• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should anti-radar/laser/redlight camera products be illegal?

Should anti-radar/laser/redlight products be illegal?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
Let me clarify something... Some things I wrote of above are VERY illegal - and in ways the police and courts would be EXTREMELY unforgiving about. Also, what is and isn't legal, and the related punishments involved - vary from state to state and even city to city. Rather, I'm pointing out some real problems I have with how enforcement and application of traffic laws are applied and enforced. Personally, I think there should be physical confirmation of who the driver is before anyone gets a ticket - parking tickets excluded from that. That's my point to that particular topic I raised.

Last edited:
Each person has different attitudes (instinctive or calculated) towards both law and police. Some see both as inherently good, some as always bad, and those with a view in-between. My "instinct" is to not care what law is OTHER than practical aspects of risks versus benefits of breaking it, odds of get caught etc - and to avoid police. In my youth until leaving at age 15, I did not know there was such a thing as laws, cops and courts.

After leaving until 6-7 years ago, my only interests was in avoiding cops if I could and how to interact with them if I couldn't. Laws, cops and courts never did anything good for me or anyone as I saw it, rather only were risks and dangers. It still is my sense that if I am going to stop at a restaurant in another city and there are 4 cop cars there? I won't stop.

Yet there may be merit in that view. A friend of a friend sort of thing stopped at a C-store in his old car on the side of the building, 3 police cars in the front. He stopped to get a soda pop and check his oil, having oil in the trunk as it was an oil-burned. Two of the officers walked around, asked him what he was doing and looked in his open truck full of tools and junk, including a bolt cutter. He had used it to cut the cable that had a rusted out lock for his boat trailer. Unknown to him, someone had been stealing propane tanks at the rack directly across where he was parked. They took him in for possession of a burglary tool and investigation for those burglaries. They let him go quickly because he had a clean record etc, but could have charged him, made him post bond and go thru the whole works.

If a cop stops me, I don't just have to worry about if I'm wanted or breaking any laws. I also have to rely that the cop is legitimate. He could claim I have heroin in my car if he wants to with him just claiming he found it in my car. Never happened to me, no cop ever did wrong by me, never. Never did anything for me either, though. But, still, there is that danger. Finally, it is my preference to live my life as I wish, and laws are specifically for the purpose of preventing people from doing so - whether a good law or a bad one. Anyway, that is just now I tend to "feel" about it and why.

The license plate flipper or black-out shield isn't necessarily to allow breaking laws. It also is an anti-theft device. Whenever I park a car for a long time, I remove the plate. I always remove a trailer plate. Trailers are easy and commonly stolen. A torch will eliminate the VIN and it can be sold for hundreds of dollars roadside by the thief (or on ebay etc), and would cost me far more to replace. It's a pain to pull the distributer wire on a car every time you part it.

With a plate flipper it could stay "STOLEN CAR!" "STOLEN TRUCK" or "STOLEN TRAILER" on the flip side. Police would stop it on that. Thieves tend to go after easy targets. They wouldn't know if that meant it was already a stolen vehicle or trailer and would have to figure how to get a different plate on it, unlikely realizing it was a plate flipper. With a black plate shield they would think it didn't have a plate, and around here every trailer without a plate is pulled over rather quickly because particularly boat trailer theft is so common.

Back
Top Bottom