• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should an employer be legally required to have a reason to fire an employee?

Should employers be legally required to provide a reason for firing?

• Total voters
although it's cute that you think that employees being fired would give up their anger and plans to sue if employers simply told them that they were being fired for a reason,

I don't think this at all. I think giving a reason is meaningless. I think NOT giving a reason is more practical, as "most american's are self entitled sue happy people."

I think it is the other guy that thinks that.

Note that in my first post in this thread I specified that today's litigious realities are why I don't think it would be a good idea.

So the Question becomes in my mind, if I don't need a reason to fire a person, shouldn't that make litigation for wrongful termination moot? If asked why I fired them I say I don't like her. Well no we think you fired her for having IVF, or being a woman or being black etc. My point being, If I can fire you FOR ANY REASON, why does the reason make a difference?

The third post in this thread starts right in on the hyperbole. Why is it that threads like this never get past that point?

Anyway, I guess I will respond to your post. I don't think people are honest and I don't think honest or lack of honestly has anything to do with it. I can't imagine how they have control over other people when its their business and their money that exists for their purposes or why you think that is so, to be perfectly frank. The hiring of the individual is the will of the employer and if they want whoever it might to stay around is also the will of the employer. Its really that simple. There is nothing hard to understand here, its a simple property rights and liberty argument that forming a certain standard for firing people is basically saying you have a right to their property and a right to force people to do what you desire. The fact is if anyone here feels entitled its the people that believe the employer has to give a reason to not allow someone to not use their property, and believes that they have a right to force people to continue acts they have no willingness to do for the benefit of the other party. Before you tell people who is entitled, maybe you should check it first.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…