• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should America Have 1 Billion People Like China ?

Should America Have 1 Billion People Like China ?

• The great replacement is a trope and a canard, youse stop that TAAC!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Vox founder Matthew Yglesias has published a book on why he thinks the USA should have 1 billion people. He's hoping the Democratic Party will adopt his proposal, and make radical population growth a part of its platform.
With U.S.-China tensions mounting, Vox Co-Founder Matthew Yglesias believes he’s found a way for America to maintain its position as the world’s leading superpower. His proposal? Tripling America’s population, bringing it to roughly 1 billion citizens by the year 2100. The U.S. currently has about 331.4 million Americans, miles short of China’s population of 1.4 billion.

According to surveys Yglesias referenced, the ideal nuclear family has shrunk in the U.S. over the last few decades. “We need to address that. That means paid parental leave, it means investments in daycare, it means thinking about what [less affluent families] do during the summertime,” Yglesias said.

'One Billion Americans: The Case for Thinking Bigger' was inspired by Doug Saunders' book that proposed government intervention to grow Canada's population to 100 million.

I'd say it depends a lot on who the billion people are, wouldn't you think?

The perplexing thing about the left's support for massive population growth is that they were on the exact opposite side of the issue for some 60 years. They said that one positive effect of legalizing abortion was it prevents us from having large families. They said large families were bad on the environment. Now they believe that humans cause climate change, yet we need more humans? I don't understand where leftists are coming from anymore, unless theres a hidden ulterior motive to their proposals.

What do you mean?

What do you mean what do I mean? I said it depends on who the billion people are.

A billion Chinese commies? A billion medieval minded religious fanatics? A billion MS13 gang members?

Doesn't do a culture any good to exponential expand their population with the very thing that will destroy the culture and then the nation would it?

Vox founder Matthew Yglesias has published a book on why he thinks the USA should have 1 billion people. He's hoping the Democratic Party will adopt his proposal, and make radical population growth a part of its platform.

'One Billion Americans: The Case for Thinking Bigger' was inspired by Doug Saunders' book that proposed government intervention to grow Canada's population to 100 million.

Clearly against the narrative of the left's beloved AOC who asked if it's moral for people to have children with the looming threat of climate change. Who's right? We only have 10-12 years left anyway .. that's a tall order to poop out 600 million more kids.

I am torn. I think our nation could easily and comfortably accommodate a population three to four times what we have now. My main concern is whether our nation would be governable at the national level at that point. It largely depends on whether or not the vast majority of the population is made up of people who view themselves as Americans and believe at root in the foundations of the American project, most notably in American democracy, rule of law and the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. If we are simply importing as many people as we possibly can in order to maintain or expand our productivity against that of China's, but those we bring in could not care less about what most of us deem would broadly deem "American values" (or worse, actively hostile towards them), I think we are dooming ourselves and this country to dissolution.

Last edited:
I'd say it depends a lot on who the billion people are, wouldn't you think?

Well it's the GOP who want to make abortion illegal. Of course the better-off girls' sugar daddies and pastors who got them knocked up in the first place will find a way to get them 'unpregnant'. That only leaves poor people and minorities, lots of them. The only solution to 'making America Great Again' the way trumpies seem to want would then be to stop those hundreds of millions of babies voting at all. Something the GOP are well on track for anyway.

But seriously, China, like India, has had 5,000 years or more of continuous civilization on massive tracts of fertile land that can support a growing population. America has done 'well' to crack 300 million in just a couple of centuries but it can't really catch up to older countries that easily.

The perplexing thing about the left's support for massive population growth is that they were on the exact opposite side of the issue for some 60 years.
Have you considered the possibility that if your perception of a situation doesn't make sense, something about your perception is wrong?

This clearly has nothing to do with "the left". It's just one guy who wrote a book with an eye-catching and controversial headline concept to get exactly the kind of attention you're giving him so he can sell more copies and make more money. If anything, it's an expression of unregulated free-market capitalism as anything else. :cool:

Well it's the GOP who want to make abortion illegal. Of course the better-off girls' sugar daddies and pastors who got them knocked up in the first place will find a way to get them 'unpregnant'. That only leaves poor people and minorities, lots of them. The only solution to 'making America Great Again' the way trumpies seem to want would then be to stop those hundreds of millions of babies voting at all. Something the GOP are well on track for anyway.

Jeeze.... talk about diving into the deep end of the pool in your pajamas.... you have a very vivid imagination. So, you are claiming that the GOP's platform on abortion is about suppressing votes?????? That's rich! I wasn't aware that the darling of the liberal democrats Margaret Sanger was a card carrying member of the GOP? Has anyone bothered to tear her statue down yet?

But seriously, China, like India, has had 5,000 years or more of continuous civilization on massive tracts of fertile land that can support a growing population. America has done 'well' to crack 300 million in just a couple of centuries but it can't really catch up to older countries that easily.

Guess it all depends on your definition of "civilization"? Over in China after 5000 years of "civilization" they are still eating monkeys and bats and hanging wind charms on everything to scare off the ghosts. While over in India they are so "civilized" that they would rather starve than eat a cow, allowing their cows to roam the streets free and unmolested... same as their raw sewage. Nice!

Nah, I think I stick with the 300 million here. 1/3 of which at least aren't still peeling bananas with our feet.

Jeeze.... talk about diving into the deep end of the pool in your pajamas.... you have a very vivid imagination. So, you are claiming that the GOP's platform on abortion is about suppressing votes?????? That's rich!

Guess it all depends on your definition of "civilization"? Over in China after 5000 years of "civilization" they are still eating monkeys and bats and hanging wind charms on everything to scare off the ghosts. While over in India they are so "civilized" that they would rather starve than eat a cow, allowing their cows to roam the streets free and unmolested... same as their raw sewage. Nice!

Nah, I think I stick with the 300 million here. 1/3 of which at least aren't still peeling bananas with our feet.

Hey come on, I like wet pyjamas.

But my point stands: lower abortion rates probably wouldn't be good for the GOP vis-a-vis demographics, but they have voter suppression as backup I suppose.

As for the definition of civilization, that's a more honest assessment than I'd expected from the right, but I have to respectfully disagree with the condescension towards other cultures. Overcrowding is just one contributor to poverty; America is in no danger of matching their population levels - however detrimental they've become - without the millennia of continuous, successful habitation.

Back
Top Bottom