a person cannot care for them self, and/or is belligerent, don't we already have laws for those? If so, and you feel the criteria should be situation specific, why would we then need a law such as "drunk in public"?

Disclaimers: Question presumes a person is simply in public and not operating any machinery. Question also regards what you believe "should be", not what the law currently is. Your belief may or may not match up with current status.

If so, what should the standard be? Same blood alcohol content (BAC) level as driving? Something more subjective like inability to care for oneself and/or being belligerent? Maybe a pre-determined BAC level similar to driving, but higher?

If a person cannot care for them self, and/or is belligerent, don't we already have laws for those? If so, and you feel the criteria should be situation specific, why would we then need a law such as "drunk in public"?

Disclaimers: Question presumes a person is simply in public and not operating any machinery. Question also regards what you believe "should be", not what the law currently is. Your belief may or may not match up with current status.

It is a catch all tool of LEO's, they do not have to provide any proof other than they claim you were acting badly and obviously drunk, that is another reason for all of them wearing body camera's while working.

My impression has always been if you act stupid cause of alcohol Public intox was the charge. As a rule, if you are just drunk and stumbling home from the bar LEO's usually wont but probably could arrest you for it. Perhaps I should think this one through, cause some nights I leave DP and go downtown and have a few, and often walk home.

The purpose is to get bums off the street. Other than that you won't be bothered unless you are making a public disturbance.

In todays society you need to include drugs (recreational or not).

Been trying not to, think I will stick with the beer and or whiskey. But thanks anyway.
In todays society you need to include drugs (recreational or not).

Nope. There's enough other laws that if you're doing something besides just being drunk, you can get in trouble. Don't need another law.

Depends. Along the Gulf Coast during Mardi Gras? No. In New Orleans' French Quarter year-round? No. :mrgreen: Anywhere else? Probably.

Public intoxication is not illegal in NY, though being high on weed or narcotics is.

Everyplace has a disorderly conduct style offense. That should be more than enough to deal with drunks who act like asses.

Depends. Along the Gulf Coast during Mardi Gras? No. In New Orleans' French Quarter year-round? No. :mrgreen: Anywhere else? Probably.

lol. Been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Most fun you can have with your clothes on. Didn't realize it was like that year round.

It's the local version of the fed's "Mail fraud".

If all else fails, you at least have used a stamp, laying the first brick in a conspiracy investigation.

I think it depends on how drunk, and where and how are you getting home when LEO leaves for a donut run.

lol. Been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. Most fun you can have with your clothes on. Didn't realize it was like that year round.

You kept your clothes on?

This law shouldn't exist. Get rid of this. Get rid of "resisting arrest" while we're at it.

As far as I know the party atmosphere in New Orleans' tourist areas is pretty much year-round:

The city of New Orleans lacks strict open container laws, but it does require people who drink alcohol on sidewalks and streets to do so only from plastic cups. This Mardi Gras destination also prohibits drinking alcohol in a parking lot. Similarly, the city of Las Vegas permits public consumption of alcohol from a glass container on all but a few holidays, like New Years Eve and July 4th.

The main reason that some locales do not have open containers laws is to promote tourism by encouraging tourists to support local businesses by drinking at bars, restaurants, hotels, and in specific districts, such as New Orleans' French Quarter and the Las Vegas Strip.

Open Container Law - FindLaw

The purpose is to get bums off the street. Other than that you won't be bothered unless you are making a public disturbance.

Seems like a license to harass otherwise law-abiding "undesirables."

I was going to say that.

I went to Mardi Gras almost 25 years ago.
My advice is dont go with your wife/GF or whatever. If they go without you just break up with them before they go and save yourself the headaches.

Where will people drink, that don't have a home?

Public intoxication (PI) or drunk and dissorderly (D&D) is often used as a city/county substitute for DUI/DWI charges. Traffic charges are state offenses so the local PD (and perhaps jail) does the work (and incurs the expenses) but the state gets most (or all) of the fine imposed upon conviction. Unlike DUI/DWI where the sentences stack (compound?) for subsequent offense convicions, the PI or D&D sentences (generally) remain flat. I would prefer to receive the lesser (non-state) charges and lighter sentences of PI or D&D which also do not increase one's auto insurance premiums.

Nope. There's enough other laws that if you're doing something besides just being drunk, you can get in trouble. Don't need another law.

This.

If you are harassing people or behaving in a dangerous manner there are already a laws for that. plenty of people can get drunk without losing control of themselves.

Been trying not to, think I will stick with the beer and or whiskey. But thanks anyway.

Me too , and occasional wine. but if the question is should drunk in public be illegal., one should consider other things that makes people stupid.:mrgreen:

It really is in the US. As long as nobody can really tell if your blasted, you're okay, but cops can stick ya for it.

Back
Top Bottom