• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should American laws be determined by the Pope?

You're mistaken about the Catholic obligation to obey the Pope as when the pope gives his opinions on the climate change hoax, for example. But these justices are morally bound to uphold God's moral teaching as reflected in the church's stance on abortion, birth control, and gay marriage. God's unwavering moral laws always trump inferior manmade laws to the contrary.

The Pope on healthcare...

"For this reason, I urge healthcare institutions and government leaders throughout the world not to neglect social justice out of a preoccupation for financial concerns," he said.

The Catholic Church's position on health care...

"Reform efforts must begin with the principle that decent health care is not a privilege, but a right and a requirement to protect the life and dignity of every person. ... The bishops' conference believes health care reform should be truly universal and it should be genuinely affordable" (italics in original).

The churches position on the death penalty...
"Recourse to the death penalty on the part of legitimate authority, following a fair trial, was long considered an appropriate response to the gravity of certain crimes and an acceptable, albeit extreme, means of safeguarding the common good," the new teaching reads.

Now, it states that "there is an increasing awareness that the dignity of the person is not lost even after the commission of very serious crimes."

With Trumps latest SC pick we will have a majority of 5 Justices on the court that are of the Roman Catholic faith. Catholics are bound by their religion to obey the Pope or be excommunicated so my question is do we now want the Pope to be in charge of our laws? Is that even legal under the Constitution?
Do you realize JFK was a Catholic?

oh WAIT. You are too young to know who he was.

Do you realize JFK was a Catholic?

oh WAIT. You are too young to know who he was.
I am just saying that imposing laws based entirely on religious beliefs seems to me to be profoundly wrong in so many ways. The U.S is not a theocracy like Iran. How would you like it if we had enough Moslem Judges to impose Sharia law? Would that bother you?

I am just saying that imposing laws based entirely on religious beliefs seems to me to be profoundly wrong in so many ways. The U.S is not a theocracy like Iran. How would you like it if we had enough Moslem Judges to impose Sharia law? Would that bother you?
Wasn’t a problem for a Democrat President was it?

With Trumps latest SC pick we will have a majority of 5 Justices on the court that are of the Roman Catholic faith. Catholics are bound by their religion to obey the Pope or be excommunicated so my question is do we now want the Pope to be in charge of our laws?

HELL no. I don't want the Pope or the RCC to be making the laws in the U.S., on anything. And yes, I believe that would be unconstitutional, considering the first words of the First Amendment.

So that could include a SC justice who rules in favor of legal abortion then. Do we really want that in a SC Justice?

Do I want a Justice who would vote to uphold Roe v. Wade? Yes, absolutely. Do I think she would vote to uphold Roe if a case came up? I'm not so sure. So, if I were a senator on the Judiciary Committee (yes, I know I'm not), I would vote against confirming her.

Who is the Head Atheist? If it's a choice between him and the Pope, I'll take the Pope.

Which is irrelevant, as both the RCC and the Pope are excluded from making laws in the United States, by law. And thank goodness for that.

The pope is in charge of the Catholics, should NEVER be in charge of our laws! Keep religion out of government!

In the U.S., the first words of the First Amendment have already done that.

Is there any foreigner who you would not like to lead this country? We already have Putin calling the shots for Trump now we will have the Pope determining our laws too?

Well, that’s not a very bright question. Of course, there is no foreigner who will ever lead this country. Putin calls no shots, and the Pope still won’t.
Fortunately, Hilarity didn’t get her grubby hands on the White House either, so our worries are resolved. You really should listen to something other than MSNBC to get your information and screwed up opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean because of State laws I assume. How long before those laws are overturned too? There will be a new black market for abortions too. The back alley butchers will be the real beneficiaries of this reactionary insanity.

The “reactionary insanity” is caused by liberal desires for “on demand” abortions. As soon as that travesty stops, rational medically necessary abortions will continue go forward, as they should. It’s the “all or nothing” mindset that needs to be expunged.

The “reactionary insanity” is caused by liberal desires for “on demand” abortions. As soon as that travesty stops, rational medically necessary abortions will continue go forward, as they should. It’s the “all or nothing” mindset that needs to be expunged.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On demand applies to 1st trimester only. The states without restrictions on 2nd trimester abortions require doctor/ patient consultation. These are the states that have confidence in the intelligence and professionalism of the medical personnel in the state. Other states act like the medical profession is a bunch of criminals and women are all sluts. They enact innumerable laws, restrictions, delaying tactics, requirements and regulation on medical personnel doing abortions even in the 1st trimester and the women who seek them. These are the states that are actually trying to ban abortion by overwhelming it with the law.

The fact is anti-abortion states believe that men should be controlling women's reproductive lives.

On demand applies to 1st trimester only. The states without restrictions on 2nd trimester abortions require doctor/ patient consultation. These are the states that have confidence in the intelligence and professionalism of the medical personnel in the state. Other states act like the medical profession is a bunch of criminals and women are all sluts. They enact innumerable laws, restrictions, delaying tactics, requirements and regulation on medical personnel doing abortions even in the 1st trimester and the women who seek them. These are the states that are actually trying to ban abortion by overwhelming it with the law.

The fact is anti-abortion states believe that men should be controlling women's reproductive lives.

The fact is , you don’t know what you are talking about.

Which is irrelevant, as both the RCC and the Pope are excluded from making laws in the United States, by law. And thank goodness for that.

Yeah, but that wasn’t the question.

The “reactionary insanity” is caused by liberal desires for “on demand” abortions. As soon as that travesty stops, rational medically necessary abortions will continue go forward, as they should. It’s the “all or nothing” mindset that needs to be expunged.

On demand is the law. No reason required

The fact is , you don’t know what you are talking about.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So what part of ...............Blue States act like women and doctors are reasonably intelligent and trust them to make intelligent decisions and Red States act like assholes about women, doctors, sex, abortion, sex ed, contraceptives, rape, incest, and the law ................... do you think I got wrong?

So what part of ...............Blue States act like women and doctors are reasonably intelligent and trust them to make intelligent decisions and Red States act like assholes about women, doctors, sex, abortion, sex ed, contraceptives, rape, incest, and the law ................... do you think I got wrong?

All of it. Try again with punctuation and facts.

That still, small voice that says: He’s right!

You're mistaken about the Catholic obligation to obey the Pope as when the pope gives his opinions on the climate change hoax, for example. But these justices are morally bound to uphold God's moral teaching as reflected in the church's stance on abortion, birth control, and gay marriage. God's unwavering moral laws always trump inferior manmade laws to the contrary.
That would be an egregious sin for a Catholic judge to make law based on the Catholic cult's misinterpretation of the Bible or on God's Word, period. It goes against God's Will.

God gave us all free will to choose to follow Him or not. To choose to follow His Word, His Law, or not. It would be a huge sin and arrogant usurpation of His Authority to choose to force His Word on man thru man's law.

How do you justify such an enormous sin? To disobey God's Will like that?

That would be an egregious sin for a Catholic judge to make law based on the Catholic cult's misinterpretation of the Bible or on God's Word, period. It goes against God's Will.

God gave us all free will to choose to follow Him or not. To choose to follow His Word, His Law, or not. It would be a huge sin and arrogant usurpation of His Authority to choose to force His Word on man thru man's law.

How do you justify such an enormous sin? To disobey God's Will like that?
Your posts are getting sillier by the day. By your 'logic', we couldn't have laws against murder since Christianity forbids it.

The Pope on healthcare...

"For this reason, I urge healthcare institutions and government leaders throughout the world not to neglect social justice out of a preoccupation for financial concerns," he said.

The Catholic Church's position on health care...

"Reform efforts must begin with the principle that decent health care is not a privilege, but a right and a requirement to protect the life and dignity of every person. ... The bishops' conference believes health care reform should be truly universal and it should be genuinely affordable" (italics in original).

The churches position on the death penalty...
"Recourse to the death penalty on the part of legitimate authority, following a fair trial, was long considered an appropriate response to the gravity of certain crimes and an acceptable, albeit extreme, means of safeguarding the common good," the new teaching reads.

Now, it states that "there is an increasing awareness that the dignity of the person is not lost even after the commission of very serious crimes."

I already said the pope is entitled to his opinion to be followed or not. He also never said government should pay for healthcare. They can see to it people have it by enacting a great private sector system. Individuals voluntarily helping individuals. Just like Jesus taught.

Back
Top Bottom