• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should America get rid of the Electoral College

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
When I look at recent threads like ...Should we look for ways to vote on issues and not on parties..... I think this is a bad idea. Why....simply because the average American would not have the time to watch congress every move ...unlike them ...we have to work for a living. And all this would do is allow old people ...and those with little to do control the country.

But if we got rid of the electoral college system ...that would allow a democratic voter in South Carolina for example and a republican voter in California to actually mean something.
I would bet money that a poll on this issue ...that would allow the people to really and truly speak ....would be resisted more by those on the right.
Why go through this sham every four years where Ohio and FL for example actually decide the presidency?

In my view ...it's the people that matter and not ..."the land" .

When you look at a MAP diving the country in red and blue ...visually...you wonder how democrats ever win an election.

But often the reality is how do they lose any election over the last 30 years..

no, in fact we need to go back to true republican government, of divided power.

repeal the 17th

democracy is the most vile form of government--james madison

repeal the 17th

Glad to see the last thing you want ...is democracy ...freedom and liberty for all.... not many right-winger are so honest and forth coming. :)

When I look at recent threads like ...Should we look for ways to vote on issues and not on parties..... I think this is a bad idea. Why....simply because the average American would not have the time to watch congress every move ...unlike them ...we have to work for a living. And all this would do is allow old people ...and those with little to do control the country.

But if we got rid of the electoral college system ...that would allow a democratic voter in South Carolina for example and a republican voter in California to actually mean something.
I would bet money that a poll on this issue ...that would allow the people to really and truly speak ....would be resisted more by those on the right.
Why go through this sham every four years where Ohio and FL for example actually decide the presidency?

When you look at a MAP diving the country in red and blue ...visually...you wonder how democrats ever win an election.

No, I've always thought the electoral college strikes a good compromise between direct election and state power. If you changed it to a direct election you'd just have people in rural areas where the amount it costs to advertise outweighs the benefits being left without really a say.

Glad to see the last thing you want ...is democracy ...freedom and liberty for all.... not many right-winger are so honest and forth coming. :)

A republic is a rule of law. A democracy can be a tyranny of the majority. A democratic republic is one where the will of the public is executed through the rule of law. That beats the hell out of pure democracy where law takes a backseat to the whim of the majority. If we had a pure democracy, the majority could vote to seize all the property of the minority and I can see why you'd feel quite happy with such a possibility. But I think the will of the people tempered by law such as we have is a much better and more civilized solution to government.

repeal the 17th

Well that's vague as hell since we are a republic. . . and the related provisions set in Articles 1 and 3 led tp a problem. It wasn't changed for frivolous and senseless reasons.

Well that's vague as hell since we are a republic. . . and the related provisions set in Articles 1 and 3 led tp a problem. It wasn't changed for frivolous and senseless reasons.

true republican government is divided power...the people and the states both (2) have power......democracy is power in only 1.

house is representation of the people, direct vote of the people.

senate is representation of the states, indirect vote of the people

president, representation of the union, indirect vote of the people

Well ..like I guessed.

Excuses after excuses .... and all sorts of ideological rationale .....but in the end the most frightening thing today to conservatives ...is actually...the will of the people!!

true republican government is divided power...the people and the states both (2) have power......democracy is power in only 1.

house is representation of the people, direct vote of the people.

senate is representation of the states, indirect vote of the people

president, representation of the union, indirect vote of the people

So - we're not a divided republican power? I think what you're presented shows that we are. . . and you're undervaluing our constituent force regarding functions of government and the presidency.

I have no issue at all if we replace it with a system where our elected federal officials (Representatives and Senators) would make the decision as this would eliminate some areas of the country overwhelming the remainder be shear ideology...

Well ..like I guessed.

Excuses after excuses .... and all sorts of ideological rationale .....but in the end the most frightening thing today to conservatives ...is actually...the will of the people!!

The most frightening thing is a true democracy...

So - we're not a divided republican power? I think what you're presented shows that we are. . . and you're undervaluing our constituent force regarding functions of government and the presidency.

with the 17th amendment this changed our government and made it more democratic, which the founders did not want.

divided power keeps tyranny at bay, because no single entity holds all the power like .....democracy which concentrates it into one...which is dangerous.

Yes the last thing we want is pure democracy cause you know what that is 3 rapists and a women citing on what defines rape.

Good evening, AP.:2wave:
I normally don't like to tinker with the Constitution.:peace

Good evening 2m, and I would agree but the notion of winner take all States in the electoral college has only served to help divide the country...

Well ..like I guessed.

will of the people, do you mean majority rule?

I have no issue at all if we replace it with a system where our elected federal officials (Representatives and Senators) would make the decision as this would eliminate some areas of the country overwhelming the remainder be shear ideology...

Hmmm. Then the President's legitimacy would not come from the whole people, but from a fraction of Congress. Doesn't immediately appeal to me.:peace

Good evening, AP. :2wave:

Could you elaborate a bit? I'm not following your thought. Sorry. :confused:

Hmmm. Then the President's legitimacy would not come from the whole people, but from a fraction of Congress. Doesn't immediately appeal to me.:peace

What fraction of Congress would that be, when the suggestion is that it is closet to the true representation of the country's will?

Good evening, AP. :2wave:

Could you elaborate a bit? I'm not following your thought. Sorry. :confused:

Good evening pg. The number of members in the Electoral College mimics State representation. It's the method of selection that is different with most States choosing a winner take all method as opposed to an apportioned method...

Back
Top Bottom