• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should children be taught how to play with guns at a very early age?

Should children be taught how to play with guns at a very young age?

• yes, only if they are gang members

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, only if they want to play cops and robbers with the neighbor kids

• yes, only if they display violent behavior

• no, that could pose a threat to themselves or someone else

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's a loaded question.

If anyone is already in the house and quickly closing in, a trained adult probably wouldn't even have time to draw a side arm from their hip, let alone go to the safe and bring out a gun.

At that point, no matter who you are, it's hand to hand time...and 5 y/o can pouch an intruder in a nuts and run for help just as well as anyone else.

Really? Fine. I'll rephrase :

How well trained is your child that fear is a non-issue when his home is being invaded?

========================================================

Even with training it's not guaranteed that a child's first reaction will be to grab one of the firearms in his household. I am even willing to be that in the majority of cases the reaction of the children in the household will be to cower in fear. Even with training.

Yeah I mean obviously a 7-8 year olds first thought will be "gotta get the M16!". I'd love to know just how tough this child is that he can make decisions that some soldiers who have been trained can't make. He wouldn't get scared? At all? I for one demand that you(TurtleDude) write down the training you've made your son go through and send it to our foremost scholars on child psychology. I'm sure they'd love to hear how you managed to completely erase fear from a child's mind.
______
I have to disagree with you. Kids as young as 4-5 year olds are taught to call 911 in any emergency and they do. I understand your point about a kid reacting under stress and being scared and all but without the gun being handy we would never know what the stress will do to them.
If that guy had not listened to "the foremost scholars on child phychology" his kids might have been alive today.

______
I have to disagree with you. Kids as young as 4-5 year olds are taught to call 911 in any emergency and they do. I understand your point about a kid reacting under stress and being scared and all but without the gun being handy we would never know what the stress will do to them.

There is quite a bit of difference between a child(not a teenager) calling 9-1-1 and a child thinking "Oh I'll go get the gun!". It's quite a jump. I'm not saying it's implausible I just believe the chances of it happening are slim to none. Not only that but I believe the chances of the child actually pulling the trigger on another human being are even thinner. I doubt that even the most "well trained" of children would take this course of action when faced with an opponent that is 2-3 times their size.

If that guy had not listened to "the foremost scholars on child phychology" his kids might have been alive today.

Opinion or fact?

Last edited:
There is quite a bit of difference between a child calling 9-1-1 and a child thinking "Oh I'll go get the gun!". It's quite a jump. The second is a decision that must adults won't hesitate to make. However I doubt that even the most "well trained" of children would take this course of action when faced with an opponent that is 2-3 times their size.

I would also wonder how many children would misjudge a situation and reach for the gun. A family member forgetting keys and breaking into the dark house through a window for example. Though this scenario happens with adults also, a child will be more likely to pull the trigger early so to not be attacked by someone 2-3 times their size.

There is quite a bit of difference between a child calling 9-1-1 and a child thinking "Oh I'll go get the gun!". It's quite a jump. The second is a decision that must adults won't hesitate to make. However I doubt that even the most "well trained" of children would take this course of action when faced with an opponent that is 2-3 times their size.

Opinion or fact?
_____
That is my opinion.
Is your "However I doubt that even the most "well trained" of children would take this course of action when faced with an opponent that is 2-3 times their size" FACT or OPINION?

_____
That is my opinion.
Is your "However I doubt that even the most "well trained" of children would take this course of action when faced with an opponent that is 2-3 times their size" FACT or OPINION?

I don't claim it is. I claim that it is the most likely of possibilities. Big difference.

Really? Fine. I'll rephrase :

How well trained is your child that fear is a non-issue when his home is being invaded?

========================================================

Even with training it's not guaranteed that a child's first reaction will be to grab one of the firearms in his household. I am even willing to be that in the majority of cases the reaction of the children in the household will be to cower in fear. Even with training.

I would say that in any effective training fear is key, not a non issue.
Fear can be your best friend at times like that.

In any event, you'll have to address that question to the guy who claims to be training his kids down that path. My kids come and let me know if something is going on, and as a responsible, law abiding gun owner I would never let them have ready access to a firearm for use at their discretion.

RL means real life, its internet jargon, like IMO or LOL

I was taught how to fire a rifle before I hit my teens. In fact, my uncles got a distinct kick out of placing the gun in my hands, helping me aim it at the target, then standing back to watch as the kickback knocked my small, skinny self back a few feet and flat on my ***. I remember them just laaauuuughing their butts off.

But, I was taught how to shoot it, how to load it. And how to shoot and load a shotgun. I was not, however, ever allowed access to any guns w/out someone having gotten it and supervising me.

I was also taught how to shoot a bow and arrow quite well, by my great-grandfather. Bow and arrow was my preference, but alas... I wasn't allowed in the archery club because I had boobies.

Anywho... As a teen, my father (who always had a gun on him due to his work) made it clear that under no uncertain terms were we ever to touch his handgun. However, if it had been a life and death situation, I did know where the gun was and would have had no qualms about going and getting it and using it to help save the life of my other family members. I was not "afraid" of the gun, I knew how to load it, I knew how to shoot it. I also knew how to respect it.

If I have children, they will learn how to shoot and handle a gun. They will learn RESPECT for the weapon, as well as the skill necessary to handle it safely. I think children should be educated in what a gun is, what it can do, and how to be safe around them.

Proof? Any studies? Or is this just opinion?

Thank you for acknowledging this.

You haven't answered my question yet. How well trained is your son that when a 210 pound man runs down a hall towards him his first thought will be to get his daddy's shotgun?

you are clearly not understanding reality. under pressure people resort to their training. sometimes that fails. sometimes no matter what you do you lose but your solution-to not train someone is idiotic. My son will have a better chance if that improbable scenario comes to pass then your kid.

He is also training in TKD as well. Discipline and the ability to control yourself is the key to using a weapon properly. I remember what a cop asked me when I had just shot a guy who had broken my nose while his co-conspirator was choking me-the cop said why didn't you shoot them both several times. I answered-NO NEED TO-the first shot ended the threat. The Watch commander nearby said-someone trained that boy well. That was Truth.

Now I had never been mugged before. I had never shot someone. But I had trained with that pistol and how to respond. Training worked. The police investigator noted to the court most people would have just kept pulling the trigger

I didnt

_________
Then I guess my post was a educated guess too.

An 8 year old thinking to call 911 is a far cry from him thinking "I'll get the gun" and the pulling the trigger.

you are clearly not understanding reality. under pressure people resort to their training. sometimes that fails. sometimes no matter what you do you lose but your solution-to not train someone is idiotic. My son will have a better chance if that improbable scenario comes to pass then your kid.

He is also training in TKD as well. Discipline and the ability to control yourself is the key to using a weapon properly. I remember what a cop asked me when I had just shot a guy who had broken my nose while his co-conspirator was choking me-the cop said why didn't you shoot them both several times. I answered-NO NEED TO-the first shot ended the threat. The Watch commander nearby said-someone trained that boy well. That was Truth.

Now I had never been mugged before. I had never shot someone. But I had trained with that pistol and how to respond. Training worked. The police investigator noted to the court most people would have just kept pulling the trigger

I didnt

So you have no guarantee that your kid's training will come in handy? Good to know. I have not made the argument that the solution is not to train so this is strawman. I said that we should wait till kids are mature enough to handle the responsibilities firearms carry. I believe the chances of kids using their training to hurt others is more likely then to protect themselves. Specially when they're taught from such a young age. We should wait until they're mature enough.

An 8 year old thinking to call 911 is a far cry from him thinking "I'll get the gun" and the pulling the trigger.

edify me as to your experience as a parent of an 8 year old then we will compare notes:mrgreen:

edify me as to your experience as a parent of an 8 year old then we will compare notes:mrgreen:

I dunno I took care of my cousin Nathaniels kids when he was sent to Kabul last year(he's a single parent). They were 8 and 10 then. They stayed in my house for 9 months. Then theres my nieces a few doors down who sleep over every weekend. They're 6 and 7. Finally theres my half brother who comes over every summer. He's 5. From my dad's current marriage.

I dunno I took care of my cousin Nathaniels kids when he was sent to Kabul last year(he's a single parent). They were 8 and 10 then. They stayed in my house for 9 months. Then theres my nieces a few doors down who sleep over every weekend. They're 6 and 7. Finally theres my half brother who comes over every summer. He's 5. From my dad's current marriage.

we will talk in say 15 or so years, then perhaps the conversation will be useful

So you have no guarantee that your kid's training will come in handy? Good to know. I have not made the argument that the solution is not to train so this is strawman. I said that we should wait till kids are mature enough to handle the responsibilities firearms carry. I believe the chances of kids using their training to hurt others is more likely then to protect themselves. Specially when they're taught from such a young age. We should wait until they're mature enough.[/QUOTE
_______
When are kids "mature enough?"
My cousin has a farm in Minn. and he lives 1/2 to 1 hour from the nearest sherrif that would help them if they called 911. ALL his kids were trained to shoot first and ask questions later if any one would be wanting to hurt them.
He trains them when they are 7 years old or when he feels they could handle a weapon. They start off using 22's then he progress' them as he feels they are ready.
What do you think people do when they live 30-50 miles from any help? Tell the kids to tell the intruder to wait while they dial 911 and wait till help arrives an hour later?
One thing you need to realise is that many people live miles and miles away from help.

Back
Top Bottom