• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should businesses be forced to serve customers?

csbrown28

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Most of you are aware of the case about the Christian shop owners that didn't want to server the gay couple on religious grounds, but for those that support the idea that people shouldn't be allowed to discriminate based on gender preference, is there any justification in your mind for turning away a paying customer?

What if the shop owners were Jewish cake makers and they were asked to bake a cake celebrating the anniversary of the holocaust? I mean certainly, while a vile thing to do, is still protected under law. Should the shop owners, in this case, be forced to bake the cake?

The reason I ask the question isn't meant to support what I believe, but to provoke thought.

Honestly I'm most interested in those that think the answer to the religious example is yes, but of course everyone is welcome to answer.

that chocolate icing on the cake would be made of X-Lax

but how difficult is it to come up with a reason not to serve a customer other than because of their age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability

in your example, sorry mr stormfront but we are back ordered and cannot have your cake available by thus and so date that you need it

the prospective customer is in no position to document the actual reason his request is denied, so he has to get back in his mom's car and return to the basement empty handed

The clear and unsubtle difference between your example and the wedding cake example is that one involves discrimination, the other one doesn't. It is not discrimination if the shop owners offer their assortment of cakes to all customers regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. If the shop doesn't offer a "Holocaust celebration cake" then that's that, end of story. There is nothing in the law that compels the shop to offer a particular product that it doesn't sell, or want to sell, to begin with. But the products that it does offer should be available to all unless the customer is being violent or disruptive.

Last edited:
Most of you are aware of the case about the Christian shop owners that didn't want to server the gay couple on religious grounds, but for those that support the idea that people shouldn't be allowed to discriminate based on gender preference, is there any justification in your mind for turning away a paying customer?

What if the shop owners were Jewish cake makers and they were asked to bake a cake celebrating the anniversary of the holocaust? I mean certainly, while a vile thing to do, is still protected under law. Should the shop owners, in this case, be forced to bake the cake?

The reason I ask the question isn't meant to support what I believe, but to provoke thought.

Honestly I'm most interested in those that think the answer to the religious example is yes, but of course everyone is welcome to answer.

Well, honestly I can't imagine anyone that would be celebrating the Holocaust would want a Jew to bake a cake for them. Remember - they felt that Jews were beneath them.

But for the question as a whole, no you should not be able to discriminate, for any reason. If you open your doors to the public, you open your doors to the public, no matter who they are. The only reason you could refuse service would be if they were being disruptive or causing problems. But race? Ethnicity? Sexual orientation? No, shouldn't be allowed to discriminate at all.

The clear and unsubtle difference between your example and the wedding cake example is that one involves discrimination, the other one doesn't. It is not discrimination if the shop owners offer their assortment of cakes to all customers regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. If the shop doesn't offer a "Holocaust celebration cake" then that's that, end of story. There is nothing in the law that compels the shop to offer a particular product that it doesn't sell, or want to sell, to begin with. But the products that it does offer should be available to all unless the customer is being violent or disruptive.

So you agree that a bakery should not be forced to make a wedding cake that symbolizes a so-called same-sex-marriage? Or are you just being hypocritical?

godwin'd by the OP. nice.

a coherent, cogent, well thought out post. unfortunately lacking in emotion and vitriol; your point won't be observed.

To answer the OP: obviously businesses shouldn't be forced to produce products which they do not want to produce. This is fundamentally different from not wanting to sell the products one does produce to a customer because of the gender, race, or other characteristics of that person.

Example: A bakery should not be forced to produce a different sort of wedding cake than the ones they produce regularly and on their own initiative. They can however not refuse to sell one of those wedding cakes to a customer because they don't approve of the customer's life style.

Example: A bakery should not be forced to produce a different sort of wedding cake than the ones they produce regularly and on their own initiative. They can however not refuse to sell one of those wedding cakes to a customer because they don't approve of the customer's life style.

What about customer's skin color?

It is typical of the irrational and blind intolerance surrounding the debate about so-called same-sex marriage that people lose the ability to see the difference between refusing to sell a wedding cake to a gay customer (denial of service) and refusing to make a cake that shows a same-sex couple (freedom of a business to determine its own product line).

I actually said quite the opposite. Can you read?

what am I supposed to read?
you said exactly that?

SF7OwkE.png

what am I supposed to read?
you said exactly that?

SF7OwkE.png

I guess English is too difficult for you. What about the sentence "they can however not refuse to sell ..." don't you understand? Maybe the word not has a different meaning for you than the one I attribute to it.

I guess English is too difficult for you. What about the sentence "they can however not refuse to sell ..." don't you understand? Maybe the word not has a different meaning for you than the one I attribute to it.

LMAO @ you pretending your typo changes the meaning/content of your post.

Why would you post that message --- at all--- if that's what you meant?

LMAO @ you pretending your typo changes the meaning/content of your post.

Why would you post that message --- at all--- if that's what you meant?

What "typo"? I can't help it if you completely misread what I wrote.

What "typo"? I can't help it if you completely misread what I wrote.

alright, time to clear the air

yes, or no

should a business be allowed to refuse service to someone based on their sexual orientation?

should a business be allowed to refuse service to someone based on their skin color?

should a business be allowed to refuse service to someone based on their gender?

should a business be allowed to refuse service to someone based on their religion?

alright, time to clear the air

yes, or no

should a business be allowed to refuse service to someone based on their sexual orientation?

should a business be allowed to refuse service to someone based on their skin color?

should a business be allowed to refuse service to someone based on their gender?

should a business be allowed to refuse service to someone based on their religion?

I already very clearly wrote in this thread that a business should not be allowed to refuse the regular service it provides to customers based on race, gender, sexual orientation, political beliefs, religion, what have you.

Just as I clearly wrote that businesses should not be forced to provide a specific new product just because a customer wants that product.

I already very clearly wrote in this thread that a business should not be allowed to refuse the regular service it provides to customers based on race, gender, sexual orientation, political beliefs, religion, what have you.

Just as I clearly wrote that businesses should not be forced to provide a specific new product just because a customer wants that product.

and where did you write that?

To answer the OP: obviously businesses shouldn't be forced to produce products which they do not want to produce. This is fundamentally different from not wanting to sell the products one does produce to a customer because of the gender, race, or other characteristics of that person.

so does your "example" extend to 'customer's ethnic predilections' ?

Back
Top Bottom