• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should American laws be determined by the Pope?

iguanaman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
With Trumps latest SC pick we will have a majority of 5 Justices on the court that are of the Roman Catholic faith. Catholics are bound by their religion to obey the Pope or be excommunicated so my question is do we now want the Pope to be in charge of our laws? Is that even legal under the Constitution?

JFK was on the Supreme Court who are the final say in all of our laws?
did the catholic president, JFK, guide our country in the pope's interest or to advance our nation's interests?

With Trumps latest SC pick we will have a majority of 5 Justices on the court that are of the Roman Catholic faith. Catholics are bound by their religion to obey the Pope or be excommunicated so my question is do we now want the Pope to be in charge of our laws? Is that even legal under the Constitution?

Catholics are bound by their faith to live THEIR lives by the faith, not to impose it on others.

Catholics are bound by their faith to live THEIR lives by the faith, not to impose it on others.
So they can't be excommunicated if the Pope does not like what they do? I think they can be.

So they can't be excommunicated if the Pope does not like what they do? I think they can be.

If SHE has an abortion she can be excommunicated.... The Pope can excommunicate a Catholic for whatever reason they want....

If SHE has an abortion she can be excommunicated.... The Pope can excommunicate a Catholic for whatever reason they want....
So that could include a SC justice who rules in favor of legal abortion then. Do we really want that in a SC Justice?

Who is the Head Atheist? If it's a choice between him and the Pope, I'll take the Pope.

Joe Biden likely disagrees based on his religion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biden took the high road in response to barrett's pending appointment:
“Today, President Trump has nominated Judge Amy Coney Barrett as the successor to Justice Ginsburg’s seat. She has a written track record of disagreeing with the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision upholding the Affordable Care Act. She critiqued Chief Justice John Roberts’ majority opinion upholding the law in 2012,” he warned. “The American people know the U.S. Supreme Court decisions affect their everyday lives. The United States Constitution was designed to give the voters one chance to have their voice heard on who serves on the Court. That moment is now and their voice should be heard. The Senate should not act on this vacancy until after the American people select their next president and the next Congress.”

this thread took the low road

did the catholic president, JFK, guide our country in the pope's interest or to advance our nation's interests?
JFK wasn't pushing to try to take away anyone's rights like the right is.

biden took the high road in response to barrett's pending appointment:

this thread took the low road
So you agree Biden is right and the nomination should be withdrawn until after the election? That is my opinion also.

So they do not have the Pope determining their laws like we will. Our Constitution forbids the establishment of a State religion and when one religion has a majority on the highest court in the land that is the same thing. It this latest justice causes the end of the ACA and legal abortion there will be hell to pay.

So you agree Biden is right and the nomination should be withdrawn until after the election? That is my opinion also.
what is not right is to object to a nominee because of her being a member of the roman catholic church

Barrett has said many things. Including that an incoming supreme court judge should not be diametrically opposed to the judge being replaced. I suppose she has changed her mind on that one. I wonder why? I always love people who have different answers on different days. A really good quality for a supreme court justice. Oh wait, what this means is she will rule according to her personal views. Not the Constitution or the law. But in regards to the Amy Barrett law and her cult view of justice.

So they do not have the Pope determining their laws like we will. Our Constitution forbids the establishment of a State religion and when one religion has a majority on the highest court in the land that is the same thing. It this latest justice causes the end of the ACA and legal abortion there will be hell to pay.
Do you think politicians in Italy dont make their laws?
Do you think Italian Politicans arent mostly Catholic?
Do you think the Pope has excommunicated them for making abortion legal?
Do you think at all?

Now do Muslims...

Loving this silly notion that the Pope sits there in the Holy See, smoting errant Catholics, like he's the wicked witch of the West staring into the crystal ball his monkeys bring to him. It's laughable.

Back
Top Bottom