• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should chronic self-abusers have access to government health care?

(See body of 1st post for question)

• Total voters

M14 Shooter

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Your next door neighbor has lung cancer from smoking, heart disease from over-eating, HIV from IV drug use, and has literally been grafted to his couch because all he does is watch TV.

Should he be able to send you the bill for his health care costs?

Your next door neighbor has lung cancer from smoking, heart disease from over-eating, HIV from IV drug use, and has literally been grafted to his couch because all he does is watch TV.

Should taxpayers pay for his health care costs?

IMHO, heath problems caused by people deliberatly abusing themselves shoud not be covered by public heath care. There's no reason I should be forced to pay for your poor choices.

What, the conservatives don't think he has a right to life? :doh

M14 Shooter said:

Should he be able to send you the bill for his health care costs?

Is there a poll? I have zero sympathy for someone who has any sort of disease as a result of smoking. Same goes for over-eating and IV drug use. I don't think I should have to pay more $$$ so that those who don't take care of themselves can be treated.

What happened to the poll?

There should be a Yes/No option.

M14 Shooter said:

Should taxpayers pay for his health care costs?

IMHO, heath problems caused by people deliberatly abusing themselves shoud not be covered by public heath care. There's no reason I should be forced to pay for your poor choices.

If they have paid into these benifits through years of working and paying taxes then I guess I don't see why not. If your given the oppurtunity to opt out of paying for these programs then no. But why should someone pay into a system they can't use in the future

Calm2Chaos said:
If they have paid into these benifits through years of working and paying taxes then I guess I don't see why not. If your given the oppurtunity to opt out of paying for these programs then no. But why should someone pay into a system they can't use in the future

You're operating under the assumption that you 'pay into' a system that creates a pool of money for you, which you draw from later. That's not the case. All public health care programs are pay-as-you-go, where the money coming in covers the money going out -- just like any other welfare program.

M14 Shooter said:
You're operating under the assumption that you 'pay into' a system that creates a pool of money for you, which you draw from later. That's not the case. All public health care programs are pay-as-you-go, where the money coming in covers the money going out -- just like any other welfare program.

Are they or are they not funded by tax dollars?

[/Moderator mode]
M14,
You had two identical threads here so I merged them.
[/Moderator mode]

Calm2Chaos said:
Are they or are they not funded by tax dollars?

The are funded by tax dollars - but that's not the argument you made.
In theory, medicare, soc sec, etc, are programs where the money you pay in eventually comes back out, with some interest. In reality, that's not what happens - the money I pay in today covers your grandmother tomorrow.

I interpret your original statement as assuming the former rather than the latter.

mixedmedia said:
[/Moderator mode]
M14,
You had two identical threads here so I merged them.
[/Moderator mode]

Thanks... I think...:shock:

M14 Shooter said:
The are funded by tax dollars - but that's not the argument you made.
In theory, medicare, soc sec, etc, are programs where the money you pay in eventually comes back out, with some interest. In reality, that's not what happens - the money I pay in today covers your grandmother tomorrow.

I interpret your original statement as assuming the former rather than the latter.

I am not going to act as If I know how the funding for these programs goes. And how the tax funding from one person or generation to another is used. I do know that over $135 billion of the revenue generated for these programs have been generated through payroll taxes.

I am simply saying that if my tax dollars are going to be used to fund this service I should be allowed to access it when neccesay for my own well being. Regaurdless of what you think of my personal practices or lifestyle.

Some of you people are downright callous.

How about we add a side facet to this situation. What if a chronic smoker were having respiratory problems but in lieu of getting treatment from TAX PAYERS money they would sign a waiver that they would go through a rehabilitation center and quit?

Certainly, that at the very least has to appeal to your compassionate side?

M14 Shooter said:
Thanks... I think...:shock:

/Moderator mode/
You had two identical threads in this forum, one with a poll, one without. Both had been contributed to, so I thought merging them would be best. Let me know if you think I made an error. I'm a little new at this. :smile:
/Moderator mode/

Of course they should have access to medicaid, what should happen; let them suffer and die, because they made some bad choices in life? That is cruel and unusual punishment. Are you perfect by the way, of course not. I guess you should just suffer and starve.

mixedmedia said:
/Moderator mode/
You had two identical threads in this forum, one with a poll, one without. Both had been contributed to, so I thought merging them would be best. Let me know if you think I made an error. I'm a little new at this. :smile:
/Moderator mode/

No - I just wondered how I would up with two posts. The one I saw didnt have a poll, and I knew I posted one with a poll.

A glitch. No biggie. Thanks for your help.

M14 Shooter said:
No - I just wondered how I would up with two posts. The one I saw didnt have a poll, and I knew I posted one with a poll.

A glitch. No biggie. Thanks for your help.

/Moderator mode/
S'alright :2wave:
/Moderator mode/

alphieb said:
Of course they should have access to medicaid, what should happen; let them suffer and die, because they made some bad choices in life? That is cruel and unusual punishment. Are you perfect by the way, of course not. I guess you should just suffer and starve.

Just to be clear:
You are OK with someone else repeatedly abusing himself and handing you the bill for his health care costs. Right?

SixStringHero said:
Some of you people are downright callous.

How about we add a side facet to this situation. What if a chronic smoker were having respiratory problems but in lieu of getting treatment from TAX PAYERS money they would sign a waiver that they would go through a rehabilitation center and quit?

Certainly, that at the very least has to appeal to your compassionate side?

The question boils down to this:
Should you be forced to pay for my poor choices?

I've voted the big nyet to the comrades that think that "self-abusers" should be the tax payers responsibility. If they're an adult, they're their own responsibility.

(Anybody else think that self-abusers=masturbators?

No?

Just me?

Oh, great, I guess I'm the pervert.)

M14 Shooter said:
Just to be clear:
You are OK with someone else repeatedly abusing himself and handing you the bill for his health care costs. Right?

Perhaps, the abuser was a tax payer him/herself for years. Hey, if we can aid people in other countries why should we not take care of our own?

alphieb said:
Perhaps, the abuser was a tax payer him/herself for years.
How does that address the question?
Because he HAS paid for others does not mean he SHOULD pay for others (or that others should pay for him).

Certainly there has to be an extenuating circumstance or other stipulations that could be put in place such as the example I gave in my previous post.

Why not help someone who agrees that they will rehabilitate in order to receive these benefits?

I's just not a black and white issue to me.

SixStringHero said:
Certainly there has to be an extenuating circumstance or other stipulations that could be put in place such as the example I gave in my previous post.
No there doesn't.
Its not a question if the person will stop abusing himself, its a question if other people should be forced to pay the abuse he's already created.

Why not help someone who agrees that they will rehabilitate in order to receive these benefits?
Why should you be forced to pay for my mistakes?

alphieb said:
Perhaps, the abuser was a tax payer him/herself for years. Hey, if we can aid people in other countries why should we not take care of our own?

This is something I have to agree with.

Why can't we take care of our people in this country instead of spending millions in foreign aid?

Back
Top Bottom