• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Bush's 'Mission Accomplished' Banner Hang In His Presidential Library?

Should Bush's 'Mission Accomplished' Banner Hang In His Presidential Library?

• Total voters

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Does he want it to?

That was the most misunderstood sign in history. The "Mission Accomplished" was the ship's mission and the war...not the peace keeping and nation building that followed.

Yes, I think that would be quite fitting. It's one of the iconic moments of his presidency. Of course, it most likely wont be there since it makes Bush look like an incompetent failure. But it belongs in a museum.

who cares.

Why write posts like this?

Yes, I think that would be quite fitting. It's one of the iconic moments of his presidency. Of course, it most likely wont be there since it makes Bush look like an incompetent failure. But it belongs in a museum.

it appears more logical than the BDS nonsense you posted.

Who knows?

He does address it with some humility in his book. As a space consideration I would think a photo would be more likely than the banner itself if anything.

If you are that concerned about it, why not use the contact info on the centers web site & make a polite suggestion?

If you are that concerned about it, why not use the contact info on the centers web site & make a polite suggestion?

Well, I'm not that concerned, I was just quoting Indiana Jones.

If I was him I wouldn't want it in my library.

I voted "no" but I should've voted "other."

If the man wants it in his library, I say go for it. Otherwise, no.

We all make mistakes, nobody enjoys having their noses rubbed in it. Personally, I don't think Bush deserves to have his nose rubbed in it in his frigging Presidential library.

I don't get the purpose of Presidential libraries, but I at least get that that's not the place where you make fun of a President.

Does he want it to?

That was the most misunderstood sign in history. The "Mission Accomplished" was the ship's mission and the war...not the peace keeping and nation building that followed.
The sign matched the speech President Bush gave:

Excerpt:
In this battle, we have fought for the cause of liberty, and for the peace of the world. Our nation and our coalition are proud of this accomplishment — yet it is you, the members of the United States military, who achieved it. Your courage — your willingness to face danger for your country and for each other — made this day possible. Because of you, our nation is more secure. Because of you, the tyrant has fallen, and Iraq is free.

Operation Iraqi Freedom was carried out with a combination of precision, and speed, and boldness the enemy did not expect, and the world had not seen before. From distant bases or ships at sea, we sent planes and missiles that could destroy an enemy division, or strike a single bunker. Marines and soldiers charged to Baghdad across 350 miles of hostile ground, in one of the swiftest advances of heavy arms in history. You have shown the world the skill and the might of the American Armed Forces.

Text Of Bush Speech - CBS News

Misunderstood? Not.

Its his Library it should 100% be up to him.

George Bush has recentley claimed that he regrets the Mission Accomplised sign.

I voted "no" but I should've voted "other."

If the man wants it in his library, I say go for it. Otherwise, no.

We all make mistakes, nobody enjoys having their noses rubbed in it. Personally, I don't think Bush deserves to have his nose rubbed in it in his frigging Presidential library.

I don't get the purpose of Presidential libraries, but I at least get that that's not the place where you make fun of a President.

On that Mr. Dan we are in complee agreement. Scary, huh? ;)

I think you'd probably find that we agree on more than you might think -- I'm just more vocal on things I don't like than I am on things I do like. :)

Yes. It should hang there as an example of just how much he did suck.

I vote other, Yes only if Monica Lewinsky's semen stained blue dress has to hang in Clinton's presidential library.

Well, fair is fair.

Hell, let them preserve their illusions about their legacies. None of them are perfect, besides we're just paying for it. :eek:

Well, fair is fair.

Hell, let them preserve their illusions about their legacies. None of them are perfect, besides we're just paying for it. :eek:

I believe that presidents raise private money to pay for their libraries.

I believe that presidents raise private money to pay for their libraries.

According to this site is a combination of tax payers and private donations.

Presidential Library FAQ - Emily Yoffe - Slate Magazine
Who pays for a presidential library?

Both private citizens and taxpayers. Before any bricks get laid, a private foundation is created to raise the money for the both the building and an endowment to run special programs and exhibits. In order to keep former presidents from erecting another Great Pyramid in their honor, the government requires that the bigger the square footage, the bigger the endowment. Once the building is dedicated, the library is turned over to the National Archives and Records Administration, which runs it, paying for both the staff, such as a director and archivists--who are federal employees--and much of the maintenance.

Both private citizens and taxpayers. Before any bricks get laid, a private foundation is created to raise the money for the both the building and an endowment to run special programs and exhibits. In order to keep former presidents from erecting another Great Pyramid in their honor, the government requires that the bigger the square footage, the bigger the endowment. Once the building is dedicated, the library is turned over to the National Archives and Records Administration, which runs it, paying for both the staff, such as a director and archivists--who are federal employees--and much of the maintenance.

Thanks, good to know.

We also provide them with an office & staff for as long as they feel the need, usually not located at their library. Pres. Clinton for example has his office in Harlem, while his library is in Little Rock, Arkansas.

As a humorous aside, there were both real estate & funding controversies during the construction of Clinton's Monument to himself.

The sign matched the speech President Bush gave:

Excerpt:

Misunderstood? Not.

Sounds like he was saying that we had removed Hussein as the leader of Iraq and made Iraq more free and that our mission (and by our, I include myself, because I was on that ship and there in that crowd on the flight deck when he made the speech) was done. Which was absolutely true for us. We had been out to sea since Aug. 02, including supporting Operation Enduring Freedom months before OIF, and the only ones that were actually "home" when he made the speech were the airwing. The ship's crew still had another 3 days til we made it home to Washington.

As for the words of his speech, he felt that we were safer without Hussein in power (I agree, I just disagree on how we tried to operate in Iraq after doing that). The part that is misunderstood is that Bush didn't have hindsight then to tell him that ensuring that Iraq remained free would take many more years and in truth, might never be accomplished if the people can't get over their hate of each other. He never actually said in his speech that OIF was complete anyway. He said that Iraq was free. He also only said that major military operations in the country were complete, which was kind of true, especially for the Navy. The only major part of OIF the Navy actually participated in was Shock and Awe. The rest of the Navy's contribution was/has been in a support role.

That it's such a hugely remembered part of the Iraq war is enough to argue that the banner should be preserved in some way. However I'm somewhat indifferent as to where it's kept, as long as it's looked after properly so that it doesn't get damaged.

It's a pretty significant part of his Presidential history. And I think the explanation should show why he had that banner up, that they had successfully completed their mission to topple Saddam Hussein and combat operations against Saddam's army had been successfully completed. Then he should also include what he says in his book about it and what he told Matt Lauer about how it probably wasn't a good choice to use that to congratulate the troops and that it was perceived wrong.

Democrats insist Al Qaeda wasn't in Iraq before we got there, so I don't know why they think it would be so odd that Bush declared mission accomplished after toppling the Saddam government and defeating his armies. How was he supposed to know Al Qaeda would then make that country the focus of their war on the US?

Back
Top Bottom