• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should children be taught how to play with guns at a very early age?

Should children be taught how to play with guns at a very young age?

• yes, only if they are gang members

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, only if they want to play cops and robbers with the neighbor kids

• yes, only if they display violent behavior

• no, that could pose a threat to themselves or someone else

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alphieb

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Should parents teach their children about guns and violence and how to utilize a gun at a very early age? Me thinks that is a little dangerous.

Only a complete, mindless idiot would ever imply on infer that anyone, at any age, should ever consider playing with a gun.

M14 Shooter said:
Only a complete, mindless idiot would ever imply on infer that anyone, at any age, should ever consider playing with a gun.

A parent that shows a child how to use a gun is taking a risk that the child will be curious and use it or try to use it as a toy. That is the risk you are taking. All kids are different and you can't predict how they will react to that so called education.

alphieb said:
A parent that shows a child how to use a gun is taking a risk that the child will be curious and use it or try to use it as a toy. That is the risk you are taking. All kids are different and you can't predict how they will react to that so called education.

None of which as anything to do with what I said, or what you asked.

M14 Shooter said:
None of which as anything to do with what I said, or what you asked.

Perhaps, I was a little out of line, but I feel strongly about keeping guns away from kids. I have known kids to die by misuse of guns. We have all heard about kids coming to school with guns. If guns were not in the homes, maybe this kind of activity would be deterred. These are circular arguments in which I am done with. I made my point.

alphieb said:
Perhaps, I was a little out of line, but I feel strongly about keeping guns away from kids. I have known kids to die by misuse of guns. We have all heard about kids coming to school with guns. If guns were not in the homes, maybe this kind of activity would be deterred. These are circular arguments in which I am done with. I made my point.

Yes.
And you made mine, too.

M14 Shooter said:
Yes.
And you made mine, too.

Please tune into Fox News. TOPIC: SCHOOL SHOOTING LONGWOOD, FLORIDA; INJURIES, I rest my case, thank you for your time.

Wow, hey, how about instead of making our case in the thread already provided for said topic we introduce useless duplicate threads to clutter up the forums? Then we can get a false feeling of self importance and a sense that we've actually accomplished something when in reality all we've done is create junk

That's a great idea.

M14 Shooter said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, there are lots of complete, mindless idiots out there that do just that. For example.

I'm embarrassed to say I used to identify with the LP.

Kandahar said:
Agreed. Unfortunately, there are lots of complete, mindless idiots out there that do just that. For example.

I'm embarrassed to say I used to identify with the LP.

I remember seeing this on The Daily Show awhile back......I thought it was just one of those segments they were completely making up!

Why don't we take a look at Switzerland where every adult male is given a fire arm to keep in their own home after given proper training on use of that fire arm.

They also teach their children at a young the proper use and techniques of using a fire arm. Virtually no violent crime occurs in that country or school style shootings which happen from time to time over here.

Why such the discrepancy between our country and theirs?

And I do believe that kids should be taught the proper uses of fire arms at a young age, especially if you are going to keep one around in the home.

Blind man said:
Wow, hey, how about instead of making our case in the thread already provided for said topic we introduce useless duplicate threads to clutter up the forums? Then we can get a false feeling of self importance and a sense that we've actually accomplished something when in reality all we've done is create junk

That's a great idea.

If you call the safety of children junk that is your problem. There was just a shooting today in a Florida school.

SixStringHero said:
Why don't we take a look at Switzerland where every adult male is given a fire arm to keep in their own home after given proper training on use of that fire arm.

They also teach their children at a young the proper use and techniques of using a fire arm. Virtually no violent crime occurs in that country or school style shootings which happen from time to time over here.

And I do believe that kids should be taught the proper uses of fire arms at a young age, especially if you are going to keep one around in the home.

I cant help but say that I agree with SixStringHero. The reason that other countries that keep guns in there homes with no violence present is simple: they have a very different way of life. Life in America is seemingly much more stressful and there seems to be less moral values around.
Also, the media controls what they want you to know. For all we know, there could of been a massacre in Switzerland, but we may never know.

Im agreeing with you Mr. Six but I also have to state that another part of me disagrees. I agreed with you because I always assume that people have common sence, and I have learned that is not the case in society. Yes, teach a kid a gun, but in America, yoiu have people that dont know how to handle situations. There for, you will have more crimes in schools and such. Unless they put up metal detectors, and much more security.

This is just a thought.

SixStringHero said:

The problem is that for every Switzerland, there's a Japan. Japan has very strict gun laws and it also has very little crime. You can cite foreign countries to "prove" either side of this debate. I don't think one single policy toward gun ownership works equally well everywhere in the world. There are some places (urban areas) where gun control laws do seem to reduce crime. There are other places (suburban and rural areas) where gun control laws cause more crime.

I generally support the right to bear arms, but I see no reason to adopt either extreme of this issue. I say that the federal government should stay out of it and let the states and local governments set their own policies on gun control. It's simply intellectual laziness to assume that what works in West Virginia would work equally well in Detroit, or vice versa.

Kandahar said:
I say that the federal government should stay out of it and let the states and local governments set their own policies on gun control. It's simply intellectual laziness to assume that what works in West Virginia would work equally well in Detroit, or vice versa.
As long as it doesn't infringe upon a citizen's 2nd amendment right to own a gun, I agree with you. That's my litmus test for laws on gun control.

alphieb said:
If you call the safety of children junk that is your problem. There was just a shooting today in a Florida school.

Discussing the topic at hand is not junk. making a new thread when one already exists for some unknown narcissistic reason is beyond me. If you are unable to make your point in the pre-existing thread what gives you the idea you will be any more effective in a new one with your name on the title? "boo hoo I don't like the phraseology of the other thread so I wil start a new one." cry me a river. Want people to respect your views? Then respect the fact that there are other important issues on the first page and you could be stifling discussion of them because you think this subject is sooo much more important you felt the need to have two threads on it in the same forum.

alphieb said:

The only shooting came from a cop when that idiot 8th grader threatened him with a pellet gun.

No one of any age should play with guns.
Guns are dangerous tools that can kill or maim.
They should only be handled with care and mindfulness - not played with.
Next question.

M14 Shooter said:

I agree, this is a stupid thread started by someone who was getting thrashed daily on the legitimate thread on a "similar" subject:rofl :spin:

alphieb said:

Should parents teach their children about guns and violence and how to utilize a gun at a very early age? Me thinks that is a little dangerous.
Parents should not let their children play with guns.Letting children play with guns would suggest that firearms are toys.When a child reaches a certian age he should be taught gun safety and how to properly handle and fire a firearm.

jamesrage said:
Parents should not let their children play with guns.Letting children play with guns would suggest that firearms are toys.When a child reaches a certian age he should be taught gun safety and how to properly handle and fire a firearm.

that's alot of wisdom to waste on a thread that was started in total silliness:mrgreen:

Well, if y'all have such a problem with the thread....what are you doing on it?

No one said you had to post here.

Stace said:
Well, if y'all have such a problem with the thread....what are you doing on it?

No one said you had to post here.

Look at my profile, I am hunting on a baited field:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom