• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should congress pass a law subsidizing gas prices until the Ukraine issue calms down?

Should congress pass a law subsidizing gas prices until the Ukraine issue calms down?

• Yes

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 40 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
Well if Grandma would just die from Covid then there would be less energy used and people would not have had to wear masks

Have you explained that to her and her friends ?

She might be interested to know how she fits in the pecking order.

Have you explained that to her and her friends ?

She might be interested to know how she fits in the pecking order.

Well mine died many many years ago. My mother who is older than my grandmother was when she died would rather live for a few more years.

I support that position

This raises and interesting question.

How do "We the People" not own some of the oil coming out of the ground ? It is a shared natural resource.

This is a serious proposal:

1. Every adult gets an allocation of gasoline/diesel in the form (call them gas stamps) of some kind of transferable credit.
2. It allows you to buy gasoline at market prices.
3. If you don't have the gas stamp, you can't buy gas.
4. So if you want gasoline, you might have to buy someone else's stamps (so they can make some money off of something they share ownership in).
5. In that way, we allow everyone to benefit from shared ownership of a natural resource.
6. The market can then allow those with more money to buy all the gasoline they want.

Well mine died many many years ago. My mother who is older than my grandmother was when she died would rather live for a few more years.

I support that position

What position ?

You said "if she would just die from COVID". Is that what you want for your mother ??????

What position ?

You said "if she would just die from COVID". Is that what you want for your mother ??????
That she lives for a few more years

The post you quoted was sarcasm, reflecting people who disliked Covid 19 restrictions like wearing a mask and social distancing as a way to reduce deaths and infections

Yep, but new (2022) F-150 trucks can be far less expensive. As with many vehicles, the cost of ‘upgrade’ options can (at least) double the ‘basic’ model price.

Eh, I never buy a 'new' vehicle. Waste of $$$.

We consistently buy off-lease vehicles that have around 20K miles on them. Then we drive them until they are past the point where you can do repairs that make sense financially.

My husband will be getting a new truck here in the next year or so - but I'm likely 5-6 years (if not more) from needing a new vehicle.

No, but Congress should pass a subsidy for low income people to be able to drive where they need to go. Something to help them pay for the gas they need. All others (everyone) should adjust their driving habits and conserve to reduce energy usage.

No, no, no, the price hike is intentional to push green energy and battery cars.

Suffering is the entire point. Plus, the poor are supposed be using mass transit per the Dem Party.

Every type of energy saved is a Ukrainian life saved.

Quaint, but probably impossible to demonstrate.

Reducing demand reduces the price of energy. That helps Ukraine and Europe.

Okay, but nobody is intentionally conserving energy. Nobody.

And it also helps Americans spend less on energy.

So, it's good all around.

Quaint and idyllic.

It is unpatriotic and anti-social to waste energy.

You're attempting to indict 97% of the planet. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you crushing cans, sorting your garbage, and turning out the kitchen light, but in the big scheme of things it's not unpatriotic to run the A/C or water your flowers.

It is equal to about 1% of revenue in states...probably less than that in the federal government.(Less than 40B total)

The governments can't find pet projects to cut to give citizens relief? 1%.

Bullshit.
They can but they won't. They never do. The government needs to find a way to tap the obscene profits made by the oil cartels. That's where any relief should come from. The government shouldn't have to bail out people who are being screwed by big oil.

No, no, no, the price hike is intentional to push green energy and battery cars.

Suffering is the entire point. Plus, the poor are supposed be using mass transit per the Dem Party.

Quaint and idyllic.

You're attempting to indict 97% of the planet. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you crushing cans, sorting your garbage, and turning out the kitchen light, but in the big scheme of things it's not unpatriotic to run the A/C or water your flowers.
We, the currently living humans, have no right to consume more than our share of the natural resources, and have have no right to pollute the planet or cause irreparable harm to the habitat, which will impact the lives of those yet to come.

This attitude of "I Got Mine, The Heck With You" is irresponsible and selfish.

Hypermiling is easy, a completely different way of driving. It saves gas and saves money. It saves brakes and tires. And it saves lives.

Aggressive driving is wasteful and dangerous. It needlessly wastes gas and sometimes causes needless deaths. People are simpy in too much of a hurry. It is absolutely ridiculous to see drivers competing with one another for nothing more than position at the next stoplight. Light turns green, everybody goes. Light turns red, everybody stops. There is no need to try to get ahead of as many other cars as possible. It doesn't make any difference in most cases.

What would be really good would be to have all traffic computer controlled. You get in your car, punch in or dictate your destination to the computer, and then let the system do all the effort. Just sit back and be ready to take over if needed but mostly just wait until you arrive. The system would select your route depending on traffic. No stoplights would be required. A proper system would route each vehicle to it's destination with the least amount of waiting.

Just think. No more stupid waiting at a red light and not going, simply because a light is the wrong color. If there is no side traffic there is no need to wait. A proper system would simply let traffic go unless there is a need to wait for other traffic. You could see intersections with vehicles coming from all directions, whizzing right through the intersection and each one missing all others. And no wasted gas.

Until we have that and turn everything over to a big computer, we should do everything possible to save gas, and save the planet.

We are experiencing species loss at an unprecedented rate because humans are not properly organized. This is dumb. We could so use an effective world government about now. Have we not had enough war, destruction, killing and waste?

What would be really good would be to have all traffic computer controlled. You get in your car, punch in or dictate your destination to the computer, and then let the system do all the effort.

Until we have that and turn everything over to a big computer, we should do everything possible to save gas, and save the planet.
Gosh, what could POSSIBLY go wrong with just handing everything over to computers.

Hey little kid that accidentally kicked a ball in the street and ran after it...sorry you're dead...we told all the adults to just hop in their car and turn on a computer and not pay attention.

Sorry Fido that got loose and ran into a road...you're dead too. The computers were driving along preprogrammed routes so the adults were too busy playing on their phones to pay attention to the road. Because the computers were doing it for them.

We, the currently living humans, have no right to consume more than our share of the natural resources, and have have no right to pollute the planet or cause irreparable harm to the habitat, which will impact the lives of those yet to come.

This attitude of "I Got Mine, The Heck With You" is irresponsible and selfish.

Hypermiling is easy, a completely different way of driving. It saves gas and saves money. It saves brakes and tires. And it saves lives.

Aggressive driving is wasteful and dangerous. It needlessly wastes gas and sometimes causes needless deaths. People are simpy in too much of a hurry. It is absolutely ridiculous to see drivers competing with one another for nothing more than position at the next stoplight. Light turns green, everybody goes. Light turns red, everybody stops. There is no need to try to get ahead of as many other cars as possible. It doesn't make any difference in most cases.

What would be really good would be to have all traffic computer controlled. You get in your car, punch in or dictate your destination to the computer, and then let the system do all the effort. Just sit back and be ready to take over if needed but mostly just wait until you arrive. The system would select your route depending on traffic. No stoplights would be required. A proper system would route each vehicle to it's destination with the least amount of waiting.

Just think. No more stupid waiting at a red light and not going, simply because a light is the wrong color. If there is no side traffic there is no need to wait. A proper system would simply let traffic go unless there is a need to wait for other traffic. You could see intersections with vehicles coming from all directions, whizzing right through the intersection and each one missing all others. And no wasted gas.

We are experiencing species loss at an unprecedented rate because humans are not properly organized. This is dumb. We could so use an effective world government about now. Have we not had enough war, destruction, killing and waste?

I don't disagree with you.

Just understand that high gas prices are intentional on the part of Democrats. This is a fact.

It's very simple:

e3fa2f31159ffc4854f95ba1841fe6f3.jpg

That, of course, ignores any other tax revenue generated by state oil/gas production. In Texas, oil and gas direct taxes account for over 10% of total state tax revenue - and that is not counting the oil and gas industry employees contribution to state and local sales and property taxes.

Approximately 85% of Alaska's government is paid for from oil royalties. So they want to see oil prices as high as possible. Alaska places a $0.09/gallon tax on gasoline, which is cheaper than most States, but then again Alaska doesn't have many roads. Alaska measures 1,420 miles from north to south, and 2,500 miles east to west, but only has 1,089 miles of highways (12,418 miles of total rural roads, plus 2,370 miles of total urban roads). Only Hawaii, North Dakota, Vermont, and DC have fewer urban roads than Alaska.

In comparison, Texas has 221,589 miles of rural roads, and 83,683 miles of urban roads.

Quaint and idyllic.

Trying to justify wasteful habits makes them no less wasteful. There needs to be more contribution to society by each individual besides using up some of the resources and eroding away some of the human habitat.

Trying to justify wasteful habits makes them no less wasteful. There needs to be more contribution to society by each individual besides using up some of the resources and eroding away some of the human habitat.

Again, I don't disagree. I'm extremely environmentally aware, conscience, and friendly.

I'm also realistic and understand most people are me, me, me narcissists.

Gosh, what could POSSIBLY go wrong with just handing everything over to computers.

Hey little kid that accidentally kicked a ball in the street and ran after it...sorry you're dead...we told all the adults to just hop in their car and turn on a computer and not pay attention.

Sorry Fido that got loose and ran into a road...you're dead too. The computers were driving along preprogrammed routes so the adults were too busy playing on their phones to pay attention to the road. Because the computers were doing it for them.
Oh, who needs little kids or dogs. What a waste of time and money. Not to mention the worry and stress, too.

Just kidding. Sorry. Couldn't resist. Of course, any such system would have to take that into account. Or simply require that the human occupant of the vehicle be ready and vigilant to hit the brake if needed. Let the computer control everything else, which means that theoretically there would no more vehicle collisions, a huge life savings over the 30K collision deaths per year. Any pedestrians killed would be the fault of the human occupant for not maintaining a proper lookout nor hitting the brake in time, or be simply determined to be the fault of the pedestrian for not yielding to traffic.

Perhaps such a system could entail more barriers or fencing along highways, more education on the importance of avoiding walking out onto a highway. And certainly detection systems which can feed real time usable data into the system to allow it to totally stop or swerve faster than any human could in case of the random child, kid's ball, baby carriage, or whatever entering a lane of travel. Think of all the squirrels which would be saved!

Obviously we are not currently ready for such a modern system, and our ability to create smart machines continues to evolve. Certainly at some point it will be realized that we can create an automatic system which a) more efficiently routes traffic, and b) eliminates vehicle collisions, thus saving thousands of lives every year. At some point we will ask ourselves what is preventing us from progressing.

It's funny that we are not ready to trust computers with such calculations, or ourselves with trying to program the computers to do all that in real time, but we are quite fine with venturing out on a public highway when we know that, at all times, at least some of the other drivers are drunk, on drugs, distracted, emotional, immature, aggressive, criminal minded, or falling asleep.

Cease the war against the oil and gas companies.....let them work....we have plenty of natural gas and oil to not only help us but also our allies. Yet, Biden and the democrats have chosen not to do the right thing, but use the situation, politically to push their "green agenda", while the world watches. Now, soon the dollar will not be the world reserve currency, because of their paranoia of climate change.....the world is about to make drastic changes and it will not be for the "green new deal" cultists. In fact it's because of them, the world will soon see great upheaval.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

There is no war against the oil and gas companies.

Oh, there also isn't any "war on Christmas", in case you were told there was.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

There is no war against the oil and gas companies.

Oh, there also isn't any "war on Christmas", in case you were told there was.

Green New Deal cultists, including Biden are actively fighting a war on fossil fuels....the nutjobs are destroying our planet through insane conspiracy theories, starting wars, and brainwashing the gullible......"life is going to end" NUTJOBS.

Green New Deal cultists, including Biden are actively fighting a war on fossil fuels....the nutjobs are destroying our planet through insane conspiracy theories, starting wars, and brainwashing the gullible......"life is going to end" NUTJOBS.

That is not any evidence of any war on the oil and gas companies.

That is not any evidence of any war on the oil and gas companies.

Sure it is.....when a political candidate promises that there will be no more drilling for oil and gas, then becomes President and enacts policies supporting such attrocities, it is an all out war against oil and gas companies. Meanwhile Biden is on his knees for OPEC, Iran, and Venezuela to drill for more oil.....the hell with the American economy and workers, climate change fanatics and cultists could give a damn about the consequences of their sickening thoughts and actions. "Climate change" is the catalyst to WWIII, for they are going after the worlds major economic means....what do they think some countries would do???....lay there and allow their country to go defunct?

I don't disagree with you.

Just understand that high gas prices are intentional on the part of Democrats. This is a fact.
That sounds like right wing talk pundit BS.

Back
Top Bottom