• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary?

Should College Athletes Be Paid a Salary? (multiple choice)

• Yes

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • They should be able to work

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • They should be able to market their likeness/autographs

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Boosters should be allowed to pay them

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

MarineTpartier

Haters gon' hate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I was listening to ESPN radio today and heard something I didn't know about college athletes. They are not able to be employed, not even part time, by anyone while school is in session including during spring break. How are these kids supposed to make any money to support themselves? Think if a poor kid with a single mother who is barely paying the electric bill sends her son off to school. The kid gets room, food, and an education. And that's it. No entertainment, nothing. Also, college athletes cannot make any money off of their likeness, autographs, etc. So, should college athletes be paid a salary, be able to work, be able to make money off of their likeness/autographs, or a combo of some of those?

yes, they should be paid, and they should be able to profit from the use of their likenesses.

Look at the revenue they make for the school. No questions they should get at least a little compensation.

Absolutely, the NCAA treats their athletes very poorly, and it's a shame that they are making millions off of these athletes when a lot of them are poor.

I was listening to ESPN radio today and heard something I didn't know about college athletes. They are not able to be employed, not even part time, by anyone while school is in session including during spring break. How are these kids supposed to make any money to support themselves? Think if a poor kid with a single mother who is barely paying the electric bill sends her son off to school. The kid gets room, food, and an education. And that's it. No entertainment, nothing. Also, college athletes cannot make any money off of their likeness, autographs, etc. So, should college athletes be paid a salary, be able to work, be able to make money off of their likeness/autographs, or a combo of some of those?

NCAA student athletes are not barred from employment, but there are strict rules that need to be followed...

No, they shouldn't. First of all, they already are - they get a full ride, room, board, etc. at a university for four years, which has a value of upwards of 100,000 dollars. Second, if you do it for college football, you have to do it for everything - thanks to Title 9. The problem is that football is the only real revenue sport out there, outside of basketball for many schools. You can't legally give money to football players, then not give money to girls softball players, water polo players, volleyball players, lacrosse players, etc.

If you start paying football players and men's basketball players, expect a lot of sports to suddenly get cut from the college ranks.

Personally, I believe they should be able to market their likeness/autographs without the school logo involved. It is THEIR likeness after all. I also believe they should be allowed to work. They should not receive a salary nor should boosters be allowed to pay them. Most people believe that if you say they can work, boosters will just funnel the money through one of their businesses. That is true. However, we need to stop thinking in terms of big time football and basketball players. That's what most people think. They think of the freshman quarterback driving to school in a Bentley when he just came from a home in the ghettos of Chicago with a mom working 3 jobs 2 weeks ago. But what about the kid on swim team or the tennis team. He's not getting booster money. Even the kid riding the bench on the football team is seeing no money. Those are the kids that should be allowed to work.

No, I don't want players to be able to profit from everything. I kinda like seeing Ohio State and every SEC school on probation.

Look at the revenue they make for the school. No questions they should get at least a little compensation.
They do, in a scholarship. If they aren't on scholarship, they aren't generating any money. People come to see the best play. The best are on scholarship.

No, I don't want players to be able to profit from everything. I kinda like seeing Ohio State and every SEC school on probation.

Why the hate for the SEC?

They do, in a scholarship. If they aren't on scholarship, they aren't generating any money. People come to see the best play. The best are on scholarship.

A scholarship is not a fair compensation. They are there because they are the best, and are expected to perform like the best. This means that they are barely passing classes, putting less into the educational side, then what happens if they are not good enough for the NFL or get injured and have to retire? They are left degreeless and with nowhere to go while the school gets off free to do it again.

Everybody hates the SEC dude lol. I live in the heart of SEC country and the haters hate. Of course, when your conference pretty much smokes all challengers, that's what happens.

I don't think this is an easy one to answer. In most cases, the student athletes you're talking about are the high profile ones in big program football and to a lesser extent basketball, and most of these student athletes are in there on a full free ride for a three or four year program - that's big money in most of these universities and if you get that ride at a major educational institution like a Notre Dame that education is even more valuable in the long run. These students wouldn't be able to afford their education without the scholarship programs.

Secondly, student athletes are theoretically supposed to be students first and athletes second. As such, they should be concentrating on their studies during the school year, not out looking to make money. Everything they need is provided for them by the program.

I would, however, say that there should be some type of "bonus" paid to these student athletes at the end of their program if they get their degree and leave in good standing. Again, using Notre Dame as an example, the football program takes in hundreds of millions of dollars each year from various sources and most of the students on the team don't go on to play in the NFL and get big contracts. They are set for life in the job market with their degree, but it's not the same. Even something like a $50,000 "parting gift" would be great, in my view, to help set them on their way and help transition from school to the workplace whatever their career path takes.

Between all these damned rednecks down here bickering with each other and on Finebaum, the rampant cheating, and that atrocious game against my Wolverines in Dallas, I grow a little tired of it. School book selling scandals, stolen laptops, selling your autograph, shopping your son to the highest bidder. Starting to think that Vanderbilt is the last bastion of fair play.

Everybody hates the SEC dude lol. I live in the heart of SEC country and the haters hate. Of course, when your conference pretty much smokes all challengers, that's what happens.

Oh, I know, but one should encourage their conference to compete, not be jealous of the last seven BCS titles...

Between all these damned rednecks down here bickering with each other and on Finebaum, the rampant cheating, and that atrocious game against my Wolverines in Dallas, I grow a little tired of it. School book selling scandals, stolen laptops, selling your autograph, shopping your son to the highest bidder. Starting to think that Vanderbilt is the last bastion of fair play.

No conference is immune from unethical incidences. Just as USC had to vacate their 2004 BCS title and all wins that season as well

A scholarship is not a fair compensation. They are there because they are the best, and are expected to perform like the best. This means that they are barely passing classes, putting less into the educational side, then what happens if they are not good enough for the NFL or get injured and have to retire? They are left degreeless and with nowhere to go while the school gets off free to do it again.
Dude, have you seen how much it costs to go to college lately? That is PLENTY of compensation. And if they don't get their degree, that's their fault. Many, many good athletes have 4.0 GPA's and go on to be NFL players. If they get injured, a lot of schools will continue to honor the scholarship. However, they should not be required to because it is an athletic scholarship after all. If the kid can't play, then he doesn't get the scholarship. However, I do believe the university should be responsible for his health care related to that injury. I'm ignorant of those rules and would have to look it up.

I think functionally it would be a mess, but philosophically yes they should. It's their work and their sweat filling the seats, promoting the school, and bringing in the donations.

Vanderbilt just had a huge sexual assault controversy.......

Oh, I know, but one should encourage their conference to compete, not be jealous of the last seven BCS titles...

Auburn's was bought and paid for. They should be thankful that Rogers reneged on the deal with Mississippi State.

Then there's Urban's tarnished titles. Fortunately he'll drag that cheater college in Columbus down into probation hell.

That school up in Tuscaloosa should also be thankful that that Little Debbie-eatin mofo got essentially kicked out of the NFL for some really slimy tactics. Fortunately he stopped being the laughing stock when Petrino pinned the tail on himself.

No. Opens up too many cans of worms.:peace

The scholarship that they get is compensation enough. If not, then they need to take out loans/get a job like the rest of us. But there is one area where I disagree. If the school continues to use their likeness after graduation (say like in Madden/etc), then that person should get compensation. Just because you played sports at that school, doesn't mean they own you forever.

I disagree. Plenty of athletes have graduated college while playing football. Those that didn't isn't the schools fault.

Dude, have you seen how much it costs to go to college lately? That is PLENTY of compensation. And if they don't get their degree, that's their fault. Many, many good athletes have 4.0 GPA's and go on to be NFL players. If they get injured, a lot of schools will continue to honor the scholarship. However, they should not be required to because it is an athletic scholarship after all. If the kid can't play, then he doesn't get the scholarship. However, I do believe the university should be responsible for his health care related to that injury. I'm ignorant of those rules and would have to look it up.

Have you seen the profits of the schools and NCAA? They can afford to compensate a little more for the people that bring in that revenue. LSU alone made almost 70 million in revenue in the 2009-2010 season. How much did the people who got them that get? None.

Auburn's was bought and paid for. They should be thankful that Rogers reneged on the deal with Mississippi State.

Then there's Urban's tarnished titles. Fortunately he'll drag that cheater college in Columbus down into probation hell.

That school up in Tuscaloosa should also be thankful that that Little Debbie-eatin mofo got essentially kicked out of the NFL for some really slimy tactics. Fortunately he stopped being the laughing stock when Petrino pinned the tail on himself.

I'll agree Urban does have some discipline concerns

Back
Top Bottom