• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Bannon be jailed for failure to comply with House subpoena's

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It seems like Bannon might have jail in his future for failing to comply with the House subpoena's. There are several more steps to go before that can happen, but is seems probable that either he complies at some point or go to jail. Do you believe he deserves to go to jail for his failure to comply?

Using the out that some posters have used on DP, it may end up for the courts to decide. Personally, Bannon should testify. If he does not, there should be ramifications.

That said. It will be interesting to see if any of the posters who were outraged that Maricopa County Board of Supervisors didn't comply at first to a subpoena from the State Senate President Fann over routers. They gave Logan a pass on refusing a court order to hand over documents regarding the audit.

So Trump supporters, a Senate Committee issued a subpoena. Is it ok for Bannon to ignore?

It seems like Bannon might have jail in his future for failing to comply with the House subpoena's. There are several more steps to go before that can happen, but is seems probable that either he complies at some point or go to jail. Do you believe he deserves to go to jail for his failure to comply?
I'm hoping Congress will use the inherent contempt powers that they have. Wait until DoJ says there is a basis for contempt, and then send the House Sergeant at Arms and some Capitol Police and pick him up. Detain him until he appears, or until the end of the Congressional term.

I think Bannon should take this to the limit myself, then at the last minute agree to appear

Then....sit there and say absolutely NOTHING

Answer zero questions....dont take the 5th.....just sit there and be photographed

He should see the inside of a cell, but that won't happen.

At the most he will be slapped with heavy monetary fines.

I'm hoping Congress will use the inherent contempt powers that they have. Wait until DoJ says there is a basis for contempt (although they don, and then send the House Sergeant at Arms and some Capitol Police and pick him up. Detain him until he appears, or until the end of the Congressional term.

He should absolutely go to jail for ignoring the subpoena.

I think Bannon should take this to the limit myself, then at the last minute agree to appear

I wondered the same thing. The idea makes me mad because some people are going to claim that his silence is proof of his innocence. jeeeez !

I wondered the same thing. The idea makes me mad because some people are going to claim that his silence is proof of his innocence. jeeeez !
this committee is a farce....and the GOP knows it

they are hoping to use it to make the GOP look bad for Nov 22 midterms

best of luck.....

So the GOP is NOT going to help them in any way prolong this political theatre

If there is proof of wrongdoing by ANY MEMBER of the GOP, let the FBI and other law enforcement agencies deal with gathering the evidence, and then turn it over to the AG and DOJ for prosecution

We are not going to idly sit by and let Nancy and her cohorts play political theatre though without making it tough on them

best of luck.....

If there is proof of wrongdoing by ANY MEMBER of the GOP, let the FBI and other law enforcement agencies deal with gathering the evidence, and then turn it over to the AG and DOJ for prosecution

We are not going to idly sit by and let Nancy and her cohorts play political theatre though without making it tough on them
I might not agree, but I understand what you're saying. I want to pick on your second sentence there, I think the GOP doesn't need anyone else to make them look bad. They do that all by themselves.

I might not agree, but I understand what you're saying. I want to pick on your second sentence there, I think the GOP doesn't need anyone else to make them look bad. They do that all by themselves.
in a lot of cases i dont disagree

best of luck.....

So,apparently you do not care that these people tried to overturn an election and by doing so committed an insurrection, you can look up the definition. Gopers seem fine with investigations that help them politically like the eight they had into Benghazi, but a real investigation into one of the worst riots in American history is just political? That is not only pitiful, but anti-American and anti-democracy. It is because wo many of them may be caught up in the investigation that they want this to go away, as do their followers.

So,apparently you do not care that these people tried to overturn an election and by doing so committed an insurrection, you can look up the definition. Gopers seem fine with investigations that help them politically like the eight they had into Benghazi, but a real investigation into one of the worst riots in American history is just political? That is not only pitiful, but anti-American and anti-democracy. It is because wo many of them may be caught up in the investigation that they want this to go away, as do their followers.

show me proof that GOP people were behind the riot.....the FBI has been investigating this for 8 months + now.....

Has any of the people identified to be the "leaders" of the radical group agreed to testify against ANYONE in the GOP?

These people are facing hard time in Leavenworth....and none are rolling? What does that tell you? or are you just playing stupid now?

Congress is not going to GET INFORMATION that the law enforcement agencies havent been able to get....

Again...this is kabuki theatre with one purpose in mind.....make the GOP look bad if possible

If anyone in the GOP is found to be involved by the FBI or other agencies, you can lock them up and throw away the key....but until then, spare me the histrionics of the overblown riot from Jan 6th....

The people involved have either been caught, or are being pursued....and are being prosecuted.....

Can you say the same for the riots from the prior summer that hit the cities?

I challenge anyone to show me where executive privilege is in the constitution.

Some people are going to claim that his silence is proof of his guilt. jeeeez !

Not jail, but a heavy fine and probation.

show me proof that GOP people were behind the riot.....the FBI has been investigating this for 8 months + now.....

Has any of the people identified to be the "leaders" of the radical group agreed to testify against ANYONE in the GOP?

These people are facing hard time in Leavenworth....and none are rolling? What does that tell you? or are you just playing stupid now?

Congress is not going to GET INFORMATION that the law enforcement agencies havent been able to get....

Again...this is kabuki theatre with one purpose in mind.....make the GOP look bad if possible

If anyone in the GOP is found to be involved by the FBI or other agencies, you can lock them up and throw away the key....but until then, spare me the histrionics of the overblown riot from Jan 6th....

The people involved have either been caught, or are being pursued....and are being prosecuted.....

Can you say the same for the riots from the prior summer that hit the cities?
THere has been no report from the DOJ YET, and that is what this House investigation will get at, which is why the GOP wants to shut it down.

best of luck.....

name an investigation by this Congress which would inadvertently be against Republicans that you would consider legitimate?

Before you answer that question, remember, inadvertently, is the operative word. See, the fact is that the capitol was attacked and they are investigating an attack and so it wasn't congress's fault that the vast majority of them were Republicans. The sad fact is that out of all of the Republicans in the Senate only two understand this concept

NONE is the answer of course which proves that it is you who are the partisan in this equation.

Conducting investigations is one of the penumbra powers of congress per the SCOTUS. The capitol was attacked and Congress has every right to investigate to get to the bottom of why it was attacked and perhaps recommend new legislation to prevent such in the future not to mention any criminal referrals they find along the way.

Any egregious effort by Republicans to make it " tough on Nancy" as you put it would be a criminal act called contempt or obstruction of Congress.

Last edited:

best of luck.....

Like you sat idly by and let Trey Gowdy and his cohorts play political theatre with dozens of Benghazi and "her emails" investigations?

Answer zero questions....dont take the 5th.....just sit there and be photographed
Why would you think that's a good thing? Is lawlessness a virtue now? If there were no consequences, it would mean no one would ever need to comply with any Congressional subpoena for anything, ever again.

best of luck.....

Great, so if the targets of any future Congressional investigation, or their followers, say they believe the committee's investigation is a farce, they should also not comply because....why again? And I guess the argument goes that if it's not illegal, and prosecutable, it's not worth knowing about, and Congress should never investigate anything ever again, because there's always an FBI or other law enforcement agency available, and nothing else matters, ever again, but whether there is a prosecutable crime.

I'm hoping Congress will use the inherent contempt powers that they have. Wait until DoJ says there is a basis for contempt, and then send the House Sergeant at Arms and some Capitol Police and pick him up. Detain him until he appears, or until the end of the Congressional term.

That's not really how it seems to work. If Congress wanted to use inherent contempt, there's no need for DoJ, but they have almost never used it; instead they are using criminal contempt, and it's being sent to DoJ tomorrow, and if DoJ agrees then DoJ charges and arrests as needed. It's if DoJ didn't agree to charge they have to decide whether to use inherent contempt.

THere has been no report from the DOJ YET, and that is what this House investigation will get at, which is why the GOP wants to shut it down.
A DoJ report is no replacement for the Congressional investigation. The Congressional investigation is broader.

Back
Top Bottom