• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should children be taught the proper use of firearms at an early age?

Should we teach children how to safely handle firearms?

• Yes

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters
Stace said:
McCoy.....have you tried Firefox? One window, but multiple tabs....'tis an excellent browser.:mrgreen:

Personally, I like Opera. I'm think the mouse controls for surfing are great. It also has multiple tabs.

George_Washington said:
You tell me: What are the differences? Could it be that people can be actually be trusted to exercise personality responsibility with firearms?
I don't know what the differences are, that is why I was asking Tashah. She has lived here and there. Are you supposing that knowing how to responsibly use a firearm automatically makes you a better person?

Relative ease of our lives? I don't know what you're talking about. Most Americans aren't pampered brats. That's really a rather bland stereostype that has no legitimate comparison to reality. Many Americans are hard workers. I'm a hard worker. You think I'm just sitting on my ass all day? I busted my hump to get through college and now I work at least 8 hours a day. And if you mean Americans don't have to grow up in violent atmospheres, well you're wrong. There are some very violent and poor neighborhoods in this country. You think America is just one big resort? I have been to a lot of different places in this country. I've seen rich people and I've seen some very, very poor people. I mean look at how the poor people that got caught in Hurricane Katrina have to live. The thing is, some people in America have it really tough. I think that teaching people how to properly use firearms will only allow them to avoid dangerous situations.
You simplify my theory here. I am not talking about rich or poor. Hard-working or not. I am talking about our self-obsessed culture. I wish I had more time to go into it right now, but if you are interested at all in my views on this, I will happy to write more when I have time. If not, I'd rather save my fingers for more productive typing sessions. :2wave:

Stace said:
McCoy.....have you tried Firefox? One window, but multiple tabs....'tis an excellent browser.:mrgreen:

MrFungus420 said:
Personally, I like Opera. I'm think the mouse controls for surfing are great. It also has multiple tabs.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check em out. :smile:

mixedmedia said:
I don't know what the differences are, that is why I was asking Tashah. She has lived here and there. Are you supposing that knowing how to responsibly use a firearm automatically makes you a better person?

While I wouldn't say it will make you a better person, I will say in my opinion knowledge is always better than ignorance. I can think of no case where one would be glad they did not know how to responsibly use a firearm. I can thing of very many where they would be glad they did know how.

All children, everywhere, should be taught, at a level appropriate to their age, how to safely deal with a firearm. No exceptions.

If you aren't teaching your kid these skills, then you're an irresponsible parent -- you're denying him information that may very well save his life.

M14 Shooter said:
All children, everywhere, should be taught, at a level appropriate to their age, how to safely deal with a firearm. No exceptions.

If you aren't teaching your kid these skills, then you're an irresponsible parent -- you're denying him information that may very well save his life.
Teach your children if you must, but to say that another parent is irresponsible if they don't is being a little generous with your own opinion on a subject that is about personal freedom. Right? :roll:
I haven't taught my children to stab someone or beat them to death with a baseball bat either.

mixedmedia said:
Teach your children if you must, but to say that another parent is irresponsible if they don't is being a little generous with your own opinion on a subject that is about personal freedom. Right? :roll:
I haven't taught my children to stab someone or beat them to death with a baseball bat either.

But, have you taught you children how to properly handle a knife? You know, not to grab the blade, hand it to people handle first, not to run with it, carry it blade down, etc.

mixedmedia said:
Teach your children if you must, but to say that another parent is irresponsible if they don't is being a little generous with your own opinion on a subject that is about personal freedom. Right?

Nope.

You're responsible for the safety of your kids. No argument regarding personal freedom abrogates that responsibility.

If you arent teaching them the things they need to protect themselves, then you arent being responsible.

How is that relevant?

Not teaching your children to shoot a weapon is in no way irresponsible. Not locking your weapon in a child-proof cabinet or closet is irresponsible.

Not teaching your child how to clean and handle a gun is not irresponsible. Not teaching your child about the dangers of a firearm is irresponsible.

Not taking your child target practicing or skeet shooting is not irresponsible. Not teaching your child that human beings are not targets is irresponsible.

It is up to the parent to decide what level of contact their children have with firearms and at what age. The issue of bearing arms is one of personal freedom and some people find themselves more liberated by not having exposure to the weapon. It just has to be recognized that there are those among us who take that right to bear arms very seriously and they must be respected also.

jallman said:
Not teaching your children to shoot a weapon is in no way irresponsible.
Who said anything about teaching them how to shoot?

Not teaching your child how to clean a gun is not irresponsible.
Who said anything about teaching them how to clean a gun?

Not taking your child target practicing or skeet shooting is not irresponsible.
Who said anything about taking them to targte practice or skeet shooting?

Not teaching your child that human beings are not targets is irresponsible.
No....
Not teaching them when human beings ARE targets is irresponsible...

MrFungus420 said:
But, have you taught you children how to properly handle a knife? You know, not to grab the blade, hand it to people handle first, not to run with it, carry it blade down, etc.
Right, and they are around knives everyday in our kitchen. We do not have a gun. Like I said earlier, I have never held a gun in my life.

jallman said:
Not teaching your child how to clean and handle a gun is not irresponsible. Not teaching your child about the dangers of a firearm is irresponsible.

Who's advocating NOT teaching children about the dangers of firearms?!

jallman said:
Not taking your child target practicing or skeet shooting is not irresponsible. Not teaching your child that human beings are not targets is irresponsible.

Someone who's threatening your life or the life of another IS a target.

M14 Shooter said:
Nope.

You're responsible for the safety of your kids. No argument regarding personal freedom abrogates that responsibility.
There is no guarantee that owning a gun or knowing how to use one will save your life. Just as you can be the best and safest driver in the world and still die in an automobile. Whether to own and operate firearms is a personal choice. The expression of my freedom. I don't begrudge you yours.

If you arent teaching them the things they need to protect themselves, then you arent being responsible.
See above.

How is that relevant?
Could they not protect themselves with a knife or a bat?

M14 Shooter said:
Who said anything about teaching them how to shoot?

The poll itself did. Safely shooting a firearm is proper use.

Who said anything about teaching them how to clean a gun?

I am not sure how your dad taught you to handle a gun, but keeping my rifle clean was a big part of the lesson.

Who said anything about taking them to targte practice or skeet shooting?

One would assume that proper use of a firearm involves some sort of practice.

No....
Not teaching them when human beings ARE targets is irresponsible...

:doh I'm sorry, I thought this was a reasonable discussion about early aged children. I am not sure what kind of parent you are, but I do not think it is reasonable to place that kind of power of judgement on a child for a plethora of reasons. Do we really need to go into them or can you just concede that you were being argumentative.

jallman said:
The poll itself did. Safely shooting a firearm is proper use.
Not for a three year old. Or maybe a 5 year old. Or even some 12 year olds.

I am not sure how your dad taught you to handle a gun, but keeping my rifle clean was a big part of the lesson.
A three-year old doesn't have to know how to clean a gun to know how to properly handle it.

One would assume that proper use of a firearm involves some sort of practice.
A three-year old doesn't have to engage in target practice to know how to properly handle it.

You're asuming that "proper use" means "how to shoot".

You're discounting the possibility that "proper use" for some people may never involve shooting; rather, it may involve how to safely handle and/or make safe a firearm so that it wont harm anyone.

Teaching kids how to safely deal with a firearm, depending on their age and maturity level IS "proper use" and doesnt at all necessarily involve ever discharging a firearm.

:doh I'm sorry, I thought this was a reasonable discussion about early aged children.
It is.
And telling them that a human is NEVER a target is especially dangerous, given that little kids tend to remember things like that.

We have the right to arms so that we might apply deadly force against other people when necessary. Telling kids that you NEVER use a gun on people negates that premise.

M14 Shooter said:
Not for a three year old. Or maybe a 5 year old. Or even some 12 year olds.

A three year old should not be handling a gun to start with. Goes back to that whole having your guns locked away thing. ;)

A three-year old doesn't have to know how to clean a gun to know how to properly handle it.

Again, a three year old should not be handling a gun.

A three-year old doesn't have to engage in target practice to know how to properly handle it.

You're asuming that "proper use" means "how to shoot".

You're discounting the possibility that "proper use" for some people may never involve shooting; rather, it may involve how to safely handle and/or make safe a firearm so that it wont harm anyone.

Proper use is how to discharge the firearm safely and directed at the intended target. This isnt even arguable.

Teaching kids how to safely deal with a firearm, depending on their age and maturity level IS "proper use" and doesnt at all necessarily involve ever discharging a firearm.

Sure. And you can hold a piece of meat to a dog's nose and expect he wont try to eat it right? You cant expect me to buy into the idea that a child will not want to discharge the firearm. I am so sure the safety latch will keep his/her attention.

It is.
And telling them that a human is NEVER a target is especially dangerous, given that little kids tend to remember things like that.

Kids also tend to set milk and cookies out for Santa on Christmas Eve, but they grow out of that. Likewise, the grow into the knowledge that humans can make themselves a threat. However, at an early age, I just dont feel its proper to introduce that concept along with a firearm. One would think that concept is on the first page of "Parenting for Dummies".

We have the right to arms so that we might apply deadly force against other people when necessary. Telling kids that you NEVER use a gun on people negates that premise.

Telling KIDS that you never use a gun on people is just good parenting. Kid yourself all you want, but anyone who introduces that idea to an early aged child is not fit to have the privilege of raising a child at all.

mixedmedia said:
There is no guarantee that owning a gun or knowing how to use one will save your life.
OK..
But knowing how to safely handle one certainly increases the odds.

Whether to own and operate firearms is a personal choice. The expression of my freedom. I don't begrudge you yours.
I dont begrudge you your choice... but understand that your home is not the only place your kids might come into contact with a gun.

Because YOU dont have them in no way means they dont need to know how to deal with them because YOU not having them in no way means they wont be faces with a situation where they need to know what to do. If you dont teach them how to deal with them, then you arent bring responsible.

Uh-oh...I agree with M-14.....

Anyone who has even a small gun in their house has an obligation to teach their children about guns. This doesn't mean they have to go shoot one. My kids know about not talking to strangers, but I didn't drag a stranger over to scare them first.

ngdawg said:
Uh-oh...I agree with M-14.....

Anyone who has even a small gun in their house has an obligation to teach their children about guns. This doesn't mean they have to go shoot one. My kids know about not talking to strangers, but I didn't drag a stranger over to scare them first.

I don't have a gun in my house. That's not what he's saying. He's saying that every child in America should be taught to handle a gun. I disagree with this assessment.

M14 Shooter said:

I think that jallman's primary concern is the fact that a small child may not have yet divelloped the proper judgment and discipline so as to determin what is a vallid threat and what is not.

Perhaps you could give us an appropriate link on how to instruct a small child in threat assessment? That may help.

jallman said:
A three year old should not be handling a gun to start with. Goes back to that whole having your guns locked away thing. ;)
And so, what's the proper thing to teach your three year old about guns?

Proper use is how to discharge the firearm safely and directed at the intended target. This isnt even arguable.
What about how to safely handle a firearm when not shooting it?
Or how to safely handle a firearm that you 'find'?
Or what to do when his friend wants to play with his dad's gun?
All of these things, and more, fall under safe, proper use.

Now, why shouldn't EVERY kid know what to do when he finds a gun or sees someone using one unsafely?

Sure. And you can hold a piece of meat to a dog's nose and expect he wont try to eat it right? You cant expect me to buy into the idea that a child will not want to discharge the firearm. I am so sure the safety latch will keep his/her attention.
That depends entirely on the kid and the level of training he has received.

Kids also tend to set milk and cookies out for Santa on Christmas Eve, but they grow out of that.
Santa goes away. The idea of killing people doesnt.

However, at an early age, I just dont feel its proper to introduce that concept along with a firearm. One would think that concept is on the first page of "Parenting for Dummies".
I guess -my- kids are smart enough to ask "If you arent supposed to shoot people with them, why do cops and army guys have them?"

mixedmedia said:
Tashah said:
I will say this. Despite the fact (or because of the fact) that almost all Israelis possess lethal weapons, violent crime using a weapon is almost unknown in Israel. No strong-arm robberies or muggings, bank robberies, sexual assaults, carjackings etc. Draw your own conclusions.
Why do you suppose this is, Tashah? You live both here and in Israel, right? What differences do you see that might account for this disparity in violent crime?
Good question. One portion of the answer rests in culture. Israelis would much rather obtain the education to manage a bank than consider hair-brained schemes on how to rob one.

Another portion of the answer derives from mandatory military service... and the fact that all reservists train during a portion of the year and are subject to immediate activation in a crisis. Since no one knows what tomorrow may bring militarily, why would anyone be inclined to decrease their odds of survival by engaging in stupid and rash criminal endeavor?

Another factor is that a fair proportion of Israelis have witnessed terrorism first-hand as civilians and therefore, in potentially violent situations... many civilians will not hesitate to shoot first and tally the consequences later. Actually, it is a form of preemption. If you violently threaten people in Israel, your odds of surviving are very slim. Criminal types are very aware of this mindset and thus willingly settle for non-violent forms of crime, i.e. fraud, counterfitting, embezzlement, pickpocketing etc.

Busta said:
Perhaps you could give us an appropriate link on how to instruct a small child in threat assessment? That may help.

I have to have a link?

First and foremost, you have to teach them safety, at a level appropriate to their age. You need not go any further than that.

Withouth being specific as to ages:
-For the youngest, you teach them to not touch the gun, get away from annyone that is touching the gun, and to go tell an adult.
-For older kids, you teach them how to safely clear the gun and make it safe, and then go find an adult.

Why shouldn't EVERY kid know these things?
How can you be a responsible parent if you DON'T teach these things?

mixedmedia said:
I don't have a gun in my house. That's not what he's saying. He's saying that every child in America should be taught to handle a gun. I disagree with this assessment.
I agree with M-14 here.
Along the same lines of preparedness, a child old enough to physically do so should know how to drive, even if they are years away from getting a drivers license or a car. You never know what life will throw your way.......

M14 Shooter said:
I have to have a link?

First and foremost, you have to teach them safety, at a level appropriate to their age. You need not go any further than that.

Withouth being specific as to ages:
-For the youngest, you teach them to not touch the gun, get away from annyone that is touching the gun, and to go tell an adult.
-For older kids, you teach them how to safely clear the gun and make it safe, and then go find an adult.

Why shouldn't EVERY kid know these things?
How can you be a responsible parent if you DON'T teach these things?
No no, you don't have to provide a link......I'm just perpetually in the market for child rearing material is all.

Back
Top Bottom